Online Buddies Manhunt.net / Excessive Downtime During 7/23 Upgrade

1 NY, United States Review updated:

Complaint Problem: Excessive downtime during 7/23/2009 without granting consumer's credit.

Site has been down and unavaialble at least from 10 a.m. to 10:15 p.m. on Thursday, 7/23/2009

Comments

• Se
      24th of Jul, 2009

Site remains unavailable as of 7:40 a.m. Pacific Time, July 24th.

• Le
      30th of Jul, 2009

This new manhunt.net is really bad news. Now the CEO, Adam Segel, sent out a mass mailing on manhunt that he has gotten an overwhelming approval rating from it's members. What BS. Almost every manhunt.net member I have spoken to, has found this new manhunt.net a step backwards. Now only did they take off functions that many members used constantly, but you can't even do simple things like edit saved searchs.

Obviously, Mr. Segal, has gotten so many complaints, that he had to send all members an email telling everybody that he has basically gotten overwhelming approval for this new manhunt. Of course you can't click a reply button and give your opinon.

This is nothing but a public relations ploy on the part of the CEO, Adma Segel, to make people who dislike this new manhunt.net, to feel as though they are in the minority.

This past spring Manhunt.net (online buddies) had to put out a 1/2 price membership, because so many members had stopped renewing (paying premium members). I can honestly predict when those 1/2 price memberships are up, Mr. Segal will be forced to put out another 1/2 price membership to prevent On line Budddies from having major financial hardships.

• Ji
      2nd of Aug, 2009

I agree with Lee of Manhattan. I have no idea why they decided to make 'changes' even after reading Mr. Segal's email and looking over the blog they started to describe the site updates. What a fiasco.

• To
      4th of Aug, 2009

I agree. This new Manhunt site is awful. Why can't people leave things be? The old sight was user friendly and more attractive. When they go under it will be no ones fault but their own. I know some people didn't pay, I one of them, but still others did and now with the new site, there are less pages of members. Seems they have already set the ball in motion. To bad, so sad.

• Hu
      4th of Aug, 2009

I have been a member from day one of Manhunt, I would like to say change is good and updating should be done but only when improvement have been made. I can really not say that I personall feel that this happened.
    1. I find the drop down menues to slow to drop.
    2. Do not like the smaller window for profiles.
    3. The mh on Demand/MH shop/Live cams are not needed on the bottom taking away from profile scrolling
    4. New members are now the whole state ?
    5. Cannot use far right pull down bar for scrolling down, must now use smaller one in box.
    6. I really liked everthing in the box to the left. there is still a ton of room lets move it all back there.
    7. With letter from CEO thought a nice few days added to my sucscription would have been a nice thing(with all the down time that has been occurring)
    8. Today can not access any profiles.(under construction ?)
    9. Tired of typing now, even though I could go on and on...

I LOVED THE OLD MH, REALLY MISS IT !!!

• Bl
      12th of Aug, 2009

The site sucks, and the attitude of the customer service sucks. I'm not renewing. And actually disputing the charge on my credit card, they renewed my membership over a month before it was slated to expire.

They have not replied to complaints, in over 3 weeks...

You cannot save pictures anymore, which sucks...

This company made $33, 000, 000.00, yes, thirty three MIllion dollars from membership dollars, you would think they would have focus groups before they launched the site. Bad business, bad people = a bad site...

• Ps
      27th of Aug, 2009

gomale.com will be launching soon and will address all the shortcomings!

• Ts
      14th of Dec, 2009

I have found the Manhunt site to be horrible since the upgrade, I found a great new site that is fun, and slick and so much less, crap all over it Manads.com it seems like it needs members but I think it will be fun and so far looks completely free.

• Jr
      30th of Jul, 2010

This site is going down big time. It is so slow to navigate and load pics. I'm moving to STIFFRichards.NET .. they are much faster and free...with more features!

• De
      22nd of Dec, 2010

This new manhunt sucks, i can´t believe that even as a limited member you can´t even have at least the priority of checking your messages when your messages are gone, even pictures can´t be watched in bigger size, it is a shame because it used to be a nice site, to me now I prefer Gayromeo which is for free and you can send all the messages you want, I hope people stop supporting manhunt now, there are other countries which can´t pay these websites because of goverment restrictions, so they should consider that too .. People should leave this site and go to Gayromeo which to me is the best .

• So
      12th of Jan, 2011

I am reporting a problem that i find completely unbelievable. i was in a relationship with a guy and during our relationship i used manhunt a few times. i did not actually meet anyone while in the relationship. after breaking up i did use the site to meet several people. my ex found out about my manhunt account, before we broke up. after we were broken up he at some point became aquainted with one of the owners of manhunt. he would not tell me the name of the guy, it could be adam segel, im not sure. anyhow, someone from manhunt got access to my complete records and made printed copies available to my ex. he read these and told me about every detail of my online interactions with other members on manhunt during a six month period. isnt this completely illegal? i am shocked that someone at manhunt would ivade my privacy at the request of my ex. what should i do? im totally upset and do not ever want to use manhunt again and i will tell everyone i know what happened to me.

• Co
      10th of Apr, 2011

HI guys. I'm from Alberton, Gauteng South Africa. My location use to be Bothasig, Cape Town, South Africa but since then I've changed it and for the past few months I keep on getting the screen asking Please set your location. Anyone that might be able to assist me.

• Cp
      17th of Apr, 2011

Have the same problem - cannot log in, keeps on asking "Please set your location".

• Al
      25th of May, 2011

BE CAREFUL on Manhunt. THEY will rip you off! They have a clever device built in to their service that auto-charges your credit card. INSTEAD of the service defaulting to NOT charging you, you have to go searching for the option to unclick AUTOCHARGE. OTHERWISE, you will be charged continuously! I even clicked DO NOT AUTOCHARGE and they STILL charged me! I was on vacation a month ago, so I paid for 7 day ONLY option. I unclicked the AUTOBILL option, but for the next 3 weeks, I was charged $7 each week for a MONTH. WHY would they offer this, when IF I wanted to pay for the month, or 3 months, I could pay FAR LESS for longer service times.
    So I went to my bank and filed a FORMAL complaint against the company for fraudulently charging my credit card. I'm also contacting the Attorney General's office since AUTO BILLING should be ILLEGAL! They have a clever option if you purchase the 1/2 price offer!!! YOU HAVE TO BUY the next 3 months at full price, autobilled!
    They should call it Customer SCREW OVER instead of Customer SERVICE!!!

• Mi
      30th of Dec, 2011

I am not a paying member nor have I ever been. Yes it is restricted but for rural areas in the rockies (wyoming etc) it actually has the best number of guys now that gay.com is almost gone. Yes there is a fair amount of spam but it has become predictable and easy to spot (a really hunky guy in an unknown town in montana where hello everyone knows everyone and he does not exist). So you take that profile proven spam and use it as a model and there you have your test if it's spam. But thank goodness the ghana and phillipine scam spam blasters have not hit this site like gayromeo . It's interesting how spam is trying to get more clever. Another way to test is to ask a specific question about their location such as "What's your favorite cafe in (Podunk town, Wyoming)? Or just work in some info only some one who is from there would know. If you get no response then you know it's fake!
    It is annoying when you run out of messages and remember those you send AND receive count towards your total. If you get lucky the other guy has a membership and he can initiate chat with you. Otherwise share your IM or email as soon as you are comfortable doing so to get better communication without the restrictions.
    Another thing - you should go through your inbox and save any important messages because they delete them eventually. Also if you don't pay you can't see what you have sent. The fact you can't blow up the pictures is annoying but not enough to make me stop using the site.

• Le
      16th of Oct, 2012

@Alancdane When you purchase a 1/2 price deal, Manhunt automatically puts ou on autopay, which you can't change right away. You must wait a minium of 24 hours and then go to billing and THEN CHANGE IT and uncheck the auto billing. The only time I have renuewed, especially after being bombarded by Straight guys in Nigeria, using phono gay photos and claiming to be in their 20's. They go after guys from 50 on up. Obviously, to straight guys who know nothing about gay life, life styles and what turns on various gay men, they think that if you are over 50 you must be very lonely and since you live in the USA (especially in NYC and other big cities they know of), that MUST HAVE MONEY! Most of them are straight homophobic SOBS and they justify ripping off gay older men by thinking being gay is immoral and sinful. Manhunt knows that there have been numerous written articles about Nigera (specially in specific areas/towns/cities) where straight theives join manhunt (and other popular gay sites). Manhunt could easily check their ISP addresss, especially for those who have had their accounts cancelled numerous times previously.

Manhunt only deletes/suspends profiles if a member complains about someone. Most guys delete or block (or both) such emails (which are from theives from Nigeria), and then Manhunt claims they can't do anything after the email has been deleted.

I recently heard that Manhunt.net has some privacy issues. I had previously heard that Manhunt.net cooperates with the police on a regular bais; to what extent, I have no idea. I have the feeling that is "code" that Manhunt.net allows the police to monitor their site for any illegal activies (i.e. those looking to party or find "party favors' or crystal theme parties.

Can anybody give me the top best gay cruising sites (for computer not an app), that is very popular in NYC. I am finding my manhunt buddy list shrinking drastically (after editing my buddy list, I found many of them that haven't been on the site in months, have deleted their profiles). Also, a lot of guys have moved out of NYC due to lack of work and or the high cost of housing (not only Manhattan, but Brooklyn, Queens and even da Bronx).

• Je
      16th of Apr, 2013

No law enforcement agency in any country 'needs' Manhunt's permission to monitor the site and/or individual users. Technology has long existed to do this covertly including 'ghost watching' any person's online activities without them knowing. Anyone using common sense and staying within the law, not chatting about weapons, drugs or terrorism has nothing to worry about and won't attract any attention. No one is going to bother anyone attempting to find and meet another ### to play with excepting if you are in some fundmentalist Islamic country. The current Manhunt site (April 2013) runs smoothly, no issues with auto rebill and is fast and efficient and I'm in Australia. Upgrade downtimes have always been advised in advance and have lasted exactly one hour each time.

• Da
      11th of Oct, 2013

Is it any wonder Manhunt make so much profit. I provided my debit card details only to discover they were taking money weekly ( was meant to be every 3 months ) 12 emails later with no reply. I had to have my bank change my card so Manhunt would stop taking my money. My advise, never give them you card details. I lost a lot of money with them.

• To
      12th of Feb, 2014

the site is very very slow since Feb 10, 2014 for me, unless it is a provider problem but other sites are loading fine
    anyone else having the same problem?

• Ea
      12th of Feb, 2014

manhunt login is super slow to load on my pc?????? and when i do manage to log in i cant open messages or view profiles