Ontel Products Corporation/Iron Gym / Giving my credit card number to other companies

1 21 Law DriveFairfield, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1 (800) 428-1600

Purchased an Iron Gym and sent off for the free ab straps (just pay shipping and handling) They gave my information to another company who is now harassing me, which wouldn't be that bad except that this other company has my ENTIRE credit card number. While I do not approve of it I understand selling contact information, selling my credit card number on the other hand is unethical if not ILLEGAL.
Please help, this company HAS to be breaking some law.
-Pat

More Ontel Products Corporation/Iron Gym Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• St
      31st of Jan, 2009

Have you received your ab staps yet? I sent off for mine in December and I haven't received it nor has the money been deducted from my account yet...

3rd of Feb, 2009

i have the same exact problem...i bought my iron gym at a target store and then sent the $7.99 to Pro fit on the 4th of january, 2009... today is only the 2nd of february but the company still has not even deposited the check i sent them...how the h*ll do you even contact this company???? I love the iron gym but i want my AB Straps!!!

• Da
      16th of Feb, 2009

I sent off for my ab straps in the middle of January, 12 January 2009 to be exact, and have not received them as of today (16 February 2009). After googling Pro Fit I found this Complaint website with a 1-800 number for Pro Fit and called the number (1-800-428-1600). Huh, amazing, after about less than 3 minutes I finally got someone named Ernest (no last name as he indicated he wasn't allowed to give it out but I had to give mine out. Amazing how that works. I really have problems with organizations that do that. It's almost like they have something to hide. They say it's for the protection of the employees but come on, if I give my last name out...). I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't get anyone after reading the above comments. When I provided the required info to him i.e. my zip code, last name, and first name he puts me on hold and upon returning he asked if I'm calling from the city I was in. I was really prepared if he wa going to ask for my account numbers and passwords. That would have really changed the course of our conversation. He indicated finding my order and that my ab straps were sent out on the 12th of February 2009. WOW!!! Huh, I said to myself. I asked Ernest why it takes so long for the order to be processed. He indictes they have to wait 15 days to see if my check will clear. Another WOW!!! and an Amazing. Nothing in the brochure about this bit of information. Now get this, he indicates I have 15 more days to possible wait after the 12th of February 2009 for delivery. Now that is a triple WOW and a Huh, I said to myself again. No mention of this item in the brochure either. I did mention the website that I was on and indicated to him that there are a few more dissatisfied customers wanting their ab straps. He sort of took it with a non-chalant attitude. Well...I guess we'll see what happens in 15 days from the 12th of February 2009. Good Luck All!!!

• Br
      10th of Mar, 2009

I Sent Off in the Mail for the AB Straps for the Iron Gym I Purchased at the Store and It's been a month and I Haven't received any Straps or any news when it's coming.. I only Hope this Was not a rip off to get my Credit Card Numer?

• M
      6th of May, 2009

I bought the Iron Gym Extreme and the Ab Straps from Sports Authority. After assembly, I realized my apartment has extra wide doorways. A form was provided within the Iron Gym Extreme box to order a 'Extended Long Bar' for use on doorways 34"-38" wide. I sent in a Money Order for $16.98 (incl. shipping), as I suspected the worst may occur if a credit card number was provided. The 'Extended Long Bar' arrived today. Guess what? It is for the Original Iron Gym, not the Iron Gym Extreme! I'll give the Pro Fit phone number (provided above) a call to see if an 'Extended Long Bar' for the Iron Gym Extreme is even offered.

• Re
      25th of Aug, 2009

Its a gimmic! I agree with all of the above. I found the same issue as well with the short bar, and not working within the doorway as advertised. I felt that it was false advertising, with hidden gimmics. Find out the product will not work After purchase. Not like it broke to poor engineering. Never worked to begin with. Hell this thing, fully assembled is about as useful as a stack of books!! I contacted pro fit - iron gym - ontel...whatever name that were going by on the given day. Got some guy with...you guessed it...a language barrier. And after me explaining the issue along with my feelings, and its un-usefulness due to most US building codes. He stated that the product worked fine in California ( oppose to NC ), and that the bar was NOT going to be included nor sent, and I could return the product to the store. Not to mention that this cat tried to explian that he could see thru MY Own Eyes, and read the non exsistant 34"-38" doorway bar and its information was not included on the side of the box.

• Kl
      2nd of Feb, 2010

I too found the Iron Gym Extreme a disappointment. After assembling it I found that my 36 inch wide door was too wide. I then noticed the extremely small text on the box that says "for use with doors up to 32 inches". I used the order form, that was hidden inside the box, to order the "Extended Bar" that will accomodate doorways up to 38 inches. After waiting 6 weeks it finally arrived but it was the standard bar length. I called customer service but all they could do is offer for me to return it and they will "evaluate" the bar. I asked for an advance replacement and was denied. Now I will have to wait 6 weeks + to see if they send me the correct bar or nothing at all.

• Po
      23rd of Feb, 2010

I found a comment thread in Amazon on a similar chin-up bar that says you can use 1/2'' steel pipes from any hardware store to extend it yourself - and every comment back is positive. But it's not for iron gym extreme. I'd really like to rig this up but I'm not very handy, does anyone have feedback on this?

Thread is here

Too bad this thread comes up #1 in Google for extended long bar so here I will post. Ontel Proucts the corporate parent (http://www.ontel.com) is dropping the ball big time here! This is a great product, I would gladly pay the $10 for extension, but I don't feel like sending in a sketchy mail order print out with my CC on it! Ill try calling them tomorrow

• Po
      6th of May, 2010

OK - I got my extended long bar for Iron Gym extreme. I ordered it by calling Ontel directly instead of using the mail form...it was only 14 bucks total, including shipping. It did take a month to get here - BUT - it works GREAT. Sorry it didn't work out for everyone else, but I have my extended bar and it's solid so far.

• Sj
      7th of Sep, 2011

On Aug. 1, 2011 I mailed to Pro Fit - Iron Gym a check with the order form to get one each of the Ab Straps set, Workout Wall Chart, and Home Training DVD, calculating carefully the total including the correct sales tax amount according to the order form's instructions, then calculating it again to be sure I paid the right amount. Naturally, these things were to go with the Iron Gym my husband and I had bought. But more than a month later, on Sept. 6, 2011, I received not the products ordered but, from Ontel Products Iron Gym, my returned order form and check with their letter stating, "We received your check ... in the amount of $32.42. Unfortunately we are unable to process any orders over the amount due. Please remit your payment in the exact amount of $32.27." No explanation was given about why my check was for the "incorrect" amount. I phoned Ontel right away but they were closed. So I called again today and, after being on hold a very long time, spoke with a "Customer Service" person who claimed to be the supervisor, and I questioned her about how my order had been handled. She gave various explanations which sounded bogus and definitely made no sense, and at last we supposed that because California's sales tax had dropped, my check ended up being for a few pennies too much. Because the order form doesn't have a phone number, and because my phone conversation with Ontel gave me the impression that I was not dealing with intelligent life, I declined her offer to get my credit card information and process my order over the phone. Am I glad I did, because my husband then did an Internet search about Ontel Products and ran across this page with other customers' complaints detailed above, so here is mine.

• De
      8th of Jan, 2015

I sent my check to Pro-fit IRON GYM and went through all the BS like those before me. I contacted them through phone and in writing...not once, not twice, but THREE times! In the end, was sent the wrong bar too, so- I revised the equipment myself*. Because I have now become completely distraught and have no more time or money to waste on this run around---I have resorted to desperate measures. I removed the door bars, re-drilled holes in the two pieces measured to fit my wider door (I bought a piece of solid steel pipe small enough to fit inside the two pieces and duct taped it.) I am 185# ~ it works for now.

*there is no warning or small print that says I should not or could not revise the bar, actually they themselves offer a longer bar to revise it.