ODESK / ILLEGAL SUSPENSION OF ACCOUNT

1 Menlo Park, CA, United States Review updated:

Good day
Well i know why i get suspended ... but its only a mistake forum post .. i accidentally used my wife account instead of mine ...

Remember accident, mistake and sickness is a natural phenomenon you cannot blame anyone on it ...

ive got 3 contracts that still running and a 7 interview
and they suspended me ...

THEY HAVE VERY BIAS FORUM MODERATOR ...

Comments

• Od
      23rd of Jun, 2011

I have been working in ODESK for two years. I had the unfortunate mishap of complaining to their customer service and their Odesk Marketplace of my recent buyer (also known as my employer) and some of my co-workers making fun of my ethnicity and my being a disabled person other than having a hairlip.

If I could draw your attention to their ODESK Marketplace regulations, it bespeaks of two things: GUARANTEED PROTECTION from work and harassment of any form.

When I complained about the buyer's behavior, what happened was that Customer Service referred my case to their Marketplace and I was asked to submit my evidences from pictures (JPEG/PNG) to chat transcripts of any form if available. I have done all of that.

While awaiting the result of the investigation, WITHOUT WARNING, ODESK SUDDENLY PERMANENTLY SUSPENDED MY ACCOUNT.

I was the victim and the complaining party and this is what they do to complainants.

This horrible story just tells you that ODESK is BIASED if you will complain about American Employers and Filipino Co-Workers. I am a Malasian Christian working from home because of my condition but this does not mean I am not useful nor am I a dependent.

ODESK TOLD ME THAT MY SUSPENSION WAS PERMANENT AND I CANNOT ANYMORE COMPLAIN AND THEY WOULD NOT RESPOND TO MY EMAILS ANYMORE.

They claim to have warned me but there was absolutely none and now my account has been permanently suspended and according to their email, it is their prerogative not to reply inspite of the fact that I have a pending complaint lodged against my buyer.

BEWARE! IF YOU ARE A DISABLED PERSON, NOT AN INDIAN, NOT A FILIPINO, THEN PLEASE DO NOT APPLY AT ODESK.

I HAVE LEARNED THAT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE ARE MOSTLY FILIPINOS BUT THE WAY THEY SPEAK (NOTWITHSTANDING THE POOR GRAMMAR) COMES WITH A RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION OF SORTS AND IT IS AS IF THEY ARE AMERICANS AS WELL TOTALLY FORGETTING THEIR BEAUTIFUL CULTURE.

A very sad situation that ODESK refuses to rectify.

-ODESK PROVIDER VICTIM-

11th of Jul, 2011

I was too a victim of Odesk. I have started working on Odesk since March of 2010, and my account was suspended permanently after a year. With a 4.80 star rating and almost 1000 hours.
    So here are the reasons and story behind my struggles on Odesk.

1st violation: If you’re an old or started earlier on Odesk, you could notice that the system "You have applied for this job" is a new system that lets you know you have already applied for that job opening. I was job hunting on that time and I was searching on Business related job opening which is my expertise. I was reading the entire job opening which they look the same for they have the same needs. Copy and paste was not my style in writing cover letters for I have read their terms that spam cover letters are not allowed. I was really confused that one day, they had suspended my account and told me I was having spam cover letters. They told me to have an ID with my verification on it, so I passed a postal ID which is I processed a week and 3 days. I have lost all my job interviews, the jobs applications as well as my time to work. This clearly states that it is not my mistake on my first violation and "they only wanted me to make my account verified so they are making up reasons so I would give them something as identification." Verify your account system was not yet available at that time. Account resumed.

Conclusion: Odesk can suspend your account with no further notice, gives you hassles and also blames you a violation you never committed for their own purposes. (Identification)

2nd violation: I had an employer from Israel and we are working on a powerpoint presentation which he needs it in 3 days. This was an urgent project and he needs it to be done quickly. As a freelancer, you also want to get paid after a project is completed. After we had finished the presentation, his account was suspended and he is not able to send funds. At that time, I needed also money urgently for I have a family and bills to pay (life of a freelancer). So he proposed to me that he would pay me outside Odesk which is Paypal directly, so I agreed to his terms. I knew it was a violation on Odesk terms, but can I decline his proposal? My family will starve if I hadn't agreed on his terms and maybe has possibilities he could runaway with the project finished. Odesk suspended my account for the 2nd time and I admit it was my mistake on this violation. Account resumed.

Conclusion: Odesk is serious on having their percentage on buyers’ funds as well as providers’ earnings.

3rd and last violation: There was a time that I had an employer from the US, this man was really great when we were starting on a social media marketing project. He talks like an educated man whenever we discuss about the project. I would like to let you know guys that I had basic pay of $3-5 per hour on my Odesk profile and with this employer; we had a $1 per hour and 2 hours per week contract. (I accepted this job even though I know the rate is not that good, its still money) One day, he accused me of stealing his money which is the time I had worked for his project and I was wondering what I have done to him to act that way. Seriously, I have higher rates on my past projects and campaigns which are double or triple $1 and I would steal a total of $2 per week? I was so mad and disgusted that after I had done for him on his projects he would accuse me that way. So I need to confront my buyer and explain to him. Another day had come that ODESK again suspended my account but this time it was permanently. (Employer reported me of stealing and threatening which I would assure you guys is not true) They will always accept employers' accusations and take their side.

Conclusion: Odesk is biased when it comes to decision making between provider and employer. Whatever the provider's nationality is, they will always take employers' side. Come to think of, no employers' is equal to no profit. Employers' funds are their profit so providers are second to their priorities. Notice or try to have a misunderstanding with your employer, you will be treated and experience the way I did.

Message: Don't put too much of your life on ODESK, they will push you on the edge of the cliff whenever they want.

21st of Sep, 2011

true check this complaint, an entire blog about someone who made it on oDesk, then made the mistake of filing a complaint about oDesk's poor customer support which resulted in permanent suspension.

15th of Nov, 2012

Odesk Authority and Rules is Realy Unjustice, nonhuman and non Democracy.

• Ah
      16th of Jun, 2014

i am also a suspended due to just one mistake i dont know why odesk always suspend contractor always while the mistake is by there own odesk and spam clients why i suspend and i know there are plenty of loyal and strong contractors suspended by odesk and i believe odesk will be no more number one on market soon ..if they continuously behave and rules like this..its truly unjustice .cruelty my profile score is 100 by 99 ..as i alaways dilivery best work to odesk client thats why they love odesk behind the odesk success is just we all of us ..who did grea tworks..guys is there any legal way left for normal our accounts again// i wish odesk CEO will resume all the suspended contractor again..and give one chance to all..i hope one day they will see this..
    warm regards:
    Ahsan siraj

17th of Sep, 2015

5000+ hours. Life time rating of 4.9+ Suspended. Bam! I kept on asking what's the reason behind suspension but no reason given. They tricked me in closing my opened projects. And then they suspended the account. No reason, no matter how many times I asked. They seriously need to get their **** right. I am not even sure if oDesk CEO Stephane Kasriel is aware of what their amazing "Marketplace Quality Team" is doing. This wasn't end of the world, but extremely disappointing. Company claiming to be leader in freelance market, providing jobs to thousands of people around the world and such behavior? They need to check the quality of their quality team. If they are letting go someone they should show courtesy to let them know what happened, give them a chance. At-least make them feel okay.

Last message:

I really want to help you with your concern but based on our records our working relationship must come to an end.
    Our commitment is to maintain a safe and trusting platform for all users. As a private company, we also have the right to determine who can engage in our platform and at this time our Trust and Safety management team has come to the conclusion that your participation can no longer be supported.

This decision is final and there is no appeal process. While we respectfully ask you not to contact us again, we do wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors.

Thank you.