[Resolved] Opodo / couldn't modify flights because of opodo useless contact centre hours

Calle Jacinto Benavente, 2, 28232 Las Rozas,, Madrid, Spain Review updated:
Phone: +34 917 69 42 00

Because of a personal issue at home I needed to modify flights. Opodo contact centres open and close at terrible hours so to modify tickets at hours outside the hours they are open it is impossible. I actually got through to Lufthansa because I couldnt change flights through Opodo because of their ridiculous opening hours and they cancelled the first flights with the promise that the second one could be modified with a phone call. I called up this morning before the second flight would have taken off and got a message that their call centre opened at 9am. I called when they opened, got put through to different departments and then was told the flight was non refundable and non changable even with a charge because of the no show, it was only a no show because of Opodo's useless opening hours. I now need to rebook flights and will never, ever book with Opodo again. Lost all the money put into the flights easily resolved with a telephone call that couldnt be made because Opodo likes to save cash on offshore contact centre workers that dont understand much English (Or didnt when I called). My booking ref was [protected].

• Resolution statement

• Opodo Customer Care's Response, May 26, 2015

Dear customer,

Thank you for your comments and for sharing your Opodo experience with us and other users.

As we could verify, your case has been already treated by one of our agents. Please do not hesitate to contact her for any further information.

We would like to take this opportunity to kindly remind you that our opening hours are:
    Monday - Friday: 9am to 6pm

Saturday: 8:30am to 5pm

Sunday: 9:00am to 6pm

Bank holidays: 9am to 2pm

For any future urgent query, we would kindly suggest you to contact us with 4h or more prior to the flight departure. If your flight departs at early morning, please make you sure to contact us a day before until 6 p.m.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences.

Kind regards,

Nicole
    eDreams- Customer Care team

• Opodo Customer Care's Response, Jun 03, 2015

Dear scottishtraveller,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

We kindly remind you that Opodo offers a search and a comparison service of travel products available on the market, as an intermediate service for the purchase.

Unfortunately, we are not able to assist out of our working hours thus, is very important you read our FAQ section and get well informed of how our company works. It is very important a use of the appropriate channels and hours at time of contacting us.

Warm regards,

Liv
    Opodo - Customer Care team

• Opodo Customer Care's Response, Jun 09, 2015

Dear scottishtraveller,

We appreciate your comments however, if you are not satisfied with an outcome of your complaint or need any further information or assistance, we would kindly recommend you to get in touch with the agent in charge of your case.

We would take this opportunity to remind that our opening hours are published on our official web site and could be found in our terms &conditions read and accepted during the booking flow besides, in your particular case, we have seen that you managed to speak with our help line staff a day before the flight departure however, had not requested a cancellation after being informed of a cancellation penalty of the airline.

Best regards,

Liv
    Opodo - Customer Care team

Sc
May 25, 2015

Comments

• Sc
      27th of May, 2015

How could you be contacted, you shut at 6pm and didnt open until 9am! I tried contacting you using your website but was told to call. If I had booked direct with Lufthansa the flights could have been changed at any time before departure, but when booking direct with you, this wasnt possible because A) Details dont show on Lufthansa to change and B) You shut early and open late, making it pretty much impossible to change flights. The £20 offered was nothing short of an insult, I along with many others will never book through Opodo again, if I had checked reviews first I would not have booked with you anyway, and if I had known that you dont like to keep your call centres open at decent times I would never have booked through you in the first place. You have lost another customer that has only used your service twice, that was the very last time. Awful service.

3rd of Jun, 2015

Thats all fine and well simply saying that you are an "intermediate" and a "price comparison" website, however you dont simply earn referrals, you deal with the bookings, you are the travel agent here. When someone books with you, they dont see their booking on the airlines website, this means that they cannot modify their bookings UNLESS they contact you, the travel agent, therefore to simply say that you are a price comparison website/intermediate and nothing more, would be incorrect. Because you actually take bookings, the airlines will (Like they did with me) refer the customer back to Opodo to make any changes or modifications because OPODO TOOK THE BOOKING. Because only Opodo can make changes to a customers booking, it is extraordinary that customers can only contact you during your short opening hours to make modifications to their bookings, in effect the customer is at a severe disadvantage if they book through you and need to make a modification outside your call centre opening hours. Because of your ridiculous opening hours, I am out of pocket by over £300. Your "kind reminder" that you are simply a search and comparison website, is an absurd claim, Opodo is an online travel agency, nothing less and nothing more.

3rd of Jun, 2015

Oh I did forget to say, since you replied to correct me. For the benefit of other customers who have booked flights through Opodo and lost them because they were unable to modify them, it is in most cases possible to reclaim the airline tax that you paid for your unflown but paid for flights. If your flight is cancelled or you do not fly, you will likely be able to claim all the tax paid minus a ridiculous "Administration fee" by Opodo. Only after you fly, are your taxes paid to HMRC, therefore if you did not fly, you can claim these back. Because you are booking through Opodo, you paid them, you did not pay the airline, so it is the responsability of Opodo to pay you back this money. Opodo will charge you £25 to give you your money for the tax you paid back. Here is their address to do so: Opodo PO Box 6589 Leicester, LE1 3ZZ.

Here is the text from Opodo's website: You hereby authorise Opodo to carry out all the activities necessary to obtain such tax refund. You agree that you have 12 months from the date of your scheduled flight to write and ask us for a refund after which time you agree to forfeit any right to apply for tax refunds. Please note that refunds can only be processed to the form of payment used at the time of booking and that all refunds are subject to the relevant airline's policy and a Opodo refund service fee. You hereby authorise Opodo to deduct the applicable refund service fee [of GBP 25 / EUR 30] from the amount of the tax refund payable to you