opel / manufacturing flaw - the car

1 South Africa Review updated:

In November 2005 I purchased an Opel Corsa Comfort 1.4. with maintenance plan.
It now has 47 000 km on the clock.
Just before the 30 000 km service, the engine head had to be replaced, due to a manufacturing fault.
After the 30 000 km service, I noticed a noise. I took it in to the dealer and was informed that the alternator had to be replaced.
At the 45 000 km service, the noise was still there. I once again mentioned this to the service manager. After another investigation, I was informed that the bolts on the chassis had come lose. They were tightened.
At 47 000 km, The noise returned. I immediately took the car in to the dealer and, after an inspection, I was told that the steering rack has to be replaced.
The maintenance plan will not cover the full cost. The reason I have been given for this is that the 45 000 km service was due in November, and I only took the car in, in January. I argued that I brought it in before the odometer hit 45 000 km, and was told that that doesn't matter.
I still do not understand how they can argue that they wont pay for the steering rack based on a late service (which I still dispute).
My main complaint is that:
A brand new car driven off the floor should not have so many big problems before it has 50 000 km's on the clock, unless the car was (a)poorly manufactured or (b)poorly designed.

My wife drives the car to work and back ( about 15 km) a day, on a normal road, and is in a constant state of panic because anything could go wrong with the car and kill her, and my 2 year old daughter. It is unsafe.
I have no idea what GM/Opel are going to do to rectify this situation, but I plan to take this further if a resolution is not brokered.
It is ridiculous to be in a constant state of panic as to whats going to break next when I get into my new car!

Gd

More opel Complaints & Reviews

Comments

19th of Jan, 2011

my opel astra classic 1600, 16v had a small leak on the heater hose feed, which within a day broke, draining all the water within seconds from the hot water leaking out, now im trying to find a new part which i cant find anywhere in the country, so i had to order one from over seas, now im stuck, struggling to get to work, almost got fired, but still i have to wait another 3-4 weeks.this upsets me because i baught the car only to find out replacing the part on the car ive been driving for 5 years now, takes forever, and im stuck, i may loose my job over struggling to get to work, if i knew this i would happen i would have bought a car which parts are more available, and easier to find.

• Jm
      2nd of Feb, 2012

In February 2006 I purchased a brand new Opel Signum 3.2(2004) from Opel dealer (M/s Mannai Motors) in Bahrain.
    It now has 57000 km on the clock.
    Just before the 35 000 km service, the master break cylinder had to be replaced,
    After the 45 000 km service, Ac Evaporator had to be replaced. It now has 57000 km the service manager says again Ac Evaporator must be replaced! How come the Ac Evaporator has got the life of just 15 months???

It now has 57000 km, the car has got starting trouble. The service manager said Fuel Tank Vent Value and Fuel Canister to be replaced. Strange being the dealer for this vehicle, these parts are not available in Bahrain! So He had to order one from Germany for which I had to pay in advance!! Which cost almost fortune-Bd-205/=(Usd 539/=) I had to wait for 15 days to get the part. Now for last 1 month my car is in dealers garage (M/s Mannai Motors), they could not fix the problem yet. The service manager says they are in touch with Opel office in Germany. Now I need to know what remedy available is for me;
    MY complaint with Opel is:
    How come Opel spare parts are so expensive in Bahrain.
    Why Opel is not having proper garage with trained mechanics in Bahrain??
    A brand new car driven off the floor should not have so many big problems before it has 57 000 km's on the clock, unless the car was (a) poorly manufactured or (b) poorly designed.
    Either way, I feel that I have been cheated. I was promised a decent car and was given a machine with endless faults. I drive the car to work and back (about 15 km) a day, on a normal road, and is in a constant state of panic because anything could go wrong with the car and kill us. It is unsafe. I have no idea what Opel are going to do to rectify this situation; it is ridiculous to be in a constant state of panic as to what’s going to break next when I get into my new car!

-JM Shetty-Bahrain,