O'hare HondaFailure to Disclose Information

I purchased a used vehicle from your dealer on Saturday, July 11, 2009 and am thus far completely dissatisfied with the way my situation has been handled. I am getting no resolution or satisfaction by phone, so I am writing this letter to you in hopes that you will respond quickly and professionally. I feel the need to bring this matter to your attention for a few reasons: in an effort to maintain a positive relationship with Sales Representative Louis Cavazos, and your dealer; to prevent negative publicity with current and potential customers of yours; to help protect your outstanding rating by the Better Business Bureau; and most importantly, to obtain a sense of satisfaction with my experience at your dealer.
On the evening of Friday, July 10, 2009 Mr. Cavazos showed me a 2001 Honda Accord for sale. I was told by Mr. Cavazos that this vehicle “just came in” but was going to an auction the next day. I inspected the vehicle to the best of my ability and found it to be in acceptable condition. I was given the opportunity to take it for a quick test drive and it seemed to operate without any problems. I asked Mr. Cavazos numerous times if there was anything wrong with the vehicle, and I got replies such as “Nothing, really. It’s just an auction car, ” and “You know, it’s got a lot of miles, what can I say, ” and “You might have some problems down the road, but it runs beautifully.” Mr. Cavazos had nothing negative to say about this vehicle, continuing to point out all of the positives. He said that he would have bought this car for his girlfriend, but this car just came in and he had just bought a different one for her.
After the test drive, I felt pressure to purchase or at least put some money down on the vehicle that evening, but was financially unable to do so at that time. I left the dealer without making a purchase, but was able to obtain a personal loan when I got home, so I called Mr. Cavazos later that evening to tell him I will be in the next morning to purchase the vehicle.
I arrived at the dealer on Saturday, July 11, 2009 at 10:15am. I was greeted by Mr. Cavazos and he had the paperwork ready to go. Since I was paying cash, the transaction went quickly and smoothly. I only waited about a half an hour or so while the car was being prepared for delivery. At that time he said, “You know, the car had been sitting here for such a long time, but it cleaned up real nice, don’t you think?” I found that interesting since he had previously told me it had “just come in.”
We shook hands and I drove the car away from the dealer at approximately 11:00am. TEN MINUTES LATER, less than 5 miles away from the dealer, the transmission on the vehicle failed to operate. The car was not moving at all and I was blocking traffic on Route 14 (Northwest Highway). I shut off the vehicle and called Mr.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Des Plaines, ILCavazos right away to calmly explain the situation. He said there was nothing he could do, the vehicle was bought “as is” but he would check with the manager and call me back. After a few minutes, I was able to get the car off the highway onto a side street. Amazingly, Mr. Cavazos did in fact call me back, only to say the same thing. “They said too bad, you signed the no return agreement and it was bought as is.” Needless to say, I was extremely upset, frustrated and totally dissatisfied. This is certainly not the answer I wanted to hear. I asked to speak with his manager, so he told me I had to call back on a different phone number. I immediately called back, but was forced to leave a voicemail for your sales manager. As of today’s date, I have yet to receive a call from him, or anybody else at your dealer, for that matter.
Your website states that buyers are entitled to the CARFAX reports and 150 point inspection for all used vehicles, which I was not given and have yet to receive. I understand that I waived my right to return the vehicle, but the reality of the situation is that this vehicle had major issues that were not disclosed to me at any point, and I paid for a car that lasted less than 10 minutes. Your dealer knowingly deceived me by selling a vehicle that had major mechanical problems, which is completely dishonest, unethical and just wrong. All of this would have been avoided if I had been given the facts, and if your sales representative was up front and honest with me.
I am in the process of obtaining estimates for repair of the transmission, which are coming in at around $1900 to rebuild it. Mr. Cavazos understands the financial situation I am in right now, and for me to pay for this repair is not possible.
In order to keep me as a completely satisfied customer, I am requesting reimbursement to pay for the whole repair of the transmission on the vehicle I purchased from your dealer. I am also requesting that the CARFAX reports and 150 point inspection of this vehicle be mailed to my home address immediately. I am entitled to at least know what else may be wrong with this vehicle.
You need to understand that there are hundreds of contacts I have at work that are in need of a personal vehicle right now, as we are losing the use of our company vehicles. I know you love referrals. Additionally, I have thousands of contacts in the northwest suburban area that I will be sharing my experience with. The choice is yours whether it is a positive one or negative one. In no way is this a threat, but I have contacts in the legal industry as well as other media communications available to me – newspapers, radio and T.V. stations, as well as the internet and the B.B.B.
Please consider the situation and contact me at your earliest convenience with your solution. I thank you for your time and prompt attention to this matter. I just want what is the right thing to do.