OHIP / Better surgeries not covered

1 ParlamentOttawa, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

My husband needs to have a cornea transplant. He is 34 years old and has not seen his kids or me well in over a year. He is off work, going through depression and every other thing you can think off being at home this young with no vision or freedom. We have been advised that because of his age he would be better off getting the laser surgery due to his age and how many working years he has left. The old way that OHIP pays for you walk around with 18 stitches in your eye and have a better chance of rejection and falling off and being a hazard for the rest of his life. As it is he will never be able to swim again or go out side without special glasses for Photosensitivity and particals floating in the air. We want to have the laser done but OHIP will not pay for it. We tried out work insurance and they said they would rather keep paying him for being off then fork out the $7000 it is for the surgery. They won't even pay a portion because OHIP has the old procedure that is paid for. WHY can we not get the better surgeries done in Canada without paying for them. They are prooven to be better healing time like 6 months compaired to the 2 yrs or liftime with the OHIP way. Is this how are future for our kids will be? You only get the good surgeries if you can afford it? We both work in the auto industry and I have been laid off and on work for 8 months now and he is off work at home because he can't see or drive and has been for a year now. How are we to keep our heads above water when our own goverment could care less about better surgeries and stuff for people. THIS IS OUR KIDS FUTURES they deserve a BREAK!!!

Comments

• Th
      9th of Dec, 2008

This will never change until we change the health care system and stop the socialists from holding us hostage and forcing us to accept mediocrity in the name of universality. We need, like Western Europe and many other first world countries, to allow a mixture of public and PRIVATE health care insurance. Do you know in Canada, the cost for health care for 2008 is expected to be well in excess of $5, 200.00 for each person in Canada? That is for every man, woman, boy, girl, baby, grandparent... everyone in the country. A per capita health care expenditure of more than $5, 200.00.

I just moved back from the United States where I had much better insurance coverage than I am getting here. I have just pinched a nerve in my back in Ontario and because I can't find a family physician, I can't get help with the extreme pain because the emergency room and clinic doctors all say, "I don't know your history so I can't prescribe any pain killers." I am a six figure income earner... I am not a junky. I am in extreme pain, and can't get any help. It is the most disgraceful thing I have ever seen. A health care system that not only lets people fall through the cracks, it contributes to a person being placed in pain so bad he can't sleep at night, and not allowing doctors to turn their back on him.

In the United States, my private insurance cost a little under US$5, 200.00 per year. Yes there is exchange rate. But when you consider that my insurance there also covered dental, physiotherapy, chiropractor, eye exams, $150 towards eyeglasses, things that OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) does not cover, they more than makes up for the exchange rate. What is more important, in the United States I found a GOOD family doctor in a couple of weeks. One with hospital privileges. Something that is impossible to find in Kitchener-Waterloo.

OHIP... it should mean Ontario Health Impotence Plan. Ontario, forcing third world medicine on everyone, with no way to opt out.

• Th
      9th of Dec, 2008

Pardon me... let me make a slight correction:

s/not allowing/allowing/

A health care system that not only lets people fall through the cracks, it contributes to a person being placed in pain so bad he can't sleep at night, and allowing doctors to turn their back on him.

• Fr
      9th of Jun, 2009

I lived in the US and still have children there. A reasonable health insurance plan in New England will cost $900 per month...however they can and do drop people who require benefits such as treatment for on going issues after a knee replacement, any and every chronic illness has a life time benefit and then try to get another insurer. You have to use docs off a list...if you travel don't get sick as you have to seek permission for the simplist of treatments from "plan headquarters". Don't be fooled by most of this propoganda...private health care just takes docs out of the line...not patients as these guys in it for greed only have been educated on your tax dollar and want to work half the time or less for double or more pay. Like we couldn't all live on $450, 000 for a year...in the US some of the docs have salaries in the millions...$15 for a Kotex pad after delivery of a baby...$20 for a single tylenal tablet...think about it Canada...our infant mortality rate is lower than the US our life span longer, we spend on average not five by $7000 per Canadian per year, but the US spends $15, 000 and only the rich get served! I know the health system on both sides of the border and for competance there is no question we have that hands down. Line ups are only short for the rich...most wait for ever in the US and never get equal care. Thank you Canada...

• Vi
      21st of Jun, 2012

Is it true that in 2013 Canadians over the age of 75 will be denied many kinds of health care like surgery?

• Vi
      21st of Jun, 2012

In 2013 will Ontario residents over the age of 75 be denied some surgeries and treatments like dialysis?

• 0 Votes

i have to wait 8 months just to see a specialist for painful shoulder arthritis the meantime i take
    painkillers to prevent myself from thinking about suicide to cope with the pain which is sometimes unrelenting at nighttime painkillers raise my blood pressure so my doctor wants to put me on high blood pressure medication if i lived in the USA access to a specialist is immediate and treatment begins immediately treatment here in begins 12 to 14 months after you see the specialist for all the money we people of Ontario pay in taxes to support the health care system the only reasonable explanation is a combination of corruption and waste

• Ds
      31st of Oct, 2012

Not everything is covered and if the surgery is elective like laser surgery, the patient has to pay. Going to the dentist is not paid for. Luckily for me, my work, pays pretty much everything. If I go to an optometrist. A portion of the eye test and glasses are paid for but not
    all of it. The same goes from drug prescriptions.

There is also Private Health care here as well. They cover everyday medical expenses.
    The main one is Coverme Flex Care from Manulife Financial. coverme.com
    I never used it though.

• Ds
      31st of Oct, 2012

Not everything is covered like elective surgery. Going to the dentist or optometrist is not covered. Luckily for me, my work pays for pretty much everything at the dentist. For the optometrist. They pay up to a certain amount and then I have to pay the rest.

There is also a Private Heath Care Insurance provided by Insurance companies. The main one is Flexcare Cover Me by Manulife Insurance. coverme.com
    I don't use them.