Open Media Pty (Australia) / Alleged Credit Card Fraud

1 New Zealand Review updated:

Tried to purchase a book on Forensics from these people in July 2007. Credit card charged and no product ever sent. No reply to frequent communications.

Others who have suffered are urged to contact e-crimes unit of Australian Police or the IC3 group in the USA

In Australia you can contact Dept of Fair Trading as they claim on website amongst other things that the customer won't be charged until the order is shipped and they can be prosecuted under Asutralian law if this claim is shown to be misleading.

Go for it - if people don't complain we can't get them shut them down !

Comments

• Lu
      21st of Jun, 2007
    Open Media Pty - Book not received!
    United Kingdom

Ordered a book off Open Media Pty - Netstore USA. No confirmation ever received but money taken off my credit card. Impossible to get any kind of response out of this company. Tried emails and faxes. Nothing at all. Will now see if credit card will get my money back. Agree with other poster this is unacceptable.

• Br
      26th of Jul, 2007

I ordered a book from Open Media Pty. Ltd. for the University Library. Money had been taken off the credit card, book had not been received, tried emails and faxes to follow up many time, never received any response.

15th of Feb, 2008

My case is still unresolved as at February 2008 despite the intervention of a number of Consumer and Business organisations.

You can contact or call on Open Media Pty Ltd at its registered office:-

Mr Simon Ian Martin Verdon,
    Open Media Pty Ltd.,
    65 York Street,
    Sydney
    NSW 2000
    AUSTRALIA

20th of Feb, 2008

My complaint dated 2nd July 2007 was resolved 20th February 2008 when Open Media made a full and complete refund to my credit card..

No explanation was given by the company as to what had happened, and why.

• Be
      10th of Apr, 2008

I have ordered the book Description Foundation Vibration Analysis Using Simple Phiysical Models at 07February 2008 and my Card was charged at 11February but no book has arrived. Could you help me?
    Thanks in advance.

• Aj
      13th of Apr, 2008

I ordered a book, my credit card was charged and the book was never sent. What is the telephone number of the Australian police fraud department?

Thank you for any information you can provide me.

• Lm
      13th of May, 2008

You might want to try http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/tag/reportascam
    and report it as a scam. I've just done it and I'm awaiting a reply.

• Da
      28th of May, 2008

Same problem.

I bought a book on www.worldretailstore.com on April the 7th. O April the 8th Open Media PTY LTD charged to my Visa, and I still waiting for my book.

Andrew, what was your complaint process to have a refund?

thanks!

• Ka
      16th of Jun, 2008

I bought a shampoo and conditioner from www.netstore.com.au.
    each costing about $37 for each bottle. When it arrived, the cap of one of the bottles had smashed (in the very unprotective postal bag it came in) and about a third of the bottle leaked all over the postal bag. I have contacted the website about 5 times in the last 5 weeks. I made my order over 2 months ago (I had to wait a month for postage!) and have not been able to use it at all.

Its very convenient that the website does not leave any phone number.

I will now also be reporting this to the department of fair trading, and if I can be bothered, dropping in at their registered office to have a go (seeing as they do not respond to emails).

Karen.

• Ti
      17th of Jun, 2008

Ordered a book that I never received, however they took 20 Euroe off my account.

• Ca
      6th of Jul, 2008

I live in New Zealand. In May 2007 I ordered a book from World Retail Store in Australia and my credit card was billed in Australian dollars by Open Media Pty Ltd Rushcutters B AU.

The book never arrived and I attempted to contact them by email and by snail mail, but never received a reply.

Now, 13 months later, I have been billed again for the exact same amount! I checked on the "order status" of my original order and it is no longer listed.

I have contacted my credit card company and plan to notify any and all authorities who may be interested.

20th of Jul, 2008

Similar story for me: ordered a book in October 2007 from World Retail Store, my Credit Card was charged but there was no delivery.

No response after numerous attempts to contact this company by email and no answer when i tried to call the provided phone numbers.

I eventually let it go, but just looked at my bank statement and 'Open Media Pty Ltd' charged me AGAIN for something they never sent!

I've written to the relevant authorities. Surely someone's gotta put an end to this scam...

29th of Jul, 2008
    Open Media Pty, Ldt - Appearing on my credit card bill
    2830 White Oaks Drive
    London
    Ohio

I am seeing this company charge me 94.63 each month and it is fraud as i am not receiving anything from them and I have not ever received anything from them.

• De
      30th of Jul, 2008

Ditto,
    Ordered a book in April, 2007, was quickly charged, never received the book, so let it go. Just looked at my bank account this morning and discovered Open Media has made another charge. Will be pursuing this time...

• Ca
      30th of Jul, 2008

I live in Montreal and I have the same problem. I ordered a book on july 4th 2008 and I've never received a confirmation by e-mail nor book, but open media pty ltd charged my credit card.

What the site where we can notify this company?

• Ke
      6th of Aug, 2008

I live in Florida and I have the same problem. I ordered a book from worldretailstore.com in March '08. I have received random charges to my credit card for service fees and then was recently charged the entire amount of the book, which was never received.

I am contacting my credit card provider.

11th of Nov, 2008

It now appears open media are also operating a cosmetic company monkey mitten their web site is www.monkeymitten.com.au
    MonkeyMitten is a trading name of Open Media Pty Limited (ACN 002733379)
    MonkeyMitten, GPO Box 3741, GPO Sydney, NSW 2001, Australia
    Tel:(02) 8003 3772
    I purchased a cosmetic and paid via paypal but never received the goods or a refund.
    I have refered this to the ACCC for investigation

16th of Nov, 2008

I've also just been ripped off by Monkey Mitten - a trading name of Open Media Pty Ltd in Sydney NSW. They don't answer emails and have the dodgiest automated answering machine ever - 'please leave a message'. I paid via paypal but never received goods or refund. PayPal ruled in my favour but the funds had been withdrawn by Monkey Mitten so PayPal could not return them to me. I've complained to PayPal, Office of Fair Trading in NSW and pobox.com who they have their email account with. Will now also investigate filing a complaint with ACCC. Let's work together to stop these impostors getting away with this ridiculous scam! Someone should try to catch them at their PO Box in Sydney for some answers - very lucky for them I live in Melbourne!!!

• Re
      16th of Jan, 2009

I ordered bt email a virus protection for my computer and never recieved anything, however my credit card was charged 49.95. What can I do to have the charges reversed?