Oan Services And Verizon / Fraudulent directory service charge!

San Antonio, TX, United States Review updated:

My recent Verizon home phone bill included a charge for "dir asst chg" called to [protected]; it was 1 minute and cost $5.49 + $1.65 for "USF Carrier Admin Fee" and $.36 in State Tax. It was listed under "Other Providers" OAN Services. I never heard of OAN and never dialed the number listed.

Ironically, before calling OAN to demand a refund and explanation, I called an 866 number to activate a new credit card. Instead of getting connected I got a message about some new national directory service that started with a "10". I hung up then tried the same 866 number and this time was connected normally. But, I just realized how the scam works. Somehow, OAN is able to intercept calls to 800 and 866 numbers that are made from residential lines and they slyly advertise their service which almost sounds like you have no choice since as the consumer all you wanted was to reach the number you just tried to dial. Instead, you now have some explanation of a service to connect your call. I could see how people could unwittingly use the service. They must bank on the fact that if every family in the US makes this mistake just once a year they make millions.

I called and demanded that they remove the charge and block this service from my phone. They said they did block it but when I requested a transaction number for the service block I was just given the name of the employee "Bob" and his employee ID # 83759 (he must feel special about that and it says a lot about the kind of company Bob works for). So, I wasted 30 minutes of my day that I normally spend playing with my young daughters. Thank you OAN and Verizon!
Br

Comments

Jo
  12th of Feb, 2008
I received 2 fraud charges on my Verizon bill from OAN for directory assistance. I never use directory assistance on my regular phone line. When I called Verizon they told me they could not reverse the charges and that I would have to contact OAN. These fraudulent charges are so wide spread across the country, when is the FCC or some government agency going to stop this. It is so ridiculous that you can't even use a phone anymore with out the fear of being scammed without knowing it. If Verizon is not going to protect their customers, then why even have a local phone company. BLOCK all third party billing is the only answer for protection. A SCAM is a SCAM, stop this insane billing! We suffer for a company that we pay the services to and expect reliable phone service, now we have to accept the ripoffs too?? Give me a break... shut the damn scammers down.
Ka
  31st of Oct, 2008
i received a phone call from a "company" that said it was associated with Verizon. THey said they would set up my "free" businss listing in the internet yellow pages with a website. When I recieved my Verizon bill- it was over $40.00 more than the ususal bill. I immediately called this ESBI" and cancelled this service also saying that I was not responsible for the charge currently on my bill. I received a cancellation # and then immediately called erizon. Spoke to a very helpful person who said he receives hundreds of complaints identical to mine. DO NOT ACCEPT ANY PHONE CALLS ABOUT YOUR SERVICE OFFERING TO GIVE YOU FREE SERVICE!!! EVER! They are scam artists.
Eh
  26th of Jan, 2010
I also noticed many charges for directory assistance and a $13.73 monthly charge for OAN Provider service. I called Verizon and they could not providee me any information about this company and did agree that they understand why I am frustrated. I called the number for OAN and they stated my daughter (they knew her e-mail address and name) signed up for digital service for her web page which my daughter knows nothing about. I told them she was not authorized for this services. They gave me no argument and said they will credit my verizon bill for services since March - which will be for $142.45. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU READ EACH PAGE OF YOUR BILL!! ljc