NTB / ruined my car!

NTB National Tire &Battery
Yesterday morning I brought my car to NTB (National Tire & Battery) on 114 in Danvers. I went in and had asked for 2 tires to be replaced on my car. While in the process of waiting for my car to be finished, the sales associate cam up to me and explained that their mechanic decided to pop the hood of my car and thought that I may have antifreeze leaking out... The sales associate then reassured me that they topped it off with antifreeze as a courtesy to me. I explained to Bruce that I have had much work done to the car and had it looked over several times previous to me bringing it in and not one mechanic has ever told me i have had a leak.

While driving home from NTB, my car started over heating (which it has never done in the 4 years I have owneed it) After having a friend look under my hood, she said my radiator cap wasnt even on properly ... there was anti freeze all over my car.

Early this morning I called NTB in Danvers and asked to speak to the manager. I explained to him that I never authorized their mechanic to go under the hood and touch my radiator and explained how I couldnt drive my car because it kept over heating. After giving me a hard time about "Liability policies", the manager told me to come down and he would give me some antifreeze to fill my car up with and that would be fine.

While picking up the anti freeze from NTB, I also decidedto call the Area Director of NTB to alert him that his mechanic foolishly never put on the cap to my radiator and after speaking to the manager Al, he gave me such a hard time and wouldnt even apologize. The area director apologized several times and assured me that all i had to do was put antifreeze into my car and it would be fine.

I followed their instruction and put the antifreeze in my car... and after driving my car for a few minutes it started to over heat once more (again this has never happpened in the 4 years of owning the car) I made my way to a mechanic and had them look at my car.

The local Mechanic told me that due to the antifreeze cap not being on properly and it spilling all in my car.. the radiator was shot and my thermostat blew.. He told me it need to be replaced and i was not going to be able to drive it at all without ruining the motor of my car!!! I was furious.. I called back to AD of NTB and explained to him that because his mechanic touch my radiator, which i never asked or paid for, my radiator and thermostat were trash!!!

The AD started being very rude on the phone telling me he was not liable, and that it wasnt believable. I asked for his manager's number and i explained to him that I would go to my insurance and small claims court if i had to, but I was not going to pay for a problem that they created!

I spoke to the senior executive of NTb, I introduced myself and explained to him the situation and how both his AD and manager of NTB were throwing policy and procedures in my face, also how I never authorized them to touch my radiator and they only told me about it after they done the work.., . Mr. Balash promised to return my phone call . So far he has not.

Im paying in both time and money for a problem they created and all i get from NTB is "We're NOT Liable"

D  28th of Mar, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am completely neutral on this, so I will give my unbiased opinion.You never stated what year, make or model your car was.Was the cap left off the overflow or radiator? Also it is true you should not drive your car when it overheats.It can cause internal damage to the engine. Warped heads or blown head gaskets. In the ten years I have been working on vehicles I have NEVER heard of or came across the problem where it ruin the radiator, unless it had damage already. And certainly not where it would cause your thermostat to go bad. However it is recommended that you change your thermostat when you replace your radiator. I know this is a little over a year old post, but get a second opinion next time. Sounds like your mechanic wants a little extra money. Again I do not know the year, make, and model.Older cars, as in pre 1990, would be more prone to bad radiators if something like that would happen. Most places, even for oil changes, check all fluids as they say a courtesy. Really they look for things that need to be changed which increase their sales.

NTB / National Tire & Battery Logo NTB / National Tire & Battery