Northland Group Inc. / Phony bill!

United States Review updated:
I received a "bill" from Northland Group Inc. trying to collect on what I thought was a credit card I had from 19 years ago. When I first received this bill two years ago (it mysteriously showed on my credit report AFTER I purchased my first home). I contacted all three credit bureaus and they all responded back by saying that the matter had been cleared. I checked them later and it was gone. Now, 2 years later, I get a bill stating to the effect that "in view of the tax season, our client is willing to reduce your balance by offering you a settlement." I contacted them by email and phone, and no one could tell me the name of the store and when the account was opened. It seems as if these "offers of settlements" come around tax time.
Li

Comments

Li
  10th of Mar, 2008
They are trying to do the same with me. I had already
paid/settled this bill 15 years ago.
I want them to pay for their harrassment
Jo
  31st of Jul, 2008
NORTHLAND GROUP SENT US A BILL FOR AN ACCOUNT THAT HAS BEEN PAID OFF FOR MONTHS...THEY ARE EITHER FRADULANT DEBT COLLECTORS OR JUST REALLY STUPID!!! IF YOU RECEIVE A BILL FROM THEM, INVESTAGATE THOURGHLY BEFORE YOU PAY IT.
Do
  10th of Aug, 2009
Verify if the debt they're trying to collect is past the statute of limitations for your state. Once the debt has passed that time period it is no longer collectable, but some of these shysters are attempting to resurrect old debts for pennies on the dollar and make you a settlement offer. For example in Texas it's four years. Send them a certified letter demanding that they cease collection attempts on a debt that is past the statute of limitations for your state. Do not pay them anything.

Northland Group Logo Northland Group