Open Media / Charged for online book order, never received, unable to contact company either in USA or Australia!

1 no address can be foundSydney, New South Wales, Australia Review updated:
Phone: 02-9475-0047 fax only

I ordered a book online from World Retail Store, and was advised that my credit card transaction was not successful. I sent the web form, and did not receive a reply. Naively, I reordered a few weeks later using another card. I received the same response that the card did not work, again sent a web form query. When I received statements, both cards had been charged with the cost of the book. I have still not received any book, nor any answers to phone messages, web form messages, or faxes.

The cards were charged by Open Media Pty Ltd Rushcutters Bay, even though the order was placed on the World Retail Store web site.

Comments

• Je
      6th of Mar, 2008
    Open Media - Charged my credit card, no product delivered!
    Open Media
    219 Legion Rd.
    Hudson
    North Carolina

I ordered a Bible from Open Media and was told my card would not be charged until my order shipped. They charged my card, but did not ship me my order. No one will respond to my e-mails asking for an update.

Their fax number is bogus as well.

25th of Apr, 2008

I placed an order for a book with Open Media Pty in June 2007. No book was ever supplied and finally in February 2008 I received a complete refund (You need to write to Mr Simon Ian Martin Verdon, managing Director Open Media Pty Ltd, 65 York St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia) . In April 2008 they again charged my credit card out of the blue probably in the hope that I would not notice. Unfortunately for them while NSW police would not act on one incident however when it becomes an alleged systematic credit card rip off then the authorities become very interested. The Company's registered business number is ACN 002 733 379 and the Australian Securities & Investment Commission at GPO BOx 9827., Perth, WA 6001, Australia would be interested to learn of any further alleged fraudulent actions by this group. Netstore USA and Netstore Australia and the myriad of other copmanies are under the control of Mr Verdon. The York St address is the physical registered office of the Company. The group hides behind PO Box numbers and an e-mail forwarding company who technically may be liable if fraud is proven against the Netstore froup.

25th of Apr, 2008

Refer to the Arizona BBB site for an honest assessment of the Netstore group: http://www.arizonabbb.org/

Do not deal with this group, just take a look at the unresolved complaints and the nature of them. Do not give them your credit card number under any circumstances.

Supposedly this group are Internet bookshop pioneers ... in making money ? Make your purchases elsewhere !

Suffered at their hands, contact IC3, local police, your credit card company or do as we did here and take it to consumer TV. We currently have cases before Ombudsmen because of government inaction against this group.

11th of Jun, 2008

we are having the same problems as stated by other consumers. product is ordered and not received. our credit card is being charged. and then again this month another charge shows up, a charge that was not made for any product ordered.
    we have disputed these charges repeatedly!
    this is obviously a scam!

• Fr
      13th of Jun, 2008

Ordered in January and charged no goods arrived. Got a Visa statement today and another charge made to my account by Media PTY.
    This is very distressing and very costly to me.
    Hope some one out there is able to stop this company.

• Ge
      27th of Aug, 2008

Twice charged $A91.00 for single and only order for a book in April 2008. Nothing received as of 27 Aug 2008. Have contacted my credit card company who will investigate and try for refund. Have since found your web-site and find I am not alone. Initial inquiry and order appeared to be from USA via www.NetstoreUSA.com but company appears to be in Australia i.e. www.opengroup.com. Web site purchase was confirmed as order 370908 received at 03:33:56 US Eastern local time from open.com@pobox.com

Funds withdrawn by Open Media Pty Ltd, Rushcutters Bay.

George, England.

• Wc
      19th of Apr, 2014

Seems that Mr Verdon is at it again. He has a company Lavish Choice which sells makeup and perfume and while I ordered and paid via PayPal the goods haven't arrived.

• Gr
      1st of Aug, 2014

I have also been caught by www.lavishchoice.com.au. I paid for cosmetic goods by PayPal thinking this made the site legitimate (at least this con does not have my credit card details). When I emailed Lavish Choice about the non-delivery of cosmetics goods on several occasions, I got emails back apologising and saying delivery was coming, which very cleverly took me past the 45 day time frame for PayPal to respond to any complaints. PayPal have refused to do anything stating that Lavish Choice is a registered business at 11/23-27 Gordon St, Brighton-Le-Sands NSW 2216 (which is a basic residential unit block) and has a registered website in Australia and therefore ok to continue with PayPal. Not good enough PayPal! I have lodged complaints on line and over the phone with ACCC, ASIC and Office of Fair Trading. None of them can/will do anything. How is it that Simon Ian Martin Verdon is able to keep a scam website up and running when so many people have been ripped off and complained?????

• Gr
      1st of Aug, 2014

Dear editor of this site, I accidentally clicked on the "Report Spam" icon above where I was posting my previous comment for wclay. Please disregard this. Thank you

21st of Sep, 2014

After ongoing correspondence, Mr Chapman was refunded by us on 4th Aug as follows:
    Order refunded: Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID 3RR60281D6090804P) Sent to: Grant Chapman Email: grant_chapman@ifsolutions.com.au Amount sent: -$222.75 AUD Fee amount: $0.00 AUD Net amount: -$222.75 AUD Date: 4 Aug 2014 Time: 02:44:39 AEST Status: Completed Note: Order # 100003851 refunded Funding type: PayPal Balance Payment method: $222.75 AUD – PayPal Account
    Any assessment of negative reviews such as this need to be viewed in the context of the total number of orders processed. The level of complaints we have found come to less than one tenth of one percent of orders received. Every internet seller has problems with customers. Some take time to resolve, and some are indeed our fault. We do, however, try to fix every problem, even if as in this case by a Paypal refund (which Mr Chapman immediately accepted).
    Thank you.

21st of Sep, 2014

To complete the record, in the absence of such information from the complainant, we have refunded Mr Chapman as follows:
    When assessing an online seller it is important to compare the level of complaints against the number of orders. In our case the complaints we have located (most of which will have been resolved - note that Mr Chapman did not post this update) amount to less than one tenth of one percent of orders received. Every bsuiness tries to be perfect but inevitably mistakes are sometimes made. We hope we make an effort to correct ours.
    Thank you.

21st of Sep, 2014

Mr Clay has omitted to update this entry to show he has been refunded as follows. In jusdging such comments it is wise to understand that they represent an exceptionally small percentage of orders received, and the complainant almost never updates the comments to show a satisfactory resolution which is what we seek:
    PayPal Express Checkout Payment Received (Unique Transaction ID 6VJ30862DU979753M)This transaction has been refunded.For further details please see transaction 82S40544HE0563322Original Authorisation Date Type Status Details Gross Fee Net 28 Mar 2014Authorisation From Winsome Clayton Completed Details$285.65 AUD $0.00 AUD $285.65 AUD Related Transactions Date Type Status Details Gross Fee Net 28 Mar 2014PayPal Express Checkout Payment Received RefundedYou have refunded this payment in full.You have refunded this payment in full. ...$285.65 AUD

• Cr
      7th of Oct, 2014

Well looks like I didn't do my homework particularly well when ordering from Lavish Choice. I purchased two bottles of perfume for a friend who is dying from Terminal Cancer. A simple pleasure she wanted.
    Along with everyone else I trusted the correspondence that the items were still coming and the apologies seemed sincere...WRONG! How do people sleep at night knowing they are ripping people off and not to mention the heartache they cause. So from my experience I would NOT purchase anything from Lavish Choice and would recommend others do the same. I have notified Paypal of their dishonest ways and they will be attending to their account to stop future payments going to the thieves.

8th of Oct, 2014

We are very sorry that we were unable to supply this order. We receive many thousands of orders every year and sometimes cannot supply. This poster - Cranky Pants - has been kept informed of the status and at all stages we have offered to cancel and refund. Cranky Pants demanded that refund 3 days ago and we immediately confirmed we would process. Here are details of the refund, finalised today (personal details removed):
    Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID 3PJ91822H93310920)Sent to:A B Email:*****@bigpond.comAmount sent:-$73.90 AUDFee amount:$0.00 AUDNet amount:-$73.90 AUDDate:8 Oct 2014Time:19:02:10 AEDTStatus:CompletedNote:Order # 100006011 refundedFunding type:PayPal BalancePayment method:$73.90 AUD – PayPal Account