Number 1 Auto Transport / got scammed by car shipping broker

1 Merrick, NY, United States

I used Number 1 Auto Transport to ship my car from OH to MO. The communication was seemingly easy going and direct. However, this was not the same standard maintained by the actual car carrier who was shipping my vehicle. Overall, I had a positive experience with the staff working for the broker, but as my experience with the carrier they matched me with, I had an awfully unpleasant experience.

Within just a few hours of submitting my request for a free quote, I was called by a representative from Number 1 Auto Transport that worked with a carrier who was willing to ship my car from Ohio to Montana. It was for $75 over my initial quote, but I agreed to it anyway because they made the carrier sound so dependable and trusted. The estimated delivery date would be 4/30. I asked for a little bit of time to talk it over with my fiance, as that was a few days later than I was hoping for. A few minutes later, the driver himself contacted me and said it would actually be on 4/26 or 4/27 that the car would be delivered in MO. I went ahead and booked with the carrier directly.

I was told the car would be picked up at 3pm on the day scheduled. That morning, I called the driver and he confirmed around a 3pm pickup, and that he would call 30 minutes prior to arriving. We planned our day accordingly. By 4pm, I had not heard from the driver and contacted him once again. He now said it wouldn't be until 8pm, so we completely rearranged the day again after already waiting. By 8pm, I had not heard from the driver. When 8:30 rolled around, he had finally arrived.

As previously stated, the car carrier said they'd have the car delivered no later than 4/27. On 4/26, I followed up with the driver. His response was that he was close, not really sure what that meant. After I followed up again, he said he was still hours away with several other deliveries to make first. I do not understand why he did not share this information prior to me saying I was heading back to the drop off location for his arrival, as he must have known the order in which he was dropping off vehicles all along.

I did not hear from him until 7pm-- he did not answer my text messages or calls, and he sent my calls right to his full voice mailbox for the next few hours. Finally, I had to call the car carrier to be informed that my vehicle wouldn't arrive for a few more days yet! I ended up having to rent a vehicle so that my fiance and I both could drive to work as needed.

I understand that the car shipping process cannot be exact in terms of dates and times due to obstacles such as traffic, road construction and weather can all affect estimated dates. BUT as a customer, I expect to get updated information, especially when in relation to something as valuable as a vehicle. I believe I was given misleading information from the driver on multiple occasions. The communication I deserved as a customer was missing. Had the driver been providing accurate updates along the way, the process would not have been so stressful. I ended up getting my car close enough to the date promised but all the stress and false alarms could have been avoided.

Number 1 Auto Transport