Ontario Energy Savings / Unauthorized (Hidden) Monthly Charge

1 London, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I purchased my first home in March 2008 and a few months later Ontario Energy Savings (OES) came to my door offering to lock in my Gas and Electricity Rates. Reasons for this were because the rates were soon going up. After contemplating and pressure from the company (coupled with my inexperience as a new home owner), I signed the contract to flat rate my Natural gas and electricity (not water). Over the past few months I have seen a drastic increase in my bills (which I thought was having an extra member of the household move in). After closer look at my Electricity charges, Ontario Energy Savings charges a "OES Energy Charge" that has varied monthly from $50.63 to $55.69. Added onto the monthly charge of around $50.00 for "actual" electricity charges, I AM PAYING OVER DOUBLE what I should be paying for electricity.
The people from OES who came to my door and who I talked to on the phone NEVER mentioned of this add on.

I am currently getting more information on the subject and on OES. Searching OES online results in similar complaints.

My advice is, DO NOT let these companies sign you up unless you know exactly what you're getting into. Continue getting your utilities directly from the source (not from door to door companies). Avoid OES.

Cm

Comments

• Fr
      25th of May, 2009
    Ontario Energy Savings - hydro protection plan bill
    General Dilivery
    Lac seul
    Ontario
    Canada
    ndn_lookstwice1@hotmail.com

What to do about this hydro bill which is 2300 dollars, and they don't provide no hydro to me, i'm a costumer of hydro one network. Now what the ontario energy savings protection plan put my name on the bonds collection inc. What should i do to avoid this.? Should i ignore the bonds collection inc. and get my name cleared once and for all. Because i can't afford it, maybe i was manipulated by this sales person.

• Ko
      29th of Jul, 2009

We also signed up with OES to save on Hydro rates. Our hydro has gone from about $500.00 (we live in a rural area, so it's higher) per month to $1100.00 per month! We have four children and I'm a stay-at-home mom, so we have only one income. This hydro rate is more than our monthly mortgage!! Now, Hydro One has installed a Smart Meter and it's even worse. We sit in the dark once the sun goes down and the kids have gone to bed. OES are a bunch of crooks and what I don't understand is why the Ontario Government is allowing this type of fraud - Oh, I forgot, they don't give a damn!

Does anyone know how to get out of the contract? We're going to lose everything, including our house if this continues. As is stands now, there are weeks when we can buy food for our children, and my husband and I are left to eat whatever they haven't cleaned off their plates because we can't afford food for ourselves. We don't go out. We don't even buy a coffee from Timmy's. And, before you say it, I can't work due to a terminal condition.

How do we fight these poor excuses for humanity?

• Cb
      12th of Jan, 2010

I agree we just bought a house in 2007 are hydro bill was $89.99 now I'm paying $200.00. I also get a charge of $104.55 on top of my bill from OES . If we try to rip people off we would go to jail but since its the government or company's they get money from then its o.k. for them they should all burn in hell for this crap its not right at all. I called and complained and they dropped it down to one year in steed of 5 years so call and complain and complain. Now I just got paper to renew my contract and now knowing what I know they can go to hell I cant wait to see some one come to my door now.

• Fr
      13th of Apr, 2010

I was luck to get rid of these scam artists.
    Took me a few months of emailing and many phone calls.
    They were trying not to honor an expired contract.
    Ontario energy board guy gave an email to the top guy at OES. Andre Brackett is his name 905 670 5111
    I sent a detailed email to him and after that it went faster.
    This Guy "Adrian" #801226" showed up earlier at my place and asked my wife just sign a piece of paper to show that he was here.
    Of course it turned out to be a contract that I had to cancel. This was another scam from them.
    Dalvir was a pain in the neck # 75160.
    Nitin too #75009
    One of these ### said we "effortlesly" renewed your contract.
    The one which is expired.
    Never deal with these waste of skins.

Frank

• Ri
      11th of May, 2010

Please contact me through my blog h1ripoff.blogspot.com. I'm initiating a class action suit against Hydro One.