OnPoint Law Center / Mortgage Modification Fraud

1 170 North MapleCorona, CA, United States Review updated:

They take your fees for mortgage modifications UPFRONT and then tell you that you don't qualify and do not refund you even though they initially tell you they have a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. They come up with some legal excuse to not give it back to you! ONLY USE LOAN MODIFICATION COMPANIES
THAT DO NOT CHARGE UPFRONT FEES! There are a lot of them that will evaluate your financial situation for FREE and then if they can help you they will take your fee. On Point wants your fee UP FRONT!! BEWARE!!! They also promise to perform a FORENSIC LOAN EVALUATION and then they don't do it.

More OnPoint Law Center Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Do
      13th of Jul, 2009

That sounds like rediculous advise. Loan Modification companies are the people who are scamming everyone and in the the news headlines everyday NOT law firms. Law firms charge a retainer upfront for all services regardless (ie. Divorce, BK, Personal Injury, Wills/Trust and Loan Modifications) If this Law Firm was doing horrible things to people as you state why are there NO COMPLAINTS whatsoever with CA State Bar, BBB etc. Law Firms are held to the highest standard on earth unlike ex-mortgage broker loan modification companies. If you really want to be informed on who NOT to work with go to this link http://www.dre.ca.gov/cons_drs.asp This is the DRE watchlist. I believe it will be better advise than from the clown who started this blog.

We have tried three other Loan Modification companies before OnPoint that did nothing for us. The first two were "Non-Profit" which was a waste of time since they spent all of 30 minutes trying to help. The 3rd company took $995 and did a conference call with our lender and got nowhere and stated "they did their best and at this time the lender says you dont qualify for a loan modification"

I hired OnPoint Consumer Law Center and they got our rate cut almost in half, lowered our payment by $431.32 per month and forced my lender to put the $26, 446.29 in back payments we were behind on the back of our loan . It did take almost 4 months but well worth the wait and money.

Very Satisfied Customer
    Douglas S.
    Yucaipa, Ca

31st of Jul, 2009

Well- you had better check the BBB again for LA- they have a complaint now. And that advice about not paying up front fees is right from the FBI and many other sources if you do a research on loan modifcations. That's great you had a good experience- I am happy you were so lucky. If they are so on the up and up- why did they not answer their BBB complaint but instead choose to ignore it? You are very suspicious to me and may actually be the whole circus itself.

• Wh
      27th of Aug, 2009

I agree with Northville, this company is a fraud. I had the same exact problem AND all of the folks who initially assisted me in getting all the paperwork done are no longer with the company OR they have changed their extension.

27th of Aug, 2009

Yep- PLEASE do what I did if you want to stop him. Report Mr. Enos and his firm to:
    Office of the Chief Trial Counsel
    The State Bar of California
    1149 South Hill St.
    Los Angeles, CA 90015-2299

He is currently being investigated as it is against Calif. law for any attorney to charge a fee for services he does not perform (per the State Bar Investigator). They must prove PROOF of their hours of service and it can't just be made up hours within the office itself. They would have to prove that they actually did work the hours with the mortgage company, etc... which we know they did not. THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BE STOPPED AND WHO BETTER THEN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA?!

THE CALIFORNIA STATE BAR CORRECT PHONE # TO FILE A COMPLAINT IS:

1-800-843-9053.
    They ask that you use this phone # and NOT THE ABOVE phone number
    as you will be assigned your OWN investigators and direct # once you file a complaint.

They ask that you call them at 1-800-843-9053 to file any complainst you have regarding ANY California Lawyers.

• Jm
      1st of Sep, 2009

I am also having issues trying to use On point Consumer Law Center. I tried emailing all the individuals who worked on my case and now they are all coming back returned as incorrect email address. I have called numerous times trying to get a hold of these same individuals and now their extensions don't are also invalid I left a message in the general mailbox and in someone elses mailbox to give me a call back. I appreciate the numbers listed and you can be sure I will be calling the CA State Bar and the Deputy Trial Counsel. I hope that it turns out okay like Doug S. Wish I had saw this posting earlier in the year. Although my mortgage company has all my information I am trying to work on my modification myself directly with them. I'm also filing a complaint with the BBB online requesting a refund.

1st of Sep, 2009

Great but please use the 800-843-9053 # as the original #s listed are NOT TO BE USED.
    Thanks!

• Jr
      29th of Sep, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me. I paid them almost $3000 up front and have been told by both of my lenders that I dont qualify for a modification. They refused to refund my money because they say they havent received a refusal from one of the lenders in writing.

• Sp
      8th of Oct, 2009

I have worked with law firms many times on different issues, and it's not always easy to speak to someone immediately when you call. That was one thing that made me suspicious of this company...THEY KEPT CALLING ME!!! Two or three times a day trying to pin me down on signing their contract and agreeing to the $2200 fee. My husband and I read and re-read their contract, and nowhere in their paperwork was their claim of "98% success rate" (which seems like something you'd put in writing and brag about if you had documentation to support it), although it did plainly say they cannot guarantee that they can do anything to help us. After doing some research and finding different sites with the same complaints over and over with this company and many others, we decided not to risk it. The next time the girl called me from On Point (on my cell phone at work), and I told her we had changed our minds, she got pretty annoyed and hung up.

Thank you to everyone who posted their experiences. It helped save us from what you went through, and I hope and pray you all get restitution. God Bless.

8th of Oct, 2009

I am glad someone has benefitted from our bad experience with them. We are still working with the CA bar association with our complaint against them trying to get a refund. :-)

• Id
      31st of Oct, 2009

I was working with a company that seems to be connected to On point Law Center which is called The Financial Solution Center. I paid them $3495 and they have failed to get my loan modified with my lender. Unfortuately I lost my home to foreclosure. It appears that they shut down the financial solution center and opened up this new company the first of the year. I started to get paperwork from this new company as well as emails. I requested a refund since they did nothing and I lost my home however they have not responded, I am going to report them to the attorney general's office and hopefully since they took my money and provided me nothing in return, I would hope this is a criminal charge in CA? who knows.

• De
      3rd of Nov, 2009

my wife and i are going through the same ordeal. we looked over the paperwork and their mission statement and it seemed like they were a pretty confident group. we are in the third week and are now with the 4th person. we keep getting the "we'll call you back within 48 hours" but we never get a response by phone. we gathered all the documents that were needed for the modification and mailed them to onpoint. after that we were advised to let them be the point of contact from now on. luckily we got a call from the lender stating that they couldn't reach them either. when we emailed them to explain what was going on with the lenders, we started getting passed around from person to person. it seemed like they just mailed the documents that we gathered along with a generic cover letter to our lender. the letter sounded like they were going to drop the hammer on the lender, which probably has them unwilling to help us at all now. we got a reply after 3 or 4 emails that said the lender already gave us a modification and lowered our rate. well the amount lowered was 187.85 and it was the pmi from 2007. i still don't know anything about the lowered rate because we have not had our rate lowered. for the first three years our lender overcharged us in excess of $4500 for escrow. it's been one hell of an ordeal. this "law center" acts more like a daycare. i looked their address up on google and zoomed in on them to see if it was more than a p.o. box. if i can find them in south carolina, why can't the police find them in cali? i have thought about making a trip to see them in person with an officer with me to see if they would refund our money. i think it would almost be worth it. thanks for all the info and advice. a day late and several dollars short...

• De
      3rd of Nov, 2009

oh yeah, the girl on the phone trying to get our business said that they will pre-qualify us to see if we would be someone they could help and that if they thought they could help us then and only then would we need to pay. of course we were the lucky ones that day because they could definitely help us. we got the whole spill about the 1% rate for 5 years and if they couldn't save us money we would get 100% of our money back. it even states it in the documents that a full refund would be given if we could not be helped. it has been 3 days since our last contact. when you call them you will get the less than 48 hours spill but faster results come from emails. it has been a bit longer. they do have clauses in their mission statement that gives them and out. but, they do have an out for us too. it states that they will do what is described in their services section which includes ease of contacting. what they have failed to do is basically that, be easily contacted and stay in touch. this is a written and signed document that should be admissible. with emails and time stamps of replies, i think we have something. either way i think that money is gone forever. i will be very surprised if we have any help in our modification or the refund. it really seems like they sent out a letter to the lender and asked for a modification and the lender said no. so they just agreed and told us that "they don't want to work with you". i guess they have done their job. i could have done this... can we have a modification? thanks anyway...

3rd of Nov, 2009

Again, everyone should be reporting them to The State Bar of California who is still investigating them. 1149 South Hill, Los Anglese, CA 90015-2299 (213) 765-1000
    It is amazing that more people are not doing internet searches on them before doing business with them. When we tried to work with them there was NO info on them online (I did search) but now there is surely enough to make people stop and think before getting involved with them. FILE COMPLAINTS with The State Bar of CA and the LA BBB. You can file BBB online now.

• Pa
      6th of Nov, 2009

Anyone who wants Onpoint new address its 4733 Torrance Boulevard, suite 722, Torrance, California 90503.

You may contact Mr Enos direct at 888-510-2027 extension 3600 or rwenos@onpointlawcenter.com

Amie Soto, Gina Araujo their extension # are now not valid

I paid this company $3000.00 for modification and I was told that it takes 4-6 weeks to get result but its been 5 months already, they even ignored phone calls and emails, they changed extension #s 2x already. I think my hard earned money is now in their pockets. Iwas behind in my mortgage payment for a few months then my lender called me. They are willing to help me because I told them that I want to keep my house. They say, they ( the lender) will decide if Im qualified for modification and its FREE of charge. After 30 minutes talking in the phone I was pre qualified under the Obamas program and my payment was set for 3 trial payments and much lower than my original mortgage payment.

6th of Nov, 2009

Thanks for the updated information on this company! Wonder why they moved? I have also heard the same thing from others- only your mortgage company can tell you if you qualify for a modification BUT they will only work with people who are behind in their mortgages, not those trying to stay current. Its really too bad that mortgage companies can't be a bit more proactive as they would have less failed mortgages on their hands to deal with. Most people do not want to leave their homes- they just need some help. The mortgage companies have made ridiculous amounts of money off people through the years and that is what really needs to change. By the time a person is finished paying off their mortgage they have paid 3 times or more over for the home- an absoulute rip off by the mortgage companies and banks. It is no wonder they can afford all of those executive bonuses and perks!! It is outragous!

• Pa
      6th of Nov, 2009

Yes thats true, mortgage company will give priorities to those who are on default. I used to pay my mortgage current and I called my lender to modify my loan but they told me that Im current in my mortgage payment and one rep told me like " do you know that there are peolpe who need more help than you" so I say " I need help too" and transfer my call from one to another until I was hung up. That was the time that I contacted Onpoint. Then didnt pay mortgage. Anyway we all have different situation.

No idea why Onpoint move

6th of Nov, 2009

I know exactly what you mean. Sounds like BANK OF AMERICA to me! My son went through the same thing- passed on from one person to another. Un fortunately for him, he received no assistance from them after calling for months and he is now having to sell his home at a loss to the lender. BOA is not very people friendly. :-)

13th of Nov, 2009

Well, my family has also been or is in the process of being ripped off by these people. Just today the web site shut down. We have sent them thousands of dollars and we now can't get ahold of anyone.

13th of Nov, 2009

I will not take this laying down, the attorneys' name is robin enos and he registered with the california bar. Start filing complaints with the bar, also this is an FBI issue. Wire fraud, possible money laundering and more could be possible motives for this. I now found out I don't even fit the criteria for loan modifications, (too high of an income) never was told this. Contact me if you would like to get resolve.