Oliver's Jewelers / Warning others!

1 366 Eglinton Ave.Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I am suggesting to you that if you are looking to sell your jewelry, DO NOT deal with Oliver's Jewelers in Toronto. The man is a crook and a liar. He has got his shtick down to an art. He'll always low ball it. Okay, that's not surprising. Here's what is. I was comparison shopping . I first went to Jewelry Buyers in Toronto and they were going to give me $100.00 for my two rings. I felt I might be able to do better because Oliver's commercials say that he "guarantees" paying the highest price in the city.

Before I left the first place, the owner brought the price up to $130.00 and as I left said that if I came back he could go as high as $200.00. Having never sold my jewelry before, I thought I'd give Oliver's a try. To make a long story, short, I went to Oiver's and told him what I was offered. He offered less and said go back to the first place and if he doesn't give you the $200, I'll give you $180.00. I thought, "Why wouldn't he give me what he said her would?"

Back I went (the two places are close to each other) and the first place offered me far less saying he never told me $200.00. LIAR! As I left (I was beyond frustrated.) He told me I was "creedy" yet kept yelling out he'd give me $150.00 as I walked out the door. Now it was no longer about the money as much as the lack of principles these people have.

Here's the best part. I went back to our old friend Oliver's and he said he'd give me $110.00. I pointed out that he had just told me (20 minutes before) that if the first guy didn't give me $200.00, he'd give me $180.00. Yes I cried, not because I he wouldn't give me the money he promised, but because I couldn't believe he would do that to someone.

He told me that he was going to pay $180.00 when the other jeweler was going to pay $200.00. Again I say, WHAT? If the first guy paid me the $200.00 I wouldn't have come back like he told me to do. He claimed I was playing one against the other. I don't even know these guys, I just wanted to get what I could for my jewelry because I needed the cash. I wasn't playing them against each other, Oliver's was playing me. Mr. Oliver was so rude to me and didn't care what he had said, he saw desperation and took advantage of it. I know that running from one jeweler to another was silly, but I thought that's what you do.

My suggestion is to sell your jewelry on Craig's List or in the Buy and Sell or Cable Community Television if your city has it.
Don't support either Jewelry Buyers or Oliver's Jewelers. They are people that don't deserve our sentimental treasures for any amount of money.

Comments

• Lp
      6th of Apr, 2008

I've had a very similar experience with Mr. Russell and will strongly advise anyone, not to sell to him. He is very rude, inconsiderate and downright insultive. In my case he dropped the price from $200 to $120, all because I took about 20min to think about it. Yes I needed the cash, but really, when you are getting less than 10% of what you originally paid, well, you do really reconsider.

• Ra
      5th of May, 2008

Awwwwww, , i'm sorry. what else did u expect from that half-baked guy, he is nothing like his commercials.. im not a fan of his... well he is rude and inconsiderate,

ONE THING IS TRUE THOUGH: he does buy nearly everything (at the lowest price), he bought something of mine that nobody else would (even though he paid 10% of what i originally bought it - YES i know, but at least it paid for my ttc tickets. ), , i was able to get 20$ out of him for something i originally purchased (3 years ago) for 200$...

19th of May, 2008

Thanks for posting this, I was going to go to him with about 20 pieces of jewellery much of which is 18 k gold, bracelets and chains. I am not going to now, thanks for the heads up, and he will lose lots of customers.
    I can't imagine anyone taking advantage of people like that - who are trying to get a fair price for their possessions.
    He should move to Queen Street, and call it Oliver's Con Shop.
    Stay away from this con man.

• Ji
      6th of Jul, 2009

russel oliver is the man and own you all. He gave me big cash and makes great deal. loves chinease people ooooooooooooooo yeaaaaaaaaah

• Je
      18th of Apr, 2017

@Jin Ming Fong Lies

• Av
      16th of Jul, 2009
    Best Best Advice +6 Votes

Biggest rip-off joint in Toronto is Oliver Jewelers, 366 Eglinton Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario, owned by Russell Oliver, the guy who says, "Oh, yahhhh!" on TV. I took a 22 karat ring, made in England in 1918, that had five "mint" marks on it denoting manufacturer, quality, etc.; a very high-quality piece of jewelery. The young guy, who is trained to skin you alive if he can get away with it, said, "It says 22 karat, but it's testing as 14 karat." I said, "I know what 22 karat gold is so don't try that game." Right away, I knew he that this is not a legitimate jeweler that builds its reputation on word-of-mouth recommendation. I told him I had researched the ring on the internet and that it would retail for $350. I said I followed the instructions on a web site that tells you how to measure the width of the band, the thickness and the diameter of the ring. He said, "You must have done something wrong." So I further decided that they treat their customers like cattle. He offered me $75. I took the ring, put it back in the box and started to walk away. He said, "I'll give you $100." I said, "I know it's worth $350 retail and I expect half that, $175. He said, "I'll give you $120." I said, "I expect people to be honest with me and give me what something is worth." I said I would go elsewhere to sell the ring. On my way out the door he said, "I'll give you $150 when you come back." I tried to get him to write that offer down on paper and sign it but he refused.

I went to another jeweler at 90 Eglinton Avenue East and the woman there offered me $100. I told her Oliver Jewelers said they would give me $150 when I returned. She said that she knew their game and that they would not give me $150 if I returned. "The price is $100", she said and she waved five twenty-dollar bills at me, but I said I would return to Oliver Jewelers to see if they would honour their verbal commitment. It turned out in the end that she was worse than Oliver's Jewelers, if you can believe it! When I returned to Oliver Jewelers and said I'll take the $150 he said he could only give me $120. I reminded him that he had offered $150 and he said that he had only really offered $120. I told him that where I live we do deals on a handshake and that our word is our honour. Even this reptile responded slightly to this value of mine and we finally settled at $140. I had tried to insist on getting the $150 that he had said, but he kept on repeating, three times, "Do you want the ring or the $140. You can't have both."

Unfortunately this world is full of people whose purpose in life is to worship money and treat people as objects. There are entire cultures of people who wake up every day to put their hand in your pocket, in a manner of speaking, and rob you. They don't see it as stealing. They would sell their own mothers' skin for ten bucks if they could. They are politely referred to as Parasites. They have a worldwide reputation that is justly earned.

12th of Sep, 2009

I completly agree with what everyone is saying about him. I went in there today and could not be more taken aback by how rude he was!!

I walked in and the guy at the counter seemed nice enough. He told me to have a seat. Then Oliver in all his glory came out and said "Who's next? The skinny legged girl??" I got up, went to the counter and said "I'm curious to see what this is worth" I'm going through a divorce, i'm already on the verge of bawling my eyes out as I'm giving up my wedding ring, my pendant I was given and a chain we had to replace for my pendant. I didn't have any clear cut ideas on what I wanted for them, I just knew I don't want to keep them as the memories are a little too painful to visit right now.
    He said "I can give you 20 bucks!" i said "What for all three?" he said "Yeah... what do you want?? 50, 100, 500.00?? What are you crazy?!" and he turned to a few other customers who were shopping and twirled his finger beside his head and told them I was nuts. Then he turned back to me and said "I'm going back into my office now to do REAL work" and he walked off.
    The other guy said he'd give me 100.00 but after dealing with Oliver I wanted nothing to do with the place. I just left and bawled my eyes out on the sidewalk out front. When you're going through something like a divorce, it doesn't take much to send you over the edge. I'm handing in my WEDDING RING that should have signaled something. Like "this might not have a lot of monetary value but it probably has a lot of personal value so maybe I should be nice to her" Nope. I will NEVER go back. [edited]

• Sw
      2nd of Nov, 2009

I have to agree with everyone. I though was not planning on selling, I heard some people say some really bad crap about the place and when my friend said she was going to bring her stuff in (she had no previous appraisal on any of it) I told her to let me go in first and see if he really was a rip off. I went in the first time, seen Russell, I have a 2 carat VVS1 diamond engagement ring (with 12 .5 carat diamonds on the band) at first he told me $250 and I told him no I knew what the diamond was and it was worth far more, he went up to $460 "final offer" after cleaning it. While he was looking at it he commented that it was good quality and full of life, of course I left with it in hand, told my friend not to bother with him. While since the economic slump I heard he was getting even worse, so I went back with the same ring, he asked what I wanted for it and I told him "what can you give me?" so he looks AT THE SAME RING and tells me it is "very poor quality and is lifeless, one of the worst he's seen" lol So I tell him that in the summer he offered me $460 for it, so with other customers in the store he asks me "While if you were offered that before why do you stand there like an idiot when I ask you what you wanted for it?" he then goes on to tell me it was NOT him who offered me the $460 for it that it was "the other guy" lol funny because the first time I went in he was asking my son if he seen him on TV. He would not budge from the $100 and said he was tempted to offer me less for "being an idiot" needless to say I walked out...and went online to the BBB to lodge a complaint, I suggest the rest of you do the same and try to prevent someone who really needs the cash from getting ripped off!

In the 15mins I was there I was called a blonde bimbo (I'm a dyed blond lol), idiot, ###, and stupid.

• Cb
      23rd of Dec, 2009

A number of years ago I took my grandmother's wedding band in to Oliver Jewellers to be changed to match my engagement ring. It was an 18 carat ring. I didn't notice at the time, but the 18 carat stamp on the inside was no longer there. Not too long ago I again took the ring to another jewellers to be sized. They told me the ring was 10 carat. Obviously, Oliver Jewellers switched rings. As a result, I have lost a cherished heirloom.

• Co
      31st of Jan, 2010

I have to agree with most of the complaints however if you consider that there really is no market for used jewellery one has to consider the value of a vendor or retailer who is interested in buying anyone's jewellery. Unfortunately people mistake their feelings with business. I have a business and people are always trying to negotiate with me. When I can make a little more money then so be it. I do not feel sorry for someone who is offered a price as he or she walks out the door and expects to return a short while later and ask that same person to honor the offer. I take offence to this because the fact you just came back means that no one else would offer that price, why should the consumer be allowed to shop around and hold a vendor's offer as they see fit. Take the offer or face the consequence that it may not be there 5 minutes later. When you purchase a home if you make an offer and it is not accepted the vendor cannot obligate you to make the same offer, even 5 minutes later.

Maybe if people wouldn't put themselves in such bad shape financially then they wouldn't have to deal with the Russell Olivers of the world. [edited]

• Kk
      18th of May, 2010

The thing is he's not the man you see on television. He's rude and blunt, but this is done on purpose to throw you off guard. Then he low balls you and tells you that what you have to sell is crap and that no one will want it. His son does the same thing. Pawn shop owners always have to be tough, for the same reason that cops have to be.

People you have to understand that it's a business. If you don't want to get ripped off, don't go to a pawn shop.

• Ss
      5th of Jun, 2010

agreed, doesn't matter if you're going through a divorce or this was given to you by King Henry the 1st. If the item has little value in today's market you won't get much out of it. Silver is pretty much worthless to jewellers, but people don't realize it.

hes obviously a jerk from dealing with too many people who expect too much out of their useless jewellery

• Ro
      27th of Jun, 2010

Common guys, he's the Cashman, the Loan Arranger. But more importantly, he's a businessman. His objective is to increase his margins as much as possible. If you want more for your jewellery, don't go to a pawn shop, cause you know what's coming. You're much better off ebaying it, if you really want top dollar. And if it's just a gold piece like a chain or bangle, check on Kitco first, so at least you'll know what your gold's worth.

• Xo
      9th of Aug, 2010

i had the same experience with oliver's services, i wouldn't send my worst enemy there. i was pregnant and desperate and i was willing to sell my engagement ring to buy myself some food. an $1800.00 ring was only worth $60 and then they felt bad and gave me an extra $2.00 for the bus to go home, how generous...

• Wi
      17th of Jan, 2011

There is a huge retail mark up on jewellry. Most people get ripped off when they first purchase something in a store. If Oliver wants to be in the retail business, he could stock a store with item on consignment, and not have to invest a cent in inventory. These guys are buying stuff for the scrap value of the gold and stones. A $1000 ring may have cost the store $250. It probably cost the manufacturer $125, material and labor. This unfortunately is the real value of the peice. If you want to sell for anything close to retail, try selling privately.

19th of Jun, 2011

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE avoid Russell Oliver's jewellery store on Eglinton Avenue West at all costs.

I think most of us understand how pawn shops work - i.e., they buy marketable pieces of jewellery at the lowest possible price and melt down the gold, and then in turn sell that gold at the highest going market value. They also, re-sell the gems, diamonds, and other stones that are extracted from the jewellery that they purchase. So, we all get that. I don't think anyone is surprised at the low prices that Oliver's offers.

What is ABSOLUTELY APPAULING is how he TREATS customers. He is insanely RUDE. And, so are his staff.

I went in there today to try to sell some jewellery that I had not worn in over 5 years. After I was buzzed in a man came out to speak with me and he spoke in a raised voice. When asked if he would kindly lower his voice he began to thunder at me with an even louder voice! UNBELIEVABLE.

I started to pack up my jewellery and head to the door as I could not imagine conducting ANY kind of business with them and the staff at the back all started to laugh -- then Russell Oliver, himself, came out and made mocking face at me!!! This was just out of this world. I felt as though I was transported to another universe and that this was all a dream.

As I headed for the door, they began to yell "LET THE DOG OUT". I yelled back, ""the internet comments are true - you are horrible and obnoxious, I should not have come".

When they buzzed me out they put on a voice recording that blared out on Eglinton Avenue - "GO HOME AND STAY HOME".

Readers, yes please believe this -- it is true and it happened to me about 2 hours ago -- today's date is June 18, 2011.

NEVER EVER EVER go to Russell Olivers jewellery on Eglinton Avenue West.

• Lo
      11th of Jul, 2012

A lot of people here are defending him saying he's a businessman, and that's how pawn shops work. This is very true, but my problem with him is he's incredibly rude to his customers. What kind of businessman is rude to their customers? [edited]

• Ya
      3rd of Sep, 2012

Just so you know, Russell Oliver now has a blog. You all might want to check it out: http://www.o;overjewellery.ca/blog

• Ya
      3rd of Sep, 2012

Just so you know, Russell Oliver now has a blog. You all might want to check it out: http://www.oliverjewellery.ca/blog

22nd of Feb, 2013

He is a thief. Years ago when he had a store on Cumberland I stopped in to look at a watch, he noticed that my engagement ring needed cleaning and said he would clean it for me in and I could stop back in to get it in half an hour. The diamond was superb quality and 2 carats. Stupidly, I left and returned half an hour later to get the ring. It wasn't until a few months later when the stone came loose that I took it to the jeweler I bought it from. After looking at the ring he explained that the diamond was not the diamond he had sold me when the ring was purchased. The diamond had been switched with a cheap piece of stone. That's what Russel Oliver did. I should have had him arrested.

20th of Apr, 2013

STEER CLEAR OF THIS OBNOXIOUS COMPANY!!!
    This is the first review I have ever written I feel the need to advise of the worst customer service EVER! I have jewelry that I rarely wear so decided to explore my options and maybe sell. I decided on Russell Oliver really because of his advertising, big mistake. I was given all of a couple of minutes of his time even though I was the only customer in the store. He was extremely rushed and rude, offering absolutely appalling customer service. He made an offer which I refused. He then walked to the back an left me standing there I didn't know that this was the end of our conversation. At which point a young lad who was on the phone and had nothing to do with our conversation shouted at me "NO ONE HERE WANTS YOUR GARBAGE" I was so shocked. In fact they did want my beautiful jewelry with a low offer of $800 considering how much the jewelry is worth I declined. I'm so glad I did, I would prefer to leave it in my safety deposit box from now until dooms day rather than this company making money on it. It seems to me as if they are used to dealing with desperate people who jump on their first offer. My advice stay far from Russell Oliver he is a thief and a fraud!!!