odyssey streaming radio / Attempted Fraud

1 MI, United States Review updated:

Received call attempting to validate an alleged startup on an account with my phone number, leaving number [protected] to call back. Since I had not started up an account, called number back. Immediately the company asks for your phone number, name, etc... When asked for how this account is billed, the response was "through your phone company" - immediate red flag as I do not use regular telephone company.

Asked further about billing, they were unable to provide any details on how the account is set up. Company refused to provide supervisor to get further company information, except they said they were in Tenafly, NJ...further research indicates a registered corporation in NJ as follows:

Odyssey Streaming Radio
24 West Railroad Avenue #139
Tenafly, NJ 07670

In my opinion, this company could be signing up unwanted subscriptions or war-dialing numbers just to get a response so they can obtain personal information from the caller.

Comments

• Mi
      24th of Feb, 2009

Update:

It appears that Odyssey is owned by the following company:

V&T Communication Services Llc
    375 Sylvan Ave Ste 34, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632-2706

Company contact is Josh Gillon

It appears Josh Gillon also runs another website called "The Great American Photo Contest" that also has been identified as a scam site by others.

The address of this company is also
    375 Sylvan Ave Ste 34, Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632-2706

Josh Gillon's rather sparse profile can be found at http://www.linkedin.com/pub/4/511/746

Josh's profile shows that at one time he was the EVP of Traffix... you can look Traffix up on the complaintsboard to see further information on them.

I encourage other people to do some investigation and post your results here...WHERE ARE THE INVESTIGATORS OF ONLINE CRIME?

• St
      25th of Feb, 2009

Have a charge 15.85 from these people through OAN services on my AT&T bill. I called them and they told me that it was signed up through a website...but they couldn't tell me which one. whatever...

they repeated my contact info, but thats not difficult considering its a listed number/address. At least they didn't hassel me about cancelling. They credited both months and offered to put my # on their "do not bill" list.

12th of May, 2009

I had the same thing happen, but it was my son who had filled out the form online trying to get a $50 gift card -- he didn't read the fine print that said the phone line would be charged for the radio product. The company said they contact every phone number they receive online because kids fill out the form and aren't paying attention -- some adults too I guess! NEVER give out your phone number online without reading the page carefully, and don't believe you'll get anything for free! Still I am glad the company contacted me so I could cancel the account before I got charged.

• Lo
      27th of May, 2009
    odyssey streaming radio - fraud
    Grand Rapids
    Michigan

Odyssey streaming radio and Your Billing Solutions Inc showed up as two separate bills added to my at & t phone bill. No one in our family ordered these services. It took three phone calls to get this taken off my bill.

14th of Jun, 2009

I recently had the same problem with it, I am not currently living with my dad and I was away at school and it showed up on the bill saying i ordered it... never heard of it

• Je
      28th of Sep, 2009

Had same thing happen to me, only it was through a computer generated telephone call on my landline phone. They thanked me for my subscription to Odyssey Streaming Radio; end of message said if you have been contacted in error press 1 now. Well, I pressed 1 and the call went into an endless loop and line eventually went dead. So then I figured out that I must have verified the subscription by pressing 1.

Make a long story short, next phone bill I received sure enough there was a 14.95 recurring monthly charge. There was a 1-800 number on their bill which after calling several times I was able to get through to a live rep with a heavy Indian accent. After a half hour of yelling, she finally agreed to credit my phone bill and cancel my account. I do know how you can avoid subscribing when you receive one of these automated calls. I think no matter what you do, you are subscribing to their service.

• Ba
      9th of Oct, 2009

Just called today to get it removed from my AT&T bill. What a scam, I have never signed up for anything like this. They said I did it online on the 18th of June, so I looked up my history and emails (even deleted and spam) from those dates, and nothing. Called AT&T and they said on their view it was blacked out and they could not even see the company name that was making those charges. It shows up as OAN Services, Inc. Lower down on the bill it says Odyssey Streaming Radio. I have called twice today to get the last 3 months of charges for $15.85 refunded. Who knows if this is the end of it.

• Kr
      16th of Dec, 2009

I just had the same experience. I received an email stating that next month's bill was due. I had never heard of Odyssey let alone used it, so I called the number. The first thing they asked me for was my phone number. I refused to give it to them right away. Fortunately the number they had displayed in the email bill they sent me was my work number. When I provided that to them they verified my home address (that didn't make me comfortable at all). They told me they would reverse the charges on my bill, so I pulled out my AmEx bill just to see that we had been billed. She said it wouldn't be charged to my credit card bill. They bill directly through the phone carrier. She did provide me a confirmation number for the cancellation and said she would email me a confirmation as well.

The number they provided n the email was 877.209.4504. The call was actually answered quickly by what sounded to be an on-shore rep who was actually very helpful.

So frustrating!!!

• Ro
      27th of Jan, 2010

The same thing happened to us also. There was a message left on our answering machine about thanking us for subscribing to Odyssey Streaming Radio. I honestly thought that it was a misdialed call and I didn't pay attention. On Dec 8th we get our phone bill when I see a $16.07 charge on it from OAN. I looked up the abbreviation and realized that it is from Odyssey. My husband called them after he got home and was told that he set up the subscription with a gmail account. My husband informed them that he doesn't have a gmail account and he didn't subscribe and he wants it cancelled and our AT & T account credited back for the amount of $16.07. He was told that the subscription will be cancelled and the money will be credited back and for this call he was given a reference number. When I looked at our January phone bill I got the shock, they didn't credit the account, now I was passed due $16.07 plus $5.35 late fee on the account. I called on the 25th of January to find out what is going on. Well, I was told that they did cancel the subscription on Dec 22nd, but didn't put through a credit to the AT&T account. The person that I talked to apologized and he told me that he will put the credit through on the same day. I also wanted to be reimbursed for the $5.35 late fee since it's their fault for not crediting the acct back on time. I had to call back on the 26th because there was no supervisor to whom I could talk to on the 25th ( it was in the evening when I called). The 1st time I called on the 26th, I was told that I'm being transferred to a supervisor, but after waiting on line for 10 min I hung up and called again. The 2nd time I called and talked to "John" and he told me that it is my fault that I didn't pay the full amount of my bill and they will not reimburse me for the late fee, after all they did put through a credit on Jan 25th for $16.07. I simply told him that if they would have done their job and credit the acct on the 9th of December there would be no late fee on my acct, but since they waited 'til Dec 22nd to cancel the subscription and "accidentally" forgot to reimburse us until Jan 25th it is their responsibility to deal with the late fee also. John talked over me, didn't listen and refused to let me talk to a supervisor because they were at a meeting and the supervisor would be telling me the same thing as he did. My husband called again in the evening of the 26th. Finally was able to talk to a supervisor by the name of Helen, who informed my husband that it takes them 2 billing cycles to credit the AT&T acct back for $16.07 but not the $5.35 late charge . My husband informed her that he wasn't told about the 2 billing cycle wait for a credit on Dec 8th when he asked to have Odyssey cancelled and have the $16.07 credited back to us and that Odyssey didn't wait 2 billing cycles to charge us for subscription we didn't order and that his request wasn't honored until the 22nd of December and no credit processed ( supposedly) until the 25th of January. He asked her to transfer him to a manager and her reply was that she doesn't have a manager, so my husband asked for an address to send a complaint to and was given the Tenafly address in New Jersey. At this point I really don't know if we'll ever be credited back for $16.07, we'll see. My husband did file a complaint with the BBB and the Illinois Commerce already and is planning to file complaint with Illinois State Attorney's Office. I just wander if there's anything more that we can do with Odyssey, obviously they are doing something shady. Just for curiosity...did anybody actually seen a credit from Odyssey????

• 99
      29th of Jan, 2010

Received the same call from "Odyssey streaming radio". Left a voice message to dial the 1-800-760-5685 to cancel the service. After searching these reports I will report these frauds.

• Lu
      26th of Feb, 2010

My experience was similar to the above. I got the robo-call and hung up on it. I then received an email confirming my subscription. I immediately called the phone number listed in the email to cancel the subscription. I told them that I never ordered the service. They insisted that I did earlier that day. I told them if they billed my phone bill, that I intended to file fraud charges and they would be prosecuted. Then I emailed the FCC because their phone call was a violation of the Do Not Call list. My last call (so far) was to my phone carrier to report the scam. They told me that I should watch for the bogus charges on my bill. It they try to collect, I should call them back to dispute the charge and they will red-flag my acct.

If I ever found out who sold my email information someone will pay for the inconvenience.

• Ga
      13th of Sep, 2010
    odyssey streaming radio - billed for streaming radio-not ordersed
    Operator Assistance Networks
    Eau Claire
    Wisconsin

checked our AT&T phone bill for our house phone and were billed for streaming radio that was not ordered. We called OAN and they asssured us that we did authorize it. I never would've since we can get free internet radio. They said that we may have clicked on a promotion and somehow okayed it then. They were still going to charge us the 15.77 but cancel the service. I said no charge and then they said they would drop it. Hopefully, they will. Still need to call AT&T to let them know. Now I see that other people have had similar concerns. How can they be stopped?

• Ta
      9th of Nov, 2010

My wife calls me when I'm out of town telling me that our phone bill had a charge of $14.95 on it from odyssey radio streaming. She called the company and they had my email account and birthdate on their records to prove that I had ordered the streaming radio. I told her I had not and called their 877-209-4504 number. They promised a credit on the bill. We are now in a waiting cycle seeing if this happens.

30th of Nov, 2010

Same thing happened to me. Recieved my at&t phone bill and there were two charges of 14.95 for ODYSSEY STREAMING RADIO on it, even though I never signed up for it. Had to contact the company twice to finally get a credit on my account. Requested a copy of this form that I had supposedly filled out, but never recieved one. Afterwards I contacted AT&T where the lady was nice enough to set up a third party block on my account. I would suggest others do this as well.

• Ry
      13th of May, 2011

I was outraged when I found this charge on my AT&T phone bill. I made several calls to make sure that I would not have to pay for these fraudulent fees. How AT&T could allow a company to just tack on fees without your consent is beyond me. I hope this company is dealt with swiftly to prevent others from dealing with this fraud.