Olan Mills / Customer service is non responsive

The company's advertisment logo "Olan Mills " in bright gold leaf was printed ON TOP of my face in some of the prints. I got to thinking...'why did I just pay nearly $200 for a set of photos of me and then have to put up with THEIR logo anywhere on something I had paid for?"

It would seem to me that if the studio wanted me not to forget them they could have put their name and address on the back ot the prints.

I called them and the short story version was they had to protect their copywrite and it was a LAW that the logo go on the front, not the back of the photo and if they didn't put it on they would be breaking some kind of law. (Sounds like Bull [censored] doesn't it?) I asked them to send me a copy of the law and also a copy of our contract that showed I had agreed to their icon on the front of the photos.

The representative had no answer for that so said she would ask "Mr. Olan, the owner" if he would allow my photos to be printed with no icon on the front and I would be called back.

I was indeed called back by someone a little bit up the food chain and he very haughtily refused to reprint the photos without their logo on the front because of the copywrite laws yada yada yada. I mentioned that I had just reviewed all of the professional studio photos I had of me over the last 50 years and none of them had any kind of a corporate logo on the front side of the picture. I said I wanted my money back and eventually I was sent a return label.

I have decided to keep these stupid photos and am happily pointing out their public relations stupidity where ever and whenever I can.

Ed

Comments

• Lo
      13th of May, 2010

Olan Mills does have a strict copyright policy BUT if you want pictures WITHOUT the logo you should purchase the CD it also comes with a FULL copyright Release so you may not only use it for archival purposes but you can also PRINT the portraits wherever you would like. also if it was on your face they should have asked if you wanted another pose. Olan Mills has been "stamping" their Images for years & they wont stop anytime soon i'm sure. :) I hope you would try them again It is the BEST place i have ever worked!!

• Wo
      4th of Jul, 2010

Yes, if you work for the company you might actually believe that, but there is no law forcing Olan Mills to put their copyright all over your pictures. You should not have to pay to buy a CD to get icon free photos because they never make you sign a disclosure telling you that your photos have to have those stupid stamps on them. $150 for a photo cd? Well overpriced, if you ask me. And Olan Mills is the crappiest place in the world to work. They changed prices on customers in a heartbeat and try to pressure customers into spending a ton of money on overpriced portraits.

• Ca
      2nd of Sep, 2010

I am a former employee of Olan Mills, and even though I think it's a horrible place to work, the quailty of the photographs are well worth the money. They do have to protect their work by placing their logo on the front of their photographs. This ensures that their copywrite is protected in some manner.

I agree that the CD is over prices, but if you think about it this way, you're paying for a copywrite release of every image you get on your CD which is normally around $15 per pose. Not a bad deal if you have 30 poses on that CD.

If you don't like the Olan Mills logo on your portraits, then go somewhere else. You will find that in the long run, your cheap WalMart photos will fade over time, but Olan Mills pride themselves in knowing that their work will never fade...even on the canvases.

• Om
      15th of Oct, 2011

If the logo is on your face you can have them reprint them with the logo on the other side of the photo. The logo is the sign of quality of a photo company that has been in business since 1932. Most people like the logo!