Onkyo / Bad quality & bad service

Bought Onkyo home theater receiver TX-SR505 Aug 2007; in november of this year, it stopped working (wouldn't turn on). Though it was a few months past its two year warranty, I contacted Onkyo, as it's ridiculous for an expensive piece of equipment like this to stop working after only 2 years. Onkyo took almost two weeks to get back to me and then told me there was nothing they could do. You should hesitate before buying Onkyo products.

Ke

Comments

25th of Feb, 2010

I would agree STAY AWAY from ONKYO. i have purchased a Onyo TXSR-876 last year $950.00USD and in 11 months stopped working. It's been 2 months and still not finish being repaired i will never buy another ONKYO RECEIVER AND OR ANY PRODUCT ONKYO MAKES. customer service says they will call me when finished. i have called many times to keep in touch and every time they give me another story backorder parts or still working on it. "BEWARE of ONKYO" also check out the BBB on them, then you'll see not to buy expensive products from them.

• Po
      8th of Mar, 2010

I bought a Onkyo TX-NR906 off buysafeusa, a seller on Ebay. They said it was covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Onkyo would not confirm or deny the warranty at the time, like they had something to hide. I just went to extend the warranty and Onkyo says it has no warranty since buysafeusa is not a authorized dealer. Buysafeusa is no longer a registered Ebay user so i am screwed if anything happens to my receiver. I get there feeling that Onkyo knowingly supplied this seller with these expensive receivers with full knowledge that they would deny any warranty after the sale. I'll bet this place sold lots of Onkyo's most expensive receivers and that Onkyo was complicit in the fraud regarding the warranty status. I want to contact the NY and CA attorney general's office to see if they will launch a investigation.

7th of Jul, 2011

I have had a similar experience. Stay away from Onkyo! I have a Tx-NR906 that has also been a pain from day one. The tuner section never functioned properly and completely died after 6 months. I sent it back for Warranty (to New York) and per them it was damaged in shipment and could not be repaired. The damage per USPS was not done in transit. After the threat of a lawsuit they agreed to repair the unit. Shipping by them to another center for repair resulted in even much more extensive damage. After another 6 months the amp was finally returned to me as "repaired". The AM tuner section never worked properly and was essentially useless. Now I am told that repair parts are no longer available! This is nuts! They are still selling this A/V Amp as a new item as of 7/5/2011 but repair parts are not available? No one will repair these things and parts are not available for customer repair. STAY AWAY FROM ONKYO! I wish I had as I now have a worthless $2000 paper weight that I have gotten less than 1 year total of partially usable service from. Onkyo Customer Service is nonexistent. Parts availability is nonexistent and Customer Support is nonexistent. There are only 2 or three centers in the entire continental USA that will even service Onkyo and it will cost you a minimum of $150 just to ship it back and forth for repair. Repair or Service Manuals are not available and apparently only one person in the entire country can get even a few parts for anything made by Onkyo. I can buy a Honda or Toyota car, go to the back of the Owner’s Manual and order an entire set of Shop Repair Manuals. These are exactly the same manuals the Dealer uses to service and repair their cars. That Onkyo won't support their customers in a similar fashion is an insult to their customer base. To those of you that think this is a great piece of equipment, just wait until you need to have it serviced. Then you will discover what a real pos Onkyo really is. My advice; dump every piece of Onkyo junk you have on Ebay, get what you can for it and don’t look back. I hope that someone can figure out a way to file a class action antitrust lawsuit against them similar to the one filed against car manufactures a few years ago that tried to screw owners on Warranty issues.

• Ra
      31st of Oct, 2014

Bad Product, Bad Service. My TX-NR616 warranty expired end of May 2014 and few weeks after I started to experiencing HDMI Video issues " No Signal" from main HDMI output. I called support and after a long troubleshooting session it was determined the unit has a HW issue. Onkyo sent me a list of service centers in my area. I took it and they suspected an issue with HDMI card getting damage due to a overheated processor (design flaw). My warranty is out a couple of months, so SC instructed me to call Onkyo warranty deparment to find out how to work out this scenario to whick they reluctantly declined to provide support and take accountability. I will never buy an Onkyo product in my life, based on this upsetting experience.

• De
      22nd of Jan, 2016

I purchased a TX-SR606 maybe a year into it the hdmi quit working talked to customer service warranty has expired so I connected to composite connection all was fine until I upgraded to comcast xr1 has no composite connection only hdmi there lies the problem. I was online at the onkyo site and supposedly they have extended the warranty until 2018 so filled out the form online only to find out the video hdmi is not covered? . So I call back and they will sell a refurbished receiver much cheaper I agreed and was told today they would email me the form today before 5pm well its after 8pm no form I mean come on onkyo say and do what you say you will. Quite pissed, disappointed in the quality customer service. I was a huge fan of onkyo brand have to say would never recommend or buy another onkyo product my recommendation would go bye something else, pioneer, yamaha much better choices.

• Da
      15th of Feb, 2016

I to own a expensive ONKYO paper weight that now sits in the bottom of our closet. I will never spend my hard earned money on anything ONKYO ever makes. 50 pounds of something and we are not happy, should have saved longer and brought DENON.

• Au
      20th of Jul, 2016

Purchased the TX- nr636, after reading glowing reviews on c-net. Failed from the onset. HDMI computer port, never linked to my home network and after a short period playing CD's, the receiver began to shut down on its own? Called Onkyo, (No) customer support and was told to replace old speaker wire; they didn't bother to address the HDMI issue. Did so making sure the back panel connections were secured and without delay the unit shut down. After a bit of googling discovered that factory defects are responsible for both issues. How did Onkyo reps, respond? They are forcing me to pay the shipping cost to send it to a repair shop? The receiver has a two year warranty, has less than eight hours of use, suffers from inherit factory flaw and they are making me pay for shipping!!! Be warned, never buy an Onkyo, anything.

10th of Nov, 2016

When my second Onkyo unit failed I looked into it and they had recalled 4 years worth of Onkyo units. They knew of the problems with units completely shutting off sound for years. I had bought 2 units myself and both failed. I was such a loyal Onkyo buyer I replaced one of the units with the new TX-NR646.

When my second one failed (3rd unit total), I reached out to Onkyo to see if they would simply replace my unit. The following email is what I got as a response. Apparently as a consumer I was supposed to check their website to find out they had a program for this . Look at the exchange between us. Worst customer service ever.

Contacts you might want to consider when you have problems

jack.cooper@us.onkyo.com
    hiroshi.izutani@us.onkyo.com
    Donald.Law@us.onkyo.com

Lee and Donald,

As a loyal Onkyo buyer I bought another unit after my first failed. Without having a second one do the very same thing I did not know to proactively research the fact that Onkyo had been producing units with the same problem for quite some time. This is Onkyo’s fault at its core.

The statement “Essentially, it basically seems that you proactively chose to replace your unit without contacting us or checking our website.” is insulting as most people like myself believe in the products they buy and the companies that produce such products.

I asked that since I did buy another unit, still Onkyo and in fact the same unit you are offering for a discount, for my second failure you guys simply send me a new unit. Very fair after purchasing 3 units!

I would ask you to reconsider and forward my email to the president of Onkyo US! Hiroshi Izutani

From: Donald Law [mailto:Donald.Law@us.onkyo.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:13 AM
    To:
    Subject: Onkyo receivers

Hello Bert,

The manager spoke to me about your situation and basically explained it similarly to the way that I did:

“If he hasn’t had his 609 repaired already he can trade it in for a TX-NR646 A Stock for $249.00. It is unfortunate that he didn’t take advantage of the SSP [Special Service Program] however he did have the option and we did list it on our website.”

Essentially, it basically seems that you proactively chose to replace your unit without contacting us or checking our website. Onkyo isn’t responsible for that and is not obligated to release a free unit.
    However, I am sending you the following information regarding our Loss of Audio/Network Customer Care Program.

We would like to assist you. Please follow this link and supply the requested information to verify that your unit qualifies: http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php .
    If your unit does qualify, a box and prepaid shipping label will be sent out. Please note that as part of the repair process, the firmware will be upgraded and all user settings will be reset to factory defaults. The average time for repair is 7-10 business days after the unit arrives at the service center.
    PLEASE NOTE THAT IF ANY UNRELATED ISSUES ARE FOUND, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED WITH AN ESTIMATE TO HAVE THOSE ISSUES REPAIRED AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE, OR AS PROVIDED BY OUR STANDARD WARRANTY POLICY. PLEASE REVIEW THE LINK PROVIDED ABOVE FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

Lee Winner
    Parts and Service
    201-785-2600 option 4 Phone
    201-934-7823 Fax

• Tx
      30th of Mar, 2017

Same issue here. Purchased a Onkyo TX-NR636 February 28th 2015. It failed March 29th, 2017. 29 days out of warranty. When you power it up, it just shuts back down. I followed their instructions by unplugging the unit overnight. I then disconnected EVERYTHING from the unit. I even moved it to a different power source before plugging it back in. Same thing. The click of death. Comes on, clicks, turns right back off. There are numerous videos on youtube on this and countless post, on many different models doing the exact same thing. We need either a recall on this or a class action suit.

• Pe
      12th of Nov, 2017

I had many problems with a TX-NR709 receiver over the course of the 5 year warranty. Had 4 occasions during warranty that both onkyo & store techs diagnosed HDMI not working. 2 months after warranty expired, the HDMI problem was once again diagnosed by Onkyo tech support in an attempt to get this stinking receiver to work!! The techs were patient, courteous, and professional. They suggested I speak with their senior technical specialist to either have onkyo repair or replace this unit under the terms of the expired warranty (being that this was a recurring pre-existing problem). WOW! the rep Brian Tecchio is the most arrogant, discourteous, demanding poor excuse of a service rep I have ever encountered!! After meeting all his myriad requests for documentation and going-in circles debate in his arrogant attempts to deny the problem, he finally agreed to replace my unit with a comparable quality unit. 2 months later I had to call on the status of the agreement. The next day he sends an email offering a refurbished TX-RZ710 receiver for $390 bucks!!! I can buy that model new for $250 bucks!!! WOW! Onkyo stuck me with a $1, 000 buck defective receiver, and then this arrogant, smug, smartass tries to pass off some replacement garbage receiver I could buy new for $140 bucks cheaper!!! Onkyo should send Jersey boy Brian Tecchio to Japan for repairs!!!

• Di
      17th of Jul, 2018

I bought an Onkyo A-9010. It lasted all of 5 hours before the transformer blew. Not being under warranty, because I am not in the US, but in Belize, I simply asked them if I could buy a replacement transformer. Answer: Contact a distributor in Belize. Great, excect there is no distributor in Belize!!!