Octagon Computer - Ozamis City, Philippines / Bad service and lies

1 Philippines Review updated:

Complaint about Octagon Computer, Ozamiz City, Philippines

They said they needed to send the parts to Manila to "verify" they were broken. Initially the problem was a hard drive, and they tried to sell me a hard drive. Then they said the motherboard was bad. Looking inside I could see one of the two memory chips was bad. So they sent the hard drive and motherboard to Manila, promising to fix the parts.

Well weeks and week go by and they keep saying "Oh yes it will be soon". Eventually they told me that they have a repair center in "Manila" and that the parts would be attempted to be "fixed" as opposed to replace. This whole time we keep paying P999 per month for Internet service cause we don't want to incur a re-hookup fee.

The people at this company lied to and ripped us off all through this process. They did not replace the bad memory chip either, although the computer will run on one it won't run as well... however Jean primarily needs it to talk to me. She might still get some use of it for school.

I am now determined to alert other potential and current customers of the scam and lousy customer service we were put through. It is despicable to lie to good paying customer all along and then in the end screw them out of repairs they are entitled to. You mileage may vary but this company is a dog and I would highly recommend not doing a single peso worth of business with them. If you do (or with any other store) get copies of any warranty i writing. Because of the legal system in the Philippines and this being a big store the odds on actually getting a legal victory are slim to none.

There is another way however... make sure that you hold companies accountable for bad service and lies. Tell your friends as well of your experiences. If lots of people did this they would be driven out of business and only the ones who treated people with respect and fairness would remain.

~ BVA, North Bend, WA (USA)

Bv

Comments

• Pa
      4th of Oct, 2007

Very True! I also have the same experience the only difference is that my motherboard is still at Octagon Manila.

My story is this, I bought a PC from them (Octagon Cagayan de Oro) last February and it runs good but then five months after the PC was slowly have problems. It came to the point where in the PC no longer boot. So I brought it to their store and and they run some test. After that they said that I have to used a power supply with bigger wattage and so I did bought one. The next day, the PC is back again which would not boot so again I brought to their store. This time they said they will test my Graphics Card and then they said it may be the cause of the problem. While I am not contended on what they say, I looked for ways to test it with my own. I bought another Graphics card to test it. But still the problem was never resolve. Finally they said, they will ship the motherboard to Manila to replace it as they say. From the time of the problem till the time they said they will ship it to their main office was almost a month. And so, I let them brought the motherboard to their main office to replace it. They said they will call me if it will arrive. They haven't gave me any service PC. One month and half later, the package arrived. When I got there they said that they have to send it back to Manila because the box is correct with the wrong Motherboard model. I was really pissed at that time. That was really a negligence of those whoever packed that box. Till Now they haven't gave me back my motherboard. What a shame on them, a big company with a zero customer service attitude.

• Je
      14th of Nov, 2007

Its true!!! I don't want to spend my money on that sore!!!

• Ri
      28th of Mar, 2008

I also have the same experience with my combo drive that was bought here in Cebu.

After a few months of using the drive it suddenly stoped from reading and buring cd's.

Knowing that has 1 year warranty, I returned it to octagon and they promised to have it replaced. It took months before the burner was sent back here in cebu (they sent the burner to manila). Unfortunately, to my surprise, the device was not replaced and the warranty sticker that was in the device was not removed/replaced (you could notice it by its color). When I tried to test drive the device, the previous problems that I used to have are still present. These led me to a conclusion that it was never reparied.

I returned the device to octagon and they sent it back to manila. When it was returned to me, the warranty sticker was already replaced. I test drived the device yet the problems are still there. The bad news is, the 1 year warranty has already expired. It was consumed when the device was in octagon's service center, yet, the burner was never repaired.

• Js
      8th of May, 2008

I'm in the market to buy a wireless router in the next week and thanks to this thread I will not buy it from Octagon Computer store in SM North, Quezon City. There are many decent dealers in Greater Manila who treat customers better than this.

• In
      22nd of Jul, 2008

Thank you guys... It's good to find out first the image of this store because I really do have a plan to buy Laptop for my daughter as my surprise gift for her birthday. I dont want to spend my hard earned money into a trash if most of the customers encountered the same problem. Neither do I want to be counted as one. Again, Thank you guys...

• Ak
      25th of Jul, 2008

it is not good in bussiness and shamful also

• Ri
      26th of Jul, 2008

i think these people have their own points and wont badmouth anything just for nothing...im looking forward buying a PC FROM THIS STORE...UNTIL I SAW THIS...this is something for me to think about or scratch this store from my list...thanks

12th of Oct, 2008

i also have the same experience with my PC bought at octagon ozamiz.

Knowing that it has a warranty, i went back to the store and presented the problem to the personnel but to no avail.

they said the damage is not part of the warranty instead they suggested that i may buy a new one.

had i known that there product was not in good quality i did not spend my hard earned money in their product.

the worst thing was, when i bought the product no papers found inside the box of the printer discussing the warranty of it. The best thing that they must do at that time supposedly was to discuss with me the terms and conditions of their product since no papers were available inside the box, but it did not happen.

they were just happy then that they got one product sold. they did not think of their customers, they just think of their own.

• Ro
      13th of Oct, 2008

Villman Trinoma : Never go near this store. I bought an Asus EeePC 900 last week. Specs. say 20 gig Hard Drive and 1.0 gig memory. I spent sleepless night for one week trying to make it work.. What is unknow, the primary drive is 4 gigs + 16 gigs secondary drive. Load WinXP home plus a few programs, the disk is full on the 4 gig. it wont run anymore because the disk is full to the neck. Then switch slave drive as the 1st drive 16 gig and the onboard 4 gig as the secondary drive. It worked ONLY it should process commands as what a 1 gig ddr2 memory should do. It was so slow like a 32 mb ram . One command at a time. you wait 2-3 minutes to open application after another. They are selling LEMON units. Here is the thing- i went to the above mentioned store. I told them it is not a software issue- the kalbo technician immediately answered me, you can leave it here and wait for ONE MONTH or go to Pasig and Mega Mall Asus Service Center and submit the unit yourself. In short BAHALA KA SA BUHAY MO kung ayaw mo mag antay ng one month. This happened last Sunday, October 03 2008. I run my fist on the key board and thrown the laptop hard on the floor of VillMan TRinoma. Gusto Mo Ba manyari sa iyo ito ? While i was in that store when the kalbo tecnician try to show off his his trouble shooting skill. There were several customers returning printers and Inks they bought. My conclusion VILLMAN store must be re-cycling returened items untill they meet people like me to get rid of it. A sign it was a return item, there was a sticker at the back which say july 04 2008 on the code.

• Al
      19th of Oct, 2008

I never have those customer service problems because I never buy those computers and I only buy those peripherals hence I have no need for warranty. I buy like those wi-fi access points and routers those cute mice, cd's, keyboards and those thingys that use the power from the usb port like the fan thingy which uses the usb power and the others like the essential oil burner. Basically, if you don't want to experience their bad customer support, take care of your items. Put them in a room where it's not humid and there's not much salt. Like an aircon room.

• Dr
      19th of Oct, 2008

YES, Octagon Ozamiz SUCKS! Very poor costumer service. Their staff looks sleepy and weak all the time. Its either kulang sa vitamins or walang kain. And they are very unpolite, and busy playing pc games. I bought 1 unit CD drive more than a year ago, in one week it wont run anymore. I returned the unit to them as it still under warranty, asked me to fill up some form as they will send it to manila and be back in two weeks. I returned to the store after two weeks, after 1 month, after 2 months, every month, after 1 year, Until I finally lost my claim slip due to more than 1 year of returning to their store. Huh! for just a 700 peso CD Drive. I hope the higher management knew this kind of service from their branches. And also hope that they will close shop here in Ozamiz coz I can only see the security guard most of the time inside and no costumers at all. Nilalangaw na sila.

25th of Oct, 2008

If you are not an IT person, don't buy eeepc. it has only 800 to 700 mhz proc speed. You have to know the DO and Don'ts, How to maintain and how to tweak to make it run properly. Jason- ITPerson-Dubai

25th of Oct, 2008

I mean 800 to 900 mhz even if it has intel atom 1.6 ghz. if you have no one to maintain it regularly, you'll be wasting your moooney

• Li
      5th of Feb, 2009

I also have a bad experience when i visited OCTAGON Computer store LIMKETKAI MALL in Cagayan de Oro City last November ... the store has a lot people and the sales man are busy at that time so i look around check out the laptops then this fat ugly security guard saw me looking at the laptop and start sales talk me to buying one. My budget is only 20 thousand pesos so i asked him if there is a cheaper laptop maybe a price of 20 thousand or below but he insulted me and giving me a bad attitude saying " Maam sa surplus ka dapat pumunta mga bago ang mga tinda namin dito. doon ka dapat pumunta sa american surplus sa labas ng mall. so walk out and being insulted by a security guard i cant forget his tag name in his uniform SG NAPULI i will never go near this store again. He is not doing hes duty guarding the store instead he acts like a sales man not only that hes rude person i dont know why they hired this kind of person.

• He
      3rd of Apr, 2009

goodness! i almost bought a laptop from octagon here in our place. God is good i came across this forum. thanks to all of u guys!! God bless!

• Ni
      8th of May, 2009

yes octagon [censored]ing sucks period!!!my aunt bought a pc set there and in less than 12 months it doesnt work! the computer says that windows thing is not genuine and then goes into BSOD! they are [censored]ing scammers! so nobody should buy anything from that store ever again and that they should go out of business and then die after their ### products explode in their faces!!!those mother [censored]ing a holes! sobrang mahal don tapos hndi naman gagana yung mga binebenta nila! they should get sued! they are so freakin desperate to make money that they'll scam people into buying their ### filled products!!!
    yeah thats right i am HUMAN and i AM a ### and im pretty [censored]in pissed like hell so die ### sucking scammers!!!

• En
      3rd of Jun, 2009

I have a bad experience sometime last year when I bought a sony laptop SR25 from TCA Megamall. During the first week, I noticed a dead pixel from the screen. I called them up and tried to return it pero sabi nila I just have to go to a Sony service center. So I went to Sony Service center and they did not replace the LCD, they just repaired it. Imagine how can you repair the LCD. Anong akala nila lahat ng customers nila tanga. bringing the unit home, I checked it and the dead pixel was still there. So frustrated I was, I sold it na lang.

After one year, I am looking for a laptop again since i sold my sony ### laptop. I was checking the laptops at MOA and I tried to go to TCA MOA. ###, ganun pa din ugali nila BASTOS!!! biro mo they did not entertain me at all, like what is my preferrences etc. Ang tanong nung sales lady e cash ba daw and payment ko o Card. ### talaga>>> Never buy your any stuff at TCA> Puro false promises lang.

• Un
      15th of Apr, 2010

Well Well, and I thought I was the only one that had problems! what I do find surprising is the fact that I have dealt with all the places mentioned in the complaints and guess what? I have had the same experiences as the complainants above. a few years ago I purchased a top of the line desktop and it kept shutting down (Villman) Mega mall. After numerous visits to their store and after many conversations with some of their technical staff they replaced the motherboard and away I went hoping that they had solved the problem. ...Not so lucky! after 2 motherboards they decided it must be something else, but they were not sure what it was! (very well trained technitions). eventually I called in a friend of ours who had just returned from overseas. He had a look at the machine and within half an hour he identified the problem as a faulty power supply. I informed Villman that I thought it had a power supply problem but they said there was nothing wrong with it. As I was sick of the way their so called technitions were so hopeless at their job I demanded a full refund for the PC. Eventually I did get a refund after a lot of hassle. Never deal with Villman is the lesson learned.
    I also had much the same problem with PC xpress. They replaced parts with second hand parts in one of our office PCs with second hand parts ( the unit was only 3 weeks old and under warranty) then when the second hand parts did not work properly they then claimed they did not do any work on the machine.
    If anyone wants good quality machines, good service and technical backup try a company in Makati by the name of Microphase Corp. Our Corp. has used them for a number of years now and they are very good with their warranty etc. While they may be a little more expensive than the rest of the clowns I have had dealings with it is good to know that whatever we buy in the way of electronics is fully backed by service and any help we require. They also will visit your office or home.
    In my experience, the ones to keep away from are CD-R King, Villman and of course our beloved PC Xpress. Hope this helps.

• Ku
      5th of Jun, 2010

This is going to be the reply to the complains brought forth by BVA against Octagon Ozamis. He wrote:

"In October of last year I bought my wife Jean a computer from the Octagon store in Ozamiz City. I was assured that it was covered by a warranty but did not get a copy of it. In March of this year the computer started going south. When I came in April it was not working and we took it to the store."

Reply: Sir, you were told not to lose your receipt for it will serve as the warranty slip. You were given a copy of the receipt but your inlaws lost it. The receipt was the guarantee for the warranty.

he wrote: "They said they needed to send the parts to Manila to "verify" they were broken. Initially the problem was a hard drive, and they tried to sell me a hard drive. "

Reply: Sir, you were told right about whats broken but you were also explained what would happen and how long it would take. The attempt to sell you another hard drive was out of your impatience. The staff just gave you a suggestion. It was not pitching sales, it was pitching options that you asked for.

he wrote: "Finally after three months and lots of sales pitches to replace the whole machine, the parts were returned. The motherboard apparently works now (at least Jean thinks so) and the hard drive was presumably replaced. However they did not actually reassemble the computer, expecting more money for that. Jean instead has hired a third party to come over... put the parts in... and set the computer back up for her with software and configuration."

Reply: Sir, as I've said before, they were not sales pitches as you call them they were options to answer your impatience. The staff did not reassemble your computer because they want it done at home which we do not do. Our warranty, as stated in the receipt if you had not lost them, is carry-in.

The problem with you was you were never present to check on the updates yourself. You only relied to your inlaws. Obviously, you were not informed well and was instead given unpleasant ideas.

He wrote: "The people at this company lied to and ripped us off all through this process. They did not replace the bad memory chip either, although the computer will run on one it won't run as well... "

Reply: Sir, please remember that we never spoke or you never spoke to "The people" you were referring to. You spoke to your inlaws. Therefore it was not "The people at this company" who lied to you. You did not make the updating yourself. none of these people spoke to you after you left.
    Also, the memory chip was not replaced due to the nature of its defect...corrosion due to salt in the air because you brought your computer to a house near the sea. Who knows how it was used and taken care of?
    Do you?

He wrote: "The failure of the parts I am pretty sure is the result of the heavy salt air, humidity, smoke, and such where she lives; this does not however free the company from thier warranty obligation. At one point I asked for a copy of the warranty and they said they don't have "Copies", just one store copy and they would not provide it or furnish us with our own copy."

Reply: Since you knew the reason, you must've known that this voids the warranty hence freeing the company for any obligation. The copy of the warranty you were asking for was already given to you and you passed on who later lost it. Sir, you were furnished with a copy and was told not to lose it. You were holding to this copy when your items were delivered at your door together with the swivel gaslift chair that was unpaid and was never returned.

• Ce
      1st of Aug, 2010

I'll tell you one thing, salt in the air or no salt in the air, there was a warranty and it should have been honored by these crooks.
    As far as a warranty, a receipt is not a warranty.
    I build and sell computers in Cebu and will tell you point blank, you must provide a warranty on paper, signed by the seller and the buyer to even advertise the warranty legally.
    Otherwise it is illegal and simply an "implied" warranty, which is worth nothing to the buyer, but worth a lot of ill gotten money to a ruthless seller.
    Don't even jump on this customer, you have been slammed by dozens of people over the years and if you would like to stay in business, you need to change your attitude.
    The customer is always right, no matter that you disagree with him or her.
    Poor customer service has shut down dealers of the best of products and good customer service has made millionaires out of those who sell mediocre products.