OmniPoint / Fraud and scam

In late December 1999 I purchased a phone and Omnipoint cellular service through AAA Autoease. The ad specified a Motorola flip phone, and the AAA person indicated the service area to include the entire state of NJ, 5 boroughs in NY and parts of CT. The ad stated $9.95 to purchase phone. When the package arrived the phone was not a motorola flip, but an Ericcson (not a flip). I called AAA 3 times and got no satisfaction. Since I was ill(chronic fatigue) and had no energy to shop around or really protest, and I really needed to have a cell phone for traveling and emergencies (my child is 4), I did keep the phone, but sent a protest letter to AAA. The package also included a contract with Omnipoint. The contract does not specify the plan info. nor the coverage area.

All was ok until about 1 month later when I used the phone to call a friend on a Sat. (weekend were supposed to be free) and got charged for the call-something like $9.00! (I was at home and would have used my regular house phone if I knew this would happen...) Then, shortly after this, the phone stopped working, not more than 1-2 mos. after receiving it. Further, when I got my AAA bill on my credit card, the charge was $16.90, not $9.95. I tried to dispute the difference, was told it was a shipping charge, (but ONLY AFTER the bill ARRIVED, not when I authorized the charge). I very reluctantly paid, figuring at least I'd have a cell phone for a year, and then I could always do something different when the plan was up. So now I've paid $16.90 and have the wrong phone and it doesn't even work. Talk about a rip-off!! I tried numerous times to charge it up different ways and nothing would work. There was no warranty I could find for the phone, so in early May I called Omnipoint directly, (it took like 4 calls to find someone who could help) now at my wits end. They said that I can no longer take the phone to the local omnipoint store to replace but need to send it in. So I did. That was May 9th!!! To date (June 2nd) I have not received anything, and am still being charged for monthly service I can't use. And I am missing the phone I paid for! I have made at least 8 or more calls and been stuck on hold forever each time trying to get some service and a new phone. These people promise the world then do nothing. I now have sent them the original phone, its charger and battery, and the replacement handset, and STILL I DO NOT HAVE A PHONE!!! I have other things to do with my life than waste hours on end talking to idiot Consumer Reps who do nothing. I need y our help, desperately, please!! Once I received the handset only to an Ericcson flip phone, after being told I would receive the Motorola (finally). Now, I HAVE PAID FOR A PHONE WHICH OMNIPOINT HAS NOT SENT TO ME, AND AM STUCK WITH A ONE-YEAR CONTRACT I CANNOT USE.

I do not have hours each day to talk to these idiots who provide nothing more than lip service. Where the *** is my phone!!! If they can't provide my phone I would like my money back and the contract canceled so I can go and find another cell service carrier who maybe treats their customers a lot better. This is the worst customer service I ever had. I do have Federal Express receipts and tracking numbers for the 2 phones sent to Omnipoint.

Va

Comments

• Re
      29th of Dec, 2015

I keep getting several calls per day from (978)228-3809. When I say hello, there's no response, after saying hello 1 or 2 more times, something unintelligible is said then the line goes dead. This has been going on in a very sporadic fashion. I've tried calling the number back, but it doesn't ring thru. I'd really like them to stop, that's all, just stop calling if they're not going to talk.