Norton Corporation / iyogi.net support full of fraud

1 350 Ellis StreetMt View CA 94043, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 650527800

I had a simple question to ask the customer support number listed by Norton [protected]. The call went to a tech guy located in India. My question was "I have upgraded my Norton Internet security to Norton internet security 360 premier version couple of days ago, this upgrade lets me to download the program to my 3 computers. of which now I would like to download the software on my laptop". The guy walked me to login to view my computer and download for me". I agreed and he played with my commuter for a few minutes and told me that I have a registery problem and he will need to fix that problem first which will cost $169.99 (to cover 1 year support) from IYogi.net. This is a fraud because I was sure there was no problem with any of my programs or soft ware downloaded on my laptop. I declined and logged in to my account on the laptop for Norton and clicked download Norton 360 P Ver-4, and it did the rest and completed the task gave a message that you have successfully downloaded the product and you are protected. While Norton on line services in the USA work wonders with such a great software and auto on line services, why have they hired a third rate fraudulent company for their live support.
I tried to contact the Norton office to complaint about iyogi.net incident since there is no way to send a written complaint to them directly. I called number [protected] and was on hold for about 45 minutes but no one responded and had no option but to hang up and place a complaint here.

Ss

Comments

• Iy
      21st of Jan, 2011

Dear SSu,

We apologise that you had such a bad experience with us. We take feedback very seriously and we contantly endeavor to improve our services.

Please can you specify the date of this incident, the full name you gave us and the approximate time you spoke with us. We would like to investigate this incident and provide feedback to the representative in question and keep you updated with the actions taken.

Regards
    iYogi

• Ss
      20th of Feb, 2011

I had a similar experience. I got this number when I googled norton customer service number. I called just to get the norton plan that I already purchased downloaded on my computer. The tech guy I spoke to gave me the impression that I was talking to a norton representative. They claimed that they couldn't download norton because my computer had a very bad virus. Then they offered to fix it for 169.99. I wiped my computer and called them back and they told me that the virus was still there because it was attached to my IP address. I don't know much about computers or virus's so I called the geek squad to help me. This is when I learned that abosolutely nothing was wrong with my computer. I found this out after wiping my computer of all the information I had and paying geek squad $125.oo . I am going to make sure that everyone knows this company cannot be trusted. I called On Tuesday Jan 25, 2011. I called three different times . 8:34p 9:18p and 11:29 p I am not sure if I spoke to the same person or three different people. I do not remember their names however based on the accents I know I spoke to indian men.

21st of Feb, 2011

I had the same bad experience on 2/20/2011. I called what I thought was norton Tech Support to have them reinstall the remaining 8 months of Norton on my new computer, since the old one has gone to laptop heaven and i couldn't access it.
    Reaching a "Charles Fernandes", who was obviously Indian, and giving me the distinct impression that he was a Tech Rep for Norton, took control of my computer (with my reluctant permission) and proceeded to inform me that my brand new laptop had a "Bug" and therefore Norton could not be reinstalled until the "Bug" was removed from my system. When I inquired as to how my brand new computer became infected, as it already had the complimentary edition of Norton installed, I was advised that NO current virus software was 100% secure, even Norton, and I had probably been infected by someone's E-Mail.
    I was informed that the only way to reinstall Norton was to have one of iYogi's "Technicians" take contol and remove all virus' and Bugs from the system. At this point, after my questioning, Charles admitted that he represented iYogi and "Yes" they did do the Tech work for Norton and several other companies.
    $169.99 and 20 minutes later at the nimble fingers of "Sagar Lokhande" my computer was now "Bug and Virus free" and my remaining months of Norton promptly reinstalled.
    I have sent an email to Norton inquiring about their use of iYogi, but as yet have not received ANY reply.
    mccuskekrjim@yahoo.com

22nd of Feb, 2011

This is part of the reply I received from Norton when I infomed them about iYogi and their less than straightforward answers as to if they represented Norton Tech Support...I definitely got "bushwacked" and will ask for a refund or will go ahead and cancel payment through credit card. Obviously, Norton is apparently doing nothing about iYogi themselves...

Dear James,
    Thank you for contacting Norton Support.

We will be happy to help you in installing Norton Internet Security program in your new computer. Also, we are sorry to hear that you have contacted iYogi regarding installation process and you have been forced to pay for their support.

We understand how difficult it might be, when you are not aware of installation procedure. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and we will be glad to help you with this.

Symantec is not affiliated with iYogi, their company or the services/support they offer. All Support services offered by Symantec for the Norton products (excluding NortonLive Services) are completely free of charge. Any charges occurred to your account due to services or support provided by iYogi are unrelated to Norton support. If you feel as though you have been charged incorrectly, please contact iYogi for a refund. Contact details can be found at www.iyogi.com

22nd of Feb, 2011

After a 40 minute (including one disconnect) phone call today to iYogi, I finally recieved assurances that my full amount ($169.99) would be refunded to my credit card account. During this time on the phone I talked with four different people at iYogi, was asked to explain my reason(s) for requesting a refund to each and every one of them and at one point was informed that I would be charged a $69.99 "Service Charge" for services previously performed. I finally explained to Customer Services that I had been extemely courteous throughout this entire marathon session and had attempted to accomplish this refund request through proper channels... but bottom line, either they coughed up the entire refund or I would simply call my Credit Card Co. and tell them to cancel payment.
    The entire process, though long and dragged out, was worth it in the end and was follwed up by a phone from iYogi with an apology for any misunderstanding that occurred. I also recieved the following e-mail...

Dear James,

We regret that your experience with iYogi Technical Services was less than satisfactory. Based on your request we have processed the refund for your subscription. This will reflect in your bank records/credit card statement within 7 business days, depending on your billing cycle. You will also receive a confirmation of this refund through our payment gateway shortly.

If you have any further questions, you may reach us at 1-800-237-3901. Alternatively, you can email us at feedback@iyogi.net. Please refer your Identification number 6111899666 in your communication.

Sincerely,

iYogi Technical Services

13th of Mar, 2011

Dear Customer,

You are right, it happens with most of the customers, but u are the lucky chap who did a good job, hope this complaint should be published whenever customer searches for iyogi in google search box.

With regards,
    John

9th of Apr, 2011

I had a similar experince. Thi iyogi rep was first acting like she works for norton. She said she could help me with the problem and has to take over the my pc. Once she did, she kept on going on how my computer is infected and also my registry has error. She asked me for a credit card and asked that this must be fixed before she can start to help me with norton. Also she kept on lying and stressing how it was important to fix this problem first before she starts to help me with my norton issue. This all sounded bs to me so i asked her again "i'm talking to norton tech support". And she said "yes we are part of norton tech support and hired by them to help the increasing number of customers incedents are ocuuring". So i said "wait a minute so this isn't norton tech itself but a third party?" and she said technically yes. I knew this was a scam to begin with as she asked for my credit card. I hung up. But i have a felling they installed some bloatware on my computer while she had full control of the computer. Also i'm scared as it's networked to like 12 other computers as this is a business.

Norton should take control of this situation. I mean how can they legally say they are hired by symantec and get away with it? I called norton tech support and was on the phone prob for about an hour and a half and finally hung up. Not buying norton again, will prob go with kaspersky next time. Norton just lost about 18 worth of pc business as i refuese to install their stuff even at home.

• Sh
      16th of Apr, 2011

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Now worried that they will hack my computer.

20th of Jul, 2011

I had an issue with a recent install of Norton 360 on my laptop, the backup utility wasn't functioning correctly. So I called the support number on the Norton website and a male voice answered the phone (yes, he was Indian) and I could hardly understand him through his accent over the phone, so I did not get his name. He said, which sounded like a promise, that he would help resolve my issue. He had me login to Iyogi, and then give him permission to take control of my PC remotely. He used the Iyogi PC scan, which showed that I had major issues. Now I'm a very careful PC user, always checking for updates to my software, cleaning my registry using Registry Mechanic, scanning for viruses and spyware/malware using my Norton 360, and backing up my drives. When he went into an area of my PC that I was unfamiliar with, he showed me thousands of errors and corrupt files and applications, and a Trojan virus to boot! I was floored! He proceeded to try to get me to pay $169.99 for a 1yr service agreement, and "his" technician would then help me get rid of all the crap, remove the virus, and reinstall Norton 360. Well, I got a funny feeling about it, so I decided to say, "no thanks" and concluded the call. I then uninstalled Norton 360 myself, ran Windows Defender, reinstalled an updated PC tools Spyware Doctor, and ran a complete scan and registry clean-up of my system. As I suspected, no major issues were found. I uninstalled Spyware Doctor, and reinstalled Norton 360, which now says everything is fine with my PC (after running its scans). I then did a complete backup using my Western Digital MyBook external HD and WD Smartware. My pc seems to be doing AOK! I am thinking that this Iyogi support thing is a fraud, and I'm going to stay away from it.

• Cl
      22nd of Jul, 2011

I ALSO STUMBLED UPON IYOGI, THRU A GOOGLE SITE LISTED AS PC TOOLS.. I THOUGHT I WAS GETTING THE TECH SUPPORT FOR PC TOOLS, FOR MY SPYWARE DOCTOR..
    THE YOUNG MAN WAS VERY NICE AND PATIENT.. BUT I WAS ALSO RELUCTANT TO LET HIM HAVE CONTROL OF MY COMPUTER.
    ONCE HE DID, HE DOWNLOADED 2 SCANNING SYSTEMS.. MALWARE/ANTI-MALWARE AND NOT SURE OF THE OTHER ONE, IT WAS INITIALS LIKE SCSBC ???
    HE ALSO SHOWED ME LOTS OF ERRORS, AND INFECTIONS; CLEANED THE DISK, DEFRAGGED THE DISKS. AND MY COMPUTER DOES RUN FASTER.. BUT IT STILL SCARES ME THAT THEY HAD TOTAL CONTROL OF MY COMPUTER.. HE ALSO HAD TO HANG UP AND CALL BACK 10 MINUTES LATER TO FINISH UP THE SCANNING.. DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT WAS ALL ABOUT.. WORRIES ME..
    HE ALSO MENTIONED THAT THERE WAS SOME REGISTRY PROBLEM CAUSING MY SPYWARE DOCTOR NOT TO RUN... AND HE TOLD ME WHAT IT WOULD COST IF THEIR SPECIALISTS WORKED ON FIXING THE REGISTRY.. BUT HE SAID NO PRESSURE.. I COULD COME BACK LATER AND GET THEIR SUBSCRIPTION IF I WANTED TO... I JUST HOPE THEY DIDN'T TAKE INFO OFF MY COMPUTER TO USE FRAUDENTLY... LIKE BANK ACCOUNTS, PASSWORDS..
    AND NOW THAT I'VE FINALLY FOUND A PHONE NUMBER FOR SPYWARE DOCTOR; I'VE FOUND OUT THAT SPYWARE DOCTOR SENT MY ACTIVATION LICENSING CODE WENT TO AN OLD E-MAIL ADDRESS BY MISTAKE.. IT WAS NEVER A PROBLEM WITH MY COMPUTER REGISTRY AFTER ALL... WONDERFULLLLLLLL ONE MORE THING TO WORRY ABOUT...

27th of Jul, 2011

I had a similar bad experience on July 26, 2011 when I called to get help with Norton 360. The Iyogi support tech took control of my computer and tried to convince me that there were registry problems on my PC and that I should pay them to "clean" my system. Although he was very insistent, I resisted and cancelled the session. I have now switched to McAfee.

• Ta
      18th of Sep, 2011

I had a similar experience as described in the rest of these comments concerning iyogi.net on Saturday, September 10, 2011 when I tried to contact Norton regarding a problem with my security system. Like many of the other comments the man was from India that represented he was working for Norton but when he took control of my computer I went to the iyogi.net site. When I asked him about that site he said I should cancel out of that site and he would try again after we did this several times he explained that he was a consultant for both iyogi and Norton and I was just probably seeing the wrong screen. After nearly an hour searching my computer he told me he could do nothing for me because my computer was so corrupted; however, for $169.99 he could help me through iyogi for a year to make certain that this did not happen to my computer again. I didn't take the "deal." I have no idea how to get in touch with Norton to actually determine why their security system has not been effective (I too have the 360 All-in-One Security System). Does anyone know how to contact Norton? I tried to email Norton but had no success because the reply was electronically generated and I could not respond to it. I am afraid to call or go on line again where someone will say they can not help me unless they take control of my computer. I have had Norton security for years but this is an absolute scam. I have no idea why they would become involved in something this disgusting that totally ruins their reputation. I agree that McAfee looks like the direction to go even though I have over 100 days left on Norton contract.

27th of Sep, 2011

Same scam was attempted with me about 3 hours ago. I have a BRAND NEW Lenovo laptop (60 days old). I had purchased a new 2-year subscription to Norton 360 Premier ($125) and could not get it installed and registered. Found the number on Google search - Iyogi remotely fiddled around and downloaded some "pc scan" fake program that showed I had over 5, 000 problems with my NEW computer that they could fix for $169.99/year, and if I didn't let him fix it my computer would just shut down and I may as well throw it away. WHAT A CROCK OF S__T! I told the guy to stick his fakey program up is butt and hung up...then immediately called the geek squad and a cool young guy told me that all I had to do was uninstall the old version of NIS and then I would be able to correctly install the new version. Within 5 minutes I had my computer updated and scanned. Then I did the same thing to my other 2 computers. I have used Norton products for over 10 years but I am seriously considering a different program - this kind of "support" is not the way a professional company does business.

• Ka
      31st of Oct, 2011

iyogi is the phone number listed on Norton Security as their tech support. I just wanted to know why my identity safe didn't work once I upgraded my Mozilla Firefox. After paying the 169.99 to have it "repaired" for what they said was multiple issues, my computer was so messed up, I lost everything I had on my computer, even my Norton Security software! After 6 hours on the phone with 3 different "techs" I had to yell at them to get the [censored] my computer. They ruined my laptop. I went to Staples where I bought it and they did the best they could, but my computer no longer runs correctly and I have to buy a new one. I am going to write a letter to Norton and to iYogi and if I am not compensated for my computer, I am going to take them to court, both Norton and iYogi. FRAUD FRAUD SCAM SCAM

• Ol
      7th of Nov, 2011

SAME SCAM WAS TRIED ON ME. I BOUGHT A NET LAPTOP ON 10/19/11. ALL WORKED WELL. THE 60 DAY TRIAL PERIOD FOR NORTON EXPIRED SO I BOUGHT THE $49.99 NORTON INTERNET SECURITY WHICH CAME WITH 3 LICENSES. IN MY INFINITE WISDOM I DECIDED TO INSTALL IT IN BOTH MY NEW LAPTOP & OLD DESKTOP. NOW MY PROBLEMS BEGAN, PRIMARILY THEY RAN LIKE THEY WERE SWIMMING IN QUICKSAND. INTERNET REVEALED NORTON SUPPORT WAS IYOGI WITH A TOLL FREE NUMBER 1-877-382-1586.
    I CALLED ON ABOUT 10/31 & TRIED TO SPEAK TO A WOMAN WHOM I COULD BARELY UNDERSTAND, I REPEATEDLY ASKED HER TO TRANSFER ME TO SOMEONE IN THE U.S.A. ALL TO NO AVAIL. AFTER 45 MINUTES OF FRUSTRATION SHE SAID I NEEDED A TECHNICIAN & THAT WAS NOT A FREE SERVICE. I SAID GOODBYE & HUNG UP.
    I CALLED AGAIN ON 11/1 & SPOKE TO A FELLOW NAMED DHUVR FOR ABOUT ONE HOUR &15 MINUTES WHILE THEY DID THEIR SEARCH OF THE PROBLEMS ON BOTH COMPUTERS. NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAVE PROBLEMS. THEY WANTED $299.99 TO FIX 1 COMPUTER WITH A 2 YEAR GUARRANTY. I TOLD HIM I COULD BUY A NEW COMPUTER FOR THAT KIND OF MONEY. HE THEN SAID HE COULD FIX IT FOR $169.99 & $130.00 FOR THE LAPTOP WITH 1 YEAR GUARRANTY. I REMINDED HIM THAT MY PROBLEMS ONLY BEGAN AFTER I INSTALLED NORTON SOFTWARE. THAT WAS THE PRICE TO FIX IT, SO I HUNG UP. THE REAL PISSER IS I HAD A FRIEND FIX IT FOR ME FOR $20.00. NOTE VISA DOES NOT CANCEL PAYMENT FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN $50.00 {I PAID $49.99)
    NORTON IS DEFINITLY ON MY ### LIST.

• Le
      10th of Nov, 2011

Hi People, take your time to read through this, Iyogi is a third party independent Technical service provider, this means that they do not have contracts with any OEM's (original equipment manufacturers) and ISV's (Independent software vendors) like A / V providers symantec, etc. They are a genuine company but their name spoiled because of Idiotic technical support engineers, ok so it works like this, Iyogi gets its revenue from providing technical support services this means that they need more subscribers to their annual plans and stuff like that. the engineers are given targets to do sale on calls that they get from callers who are not subscribers with Iyogi, These one of a kind [censored] "Tech support engineers" would naturally try to sell the subscription but these engineers are not technically trained to the core kinda people, they get trained only on the basics that would be enough to make a sale. But their true Technical expertise and core engineers would be made available only if the caller is subscribed with Iyogi, how ever Its clear that these so called tech support engineers who push for sale by [censored]!ng saying that the computer is scrwed up and pitch for sale for 166.99, are being weeded out through some kind of quality compliance measures, but Iyogi needs to do something much more than that to stay in the business, like not concentrating on revenue alone but also to provide proper training and ensure that honesty is followed by the sales agents when pitching for sale rather than showing up errors for something completely different than the one the customer is calling for. And ensure that best technical support is provided by best technical support engineers like geeksquad.
    By the way how did you land up calling norton? simple you guys do not look at the numbers and the wordings when you do a search, I would actually say that you are at fault. Iyogi uses a technique called SEO, Search engine Optimization, what happens is that when you try searching for something in google you would actually get something else, because companies like Iyogi pays google to list their website and their phone number much ahead of the actuall company that you are looking for, So kindly look closely before you guys call any number. Best bet go to Symantec website and get our technical support number and then call.
    No, I don't work for Iyogi but technical researcher working on behalf of Symantec.
    If you have complaints regarding Iyogi do not try talking to your provider or A V vendor and complaint against iyogi rather send your complaints to feedback@iyogi.net. --leuneg Herkoshi

• Ol
      27th of Feb, 2012

My names were different but sounds like the same scam. I Googled Norton and ended up with phone number. 855-293-3819. I also ran into an Indian tech making out like my pc was infected and only he could solve. When I said nothing beyond the Norton product he dropped off the line pronto. They called themselves Pccare247. Sounded like a scam if I ever heard one.

• Jd
      25th of Apr, 2012

Stay off of iYogi. It's a total scam. I just renewed my Norton 360 and for some reason it wouldn't install properly. I googled it and got this number on the top, so I called the number and was answered by a Tech support person, I asked him if this is Norton Support and he said yes and told me I got the correct number. I explained him my problem with installation, he wanted to remote login to my computer to check few things, I let him under close watch, he then started complaining about some registry issues and ran wanted to run some scan and it picked up a ton of errors (No way my pc is that bad). I realized that very moment that its a scam to sell their services. He then offered me to fix the issues for $100 I politely said no, I don't need it, I can do it myself and hung up. Then, I did a registry clean up by downloading a free s/w from cnet, just to be sure, restarted the PC, uninstalled Norton and re-installed it and it worked! Norton should address this issue.

• Nu
      22nd of Oct, 2012

I think iYogi is misleading customers by saying they are authorized representatives of multiple companies. I had an issue with my DVD player of Lenovo. My wife thought she is talking with Lenovo. They misrepresent themselves as they are Lenovo contracted them for all support. Then they installed some software to my laptop that started backing up my hard disk. I could not even uninstall the software, as it says, I need internet connection for that. God knows what they are doing with that software they are installing. Now I have to reimage my computer to avoid any theft of senstive files on my laptop. They should be sued for using big company names the way they are.

• Co
      15th of Jul, 2016

ONLINE NORTON TECHNICAL SUPPORT CALL TOLL FREE 1-844-270-0405
    We Help For Norton Products
    Call Toll Free 1-844-270-0405 For Instant Help.