Ontario Hydro / High energy costs

1 Blind River, ON, CA Review updated:

Good afternoon,
I am writing in order to complain about the extremely high energy costs in my area. For three years my husband and I have been trying to resolve this issue with our local MPP. They have made calls to Ontario Hydro on our behalf and the problem subsides for a short period of time, but it does return. We currently are exploring different avenues to adress this problem like the possiblity of a class action suit for our community. Our winter heating costs varies from 500 to 1000$ a month, summer is just as random from 80$ to 300$. We live in a small detached home, one floor, hang our laundry to dry and cook mostly on the BBQ even in spring and autumn. All our appliances are three years old and we do not have a air conditioning system. We do not have any children and my husband works out of town during the week. We live in a First Nation right on the transcanada highway and five minutes into town. We do not pay GST, PST, or the Debt retirement fund so we believe that our bills should be lower because of this. We are very energy conscious, because of the bills we do receive, we unplug everything, we turn of our breakers in the spring for heating, we have energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. We are wondering if you can help us, we are running out of options and money;

Comments

•   Aug 13, 2009

Hydro One (ie: the old Ontario Hydro) is definitely one of the most expensive electrical providers in Ontario. Your costs seem rather exhorbitant, even for them. Given your location, I wonder if it's the distribution cost that is really high, as opposed to your cost per kwh. Do you know what the per kilowat hour costs are for your area? They should show on your bill. For instance our pkwh fee is 5.6 cents (small town, with town owned power company).

I don't know if your community currently has the options for the smart meters yet - they will eventually be installed at all homes. Smart meters might help in at least establishing exactly how much energy you are consuming, but I suspect it might be the energy costs that are the highest parts of your bill.

If you aren't supposed to be paying the "pay down" fees for Ontario Hydro's over-spending, and you aren't paying taxes, you certainly would think you bills would be considerably lower than they are.