Ocean Beach Club/Goldkey resort / Timeshare week forfeited because of missed maintenance payment

Have you ever heard of losing you deeded week even after you have paid for the yearly maintenance fee as well as the collection fee (another 50%)? Does this sound reasonable?

It sounds very fraudulent to me. Now that I have paid for the yearly maintenance fee, my "deeded" week is still in a forfeited status. After trying to resolve the issue with the "owner association", Jackie Riggs, her response was she has to "look out for the interest of the other owners of the association."

Frankly, I do not think any consumers would accept this at all. I am in the process of finding this out online. Basically, the maintenance fee was $614 and the collection fee was $221. I believe in any business relationship, you give some and you gain some. In this case, I think I gave some and got a lemon.

Comments

9th of Jul, 2008

Ddi you file a complaint with Better Business Bureau or Consumer Complaint with Virginia Attorney Genral's Office? Have you settled this issue yet?

• Jm
      17th of Mar, 2009

I have been Gold Key owner (Villas at the Board Walk then Ocean Beach Club) for about 6 years. I 'vehad two family members in two different hospitals at the same time: my husband and his mother. We upgraded our unit at OBC in October 2008. Because of that I had been unable to get on line to care for the maintenance fee for the new unit which was due January 2009. On 3/17/09 I again tried to access the site and was successful but I found that my unit had been forfeited for the year, I owed a $50 late fee and collection charges of $264. I understand having to pay the extra charges, even though I was practically living at two different hospitals, the paments were my responsibility. What I am very upset at is that my week has been forfeited. They not only get the late fees but they also get the benefit of renting out my week or whatever they do with "forfeited weeks" which I believe is unjust enrichment. I intend to file complaints with the BBB and any other agency I can think of. Any suggestions?

• Co
      17th of Mar, 2009

Pay what you agree to or lose

• Pj
      3rd of Apr, 2009

We purchased a 2 bedroom lock-off at the Ocean Beach Club, while on vacation in Virginia Beach in September of 2004. They were promoting the construction of a new tower, so we bought in at a pre-building price of $8500.00. We honestly have to say, that we bought it on a whim, and this was our first timeshare purchase. We bought week 6, which is our anniversary week, but it is still in the dead of winter. We pay the maintenance fees every January, and have yet to stay there. We have been trying to sell this timeshare for the past four years, and cannot get rid of it. We have wasted over $2000. trying to sell it. The only good thing, is that it trades well with the exchange companies, and since we can't get rid of it, we can atleast benefit from it's exchange value. We now own three timeshares, and two vacation club memberships.

With today's declining economy, home foreclosures, lost jobs etc... I don't think that Gold Key resorts is going to make any profit from your forfeited week. Gold Key and all the other timeshares companies, only care about their bottom line, and that is getting our money, by any means necessary. If you told them you were dying of cancer, they would want your spouse or your heirs to continue to pay your maintenance fees on time, after you death.

I am sorry, for your situation, but when it comes to timeshares, we are swimming with the sharks.

Regards,
    PJT

• Kf
      1st of Jul, 2009

yea well if u didnt buy a timeshare in the first place, u wouldnt have to deal with this ###. how ###ed can u be to sign a deed entitling you to own time?!
    and OF COURSE they will make money from the unit! it is available and they WILL occupy it. there is no mercy in business.
    good luck.

• Ev
      17th of Oct, 2009

We bought a 2 bedroom lock off as well, with Ocean Beach Club for January with the intention of EXCHANGING it with Interval International. We have now found out... Interval never has anything available anywhere we want to go! We tried to sell our $13, 450 timeshare on E-Bay for $1.00 and there were NO TAKERS!

My friend who is a Contract Lawyer in New York City recently called Ocean Beach Club on our behalf because we want out of it, he was told that we have to pay the Maintenance Fees in perpetuity, even after we are dead they will come after the estate!

Can we form a group and fight them ?

It looks like the Attorney General in Virginia is not doing much to look into it because it brings a lot of revenues to the state!

• Da
      26th of Jan, 2010

Attention Gold Key Resort Time sharers,

We brought into week #13 dates 3-27-10 to 4-3-10 at Turtle Cay, 1081 19th Street, unit #105, Virginia Beach, Va. 23451.

I would like to add that after numerous attempts to acquire an exchange of week #13 for two short stays, their system of exchange difficult and frustrating. They want you to give up your week no later than January 26, 2010 to acquire short stays, if we wish to exchange for two short stays. Yet we cannot get a confirmation of the weeks we wanted 5-21 2010 to 5-25-2010 and 9-3-2010 to 9-8-2010 more than 60 days of when we want to book. I am not a gambler. We were also duped into thinking we acquired a fluctuating one week a year vacation, during what their sales personnel, told us was a “red zone”, leading us to believe that our deeded week was actually giving us an availability of a vacation from March to September if we made our choice before 1-26-2010. We have since found out that this was a lie. The slick sales tactic that was used to sell us real estate in their organization was well below the belt.
    Be advised that we will never recommend our friends or relatives to invest in Gold Key Resorts, ever!!! We are more that capable of paying our membership yearly dues, $542.00 and monthly mortgage, without selling our friends down the river. We will never give them any more names to processing as a way to eliminate the yearly dues of $542.00. The names initially given to them have all been notified of their deceptive practices. The members of our church, St. Matthews with a membership of over 3000 will read this letter that I will post on our church bulletin board and website. I know this will not put a dent in their productivity, nor do they even care. But be advised that this angry owner is networking with others to brainstorm on ways to get the word out, including local newspapers in Virginia Beach of their sales tactics, i.e. this website is just the beginning.

Sick in Sicklerville, N.J.

• Ca
      16th of Apr, 2010

Sad to say, but my husband and I feel we were flim-flammed. We lost use of our week #1 because our dues weren't paid by 1/1. However, as you know, we still had to pay the dues and the late fee. How horrible.

We just got a call this week inviting us to come down for the weekend. My husband said "No way!! After they jipped us out of a week, they can forget it, and they'll never get a referral from me again!" They probably don't realize the negative power of disatisfied members.

Ambler, PA

• Cr
      16th of Jun, 2010

GOLD KEY IS THE WORST...I just got a deeded week timeshare at Boardwalk Villas and tried to deposit it into interval international. I sent all the paperwork in and they forfeited my week even after I paid the yearly maintenance. They didnt offer any sort of compensation (free weekend or week in the off season). The customer reps are rude and should be unemployed because their sense of customer service is bar none THE WORST. Everytime I speak with one of them I feel like I am inconveniencing them, but as I can see from these complaints, I am not the only one having trouble. This experience has mad me want to sell my timeshare...and I havent even been there yet!!!

Craig V
    New York, NY

• Ca
      13th of Jul, 2010

GOLD KEY SUCKS!!! i don't recommend anyone ever buy from them. they always find a reason to forfeit you week even it is their fault. I paid everything on time and my week was also forfeited. I tried to find out why only to find out they put the wrong account number. I had the canceled check that had the right account number. I also had when it cleared & it was in time. After that I said screw them.

• Kk
      16th of Jul, 2010

Funny, you all complain about your ownership at Gold Key and I bet not one of you know how to use it. Try reading the fine print and learning how to use your timeshare and you may actually be happy. I am but I learned the hard way, just like all of you fools who think you just have to make a phone call. Learn how to use what you bought!

20th of Jul, 2010

what did u find in fine print, , can u please tell us ./that would be helpfull

• Ro
      31st of Jul, 2010

RCI just settled a Class Action Suit with millions of their customers for the same reason, the fine print was FLAWED !
    Otherwise RCI would have not settled or made restitution to all their millions of customers.

Gold Key Resorts -Ocean Beach Club, Virginia Beach, Va and Interval International are being sued in Federal Court in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Plaintiffs bought a timeshare with Ocean Beach Club with the sole purpose of using the time share as an exchange with Interval International .

We all know by now that there is never anything available because they sell our deposited weeks, (that's how they make their money) rather than exchange them to Interval Members !

STAY TUNED !

• Li
      8th of Aug, 2010

My husband and I were stupid enough to fall for the timeshare sales pitch with Gold Key and after 5 hours we signed on contract at 9pm on a Wednesday night. We realized the mistake we made that night and called them as soon as their offices open the next day and said we wanted out. There was a 7 day cancellation clause in the contract. At first they said we should come in and talk to the sales person again but I said no. I said we just need to cancel everything and I had already written the cancellation notice and wanted to hand deliver it. They connected me to the business manager and he told me to come in to the office (where we did the contract) with the cancellation letter. We did that and he stamped it received with the date, signed it, and we gave all the sales related material back. He said we would get our deposit back in 45 days. That was it - we thought we were done. When we got home we also sent another letter of cancellation to the address stated in the contract stating that we had already canceled the contract but were being extra sure and included the cancellation notice again. The 2nd cancellation notice was also within the 7 day cancellation period (sent certified, returned receipt). Now 2 weeks later we are getting letters from them asking for things as though nothing was canceled. What should we do? This is extremely stressful.

8th of Aug, 2010

call and complain to Attorny Genral office ...

• Ev
      14th of Aug, 2010

hey listen i think we may have something in comon i think i might have bought your time share. We where doing the paper work to buy it but then we got out of it. However after the fact about 2weeks later they took out money from my account with out any authorisation. and now we are in the process of fighting it. i need to speak with you can you email me. it the same week and i need to talk to you.

• El
      30th of Aug, 2010

Hi I have just made the same mistake by signing a contract to a timeshare and would like to cancell it.
    Can anyone please give me some advise on how to go about cancelling the contract it has ben 3 days since signing what should I do And if so how has anyone handled this

30th of Aug, 2010

seend them certified mail.keep all paper work ..or have lawyer do yr work ..

• El
      30th of Aug, 2010

I will send them a cancelation letter certified and its within 3days of signing contract I'll let you know how things go thanks

• Li
      31st of Aug, 2010

This is Lisa222. I am following up with my posting from about 3 weeks ago. I called down to gold key and they said our contract was cancelled – so that was a major relief. We still haven’t gotten a refund on our credit card. It has been about 36 days since I canceled. I am going to give it a few more days and then do a charge dispute with the credit card company.