NYBS Creative Arts / Theft of Services, Lying to Customers&

1 336 West 37th Street , New York City, NY, US Review updated:
Phone: 212.245.6371

NYBS Creative Arts still owes me back pay and comissions. They made a verbal agreement with me. When several red flags made me nervous about them (including stating that it was customary to "withhold the first pay check until some later date", after I had already been there over a week) I asked that they put my contracts into writing. They refused. I still have not recieved my money several months later.

I was regularly verbally harassed by Mr. Miller and Ms. Sone and watched as they made several other employees cry and dismissed applicants for work as "too fat", "too ugly", "too ghetto". I was finally assaulted by Ms. Sone herself and filed a police report to document the incident. I demanded that I recieve my pay, was told I would get it, and have yet to be paid. While working there I recieved several complaints about the same thing from previous employees.

Ms. Sone has an ego that cannot be contained. She thinks she is comparable to donnna karen, but she is a has been. She believes that everyone should want to work for her for free and I watched her take advantage of an International Student by making them "intern". This internship seemed to be more of a free cleaning service.

Comments

• Th
      Sep 17, 2009

EMPLOYERS BEWARE TRACY NORTON IS A CHECK FORGER, A LIAR AND A THIE[censored] This is a rebuttal to the lies, false and defamatory statements posted by dis-gruntled, ex-employee TERESA "TRACY" NORTON on August 21, 2009. This is an attempt to set the record straight with the truth and the facts. We categorically deny all of her libelous assertions of abuse and mistreatment. We have a wonderful company and provide excellent instruction in Make-Up Artistry. Unfortunately for Tracy Norton she couldn't fit in and developed an animosity towards her employers eveident by her hyperbole, apparent jealousy and lies stated in her ridiculuos web postings. What she fails to tell you is that in her desperate need for ready cash, she forged the Owner's name on a check and deposited it into her bank account and lied to me about it to cover it up! She was arrested on July 2, 2009 by the New York City Police Department and charged with Grand Larceny in the fourth dgree, a Class "E" felony! Moreover, rather than fight the charges (as an innocent person would do), she agreed to accept an ACD, an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal which means, all evidence of her criminal, conduct will be sealed and the matter administratively dismissed so long as she commits no additional crimes in a six (6) month period. Her sentencing date is October 7, 2009 at the Criminal Court located at 100 Centre Street, New York, New York in Part ASC (People v. Teresa Norton, docket number 2009NY058771). To learn more go to the New York State Unified Court System web-site (E-Courts/Web-Crims). Employers need to know the truth about this individual. She also stole corporate documents and business cards, refuses to return these items after we requesated them but still claims she is owed something. Nonsense! She has dark and sinister side to her that reared its ugly head after she resigned from our company due to her poor performance and mood swings. What a loser. Wish we had known about her background before we hired her. Employers don't be fooled she is toxic.

Warmest Regards,

TheMessengerof Truth

• Ol
      Oct 22, 2009

i was a student a nybs the so called owners are ###. my 15 thousand was waisted an iam having the school investigted. i feel like i was robbed. mrs sone is a has been. she is nothing like DK nobody in her industry know of her. ive had plenty of jobs and know alot of people thats have no clue what te hell is nybs or akemi sone. do not attend this school its not ligit and organized and there makeup i old. g o mudd makeup . nybs is full of ###.

• Mi
      Feb 10, 2010

I am very glad I read this.. I have been looking for schools to go to in the nyc area.. thank you for the input "old student"

• Ny
      Apr 28, 2013

I made several pre-payments before being informed by miss Sone that there were to be no studio nor instructors for my classes and that she intended to teach me my lessons in her APARTMENT. I told her that is not what I signed up for and that I wanted the money that I had pre-paid back, and she refuses to refund my money! Anybody who has had a negative experience with NYBS, especially if you have lost money to them, please contact me!

• Te
      Dec 19, 2013

I have been scammed! I paid 10, 000 in full and the rest was suppose to be installments for the year course they wouldn't let me continue after : months . Like r u ###ing kidding me ! Us this real life! This was when they moved there original location to trump on the west side her swanky all white apt like really wtf is that . My poor money gone down the drain I saved up so I can go to school to follow a dream I moved to my for this. I contemplated this of going to college or this I decided to follow my dreams that were broken . I could have gotten a real education for the money that went down mrs akemi sone and Roy millers pure white drain in there all white apt! ###s pure evil rotten people. How could u do this to people . It's wrong the lies .its amazing how they are getting away with this. ###ing unbelievable !

• Ms
      Jul 10, 2015

I was an "employee" in this place about 6 years ago. Everything said above (the main post) is truth! My "employee" contract consisted of me being able to take a basic makeup course in exchange for working daily (full-time) for several months. I could take the course at the end of my work period and I HAD TO PAY for my makeup kit/brushes (Yes! I had to pay and buy from them, no choices offered!).
    Ms Sone is a has been -she has talent, she has knowledge, she is good. But she is NOT that good! And her ego is so ridiculously big, her attitude is so nasty that it is not worth it!
    She really does think it is a privileged for people to work for her for free. She really has taken advantage of international students!!! She makes them run errands, clean her studio, bring her things to her house... without giving them any special classes, any payment or anything. In fact, many of them PAY HER -being her students!!!
    YES, Ms Sone has made employees cry and I WAS ONE OF THEM! She has been rude and humiliated me more than once in front of people.
    Working for Ms Sone was the worse professional experience of my life. I stayed there only a few weeks -in these weeks, I saw her accuse people of stealing, I saw her delaying payments from different employees, I saw her being snob and rude to people.
    Nothing to say about Mr. Miller, he was polite to me at all times and I saw him only a few times while I was there.