Northland Fire / Ansul R-102 Fire Extinguisher System / Go elsewhere

1 Edina, MN, United States Review updated:

In January of 2007, I had an Ansul system installed in the kitchen of my bar/restaurant by Northland Fire. My old dry chemical system was outdated and I was told it might not put out a fire. They never told me about the requirement about the electrical portion (exhaust, makeup-air shutdown, etc) when the system installer finished putting in the new system, he told me it was good.

Shortly after they put it in, another technician from Northland comes out to "service the system" and he red tagged it!!! He said I still needed to have the electrical hooked up. I thought that was included in the install!! So I had to spend the extra money to have that done. I already paid $3200! When I talked to the owner of Northland, the guy had the nerve to yell at me on the phone and he even swore at me!!

Another company approached me a few months later, I know the guy because he used to work for Northland and he was always fair, friendly, kept me informed and up to date on what I needed, and treated me well. I decided to use this guy for my next service, because I was unhappy with Northland. After the first time I had the new guy service my system, Northland came in and told me the guy wasn't licensed, he wasn't insured (which he showed me was false, he IS insured and the State of MN. doesn't REQUIRE a license!) They also told me I had to have my system re-serviced because this guy was not qualified. WHAT??? He used to work for Northland, but now he isn't qualified to work on Ansul?? Northland even gave me a number to call, where a guy told me that No, he isn't certified.

This technician from Northland, who I had never seen before also really badmouthed the guy from the new company I used, his new business, and even told me that the guy was a ###!! I also found out from a few other restaurant owners that they were hearing the same things!

If this is the way that Northland Fire chooses to do business, then I would highly recommend if you need an Ansul system, or need it serviced, that you go elsewhere. This practice of badmouthing your competition, rather than improving on your own service and treatment of your customers sucks! Northland seems to think they "own" all of their customers, and can say and do whatever they feel. If the owner of the other company really is a "###" as I was told, so what?!?! At least he seems to care more about the customer and their needs!

Va

Comments

6th of Feb, 2008

I completely agree. Go elsewhere. Call Nardini. JN Johnson. Fairmont. Simplex. The "license" that the guy was talking about is referring to an Ansul license (from the Ansul Co.). It is just a certification from Ansul, the mfg. of the fire system, so that if any person or business owner has another "un-licensed person" service the Ansul system that Ansul will not be held responsible for any defects or problems with the system should a fire occur and significant damage is incurred because the Ansul system did not function properly. In actuality, Northland will not make sure that any system that they service is free from defects because so many crucial system components are skipped at every 6 month service. No alarms are tripped. Gas valves are not chekced to make sure gas shuts off. Nozzles are not always checked. Caps not always replaced. Etc., etc., etc. Why? Because Northland is not in the business of making, servicing, and insuring a working fire system. No. Northland is in the business of making money. The important pieces of the system are skipped because they are time consuming. Time is money. And the more and more systems that Northland can have their technicians crank out in one day means more money for the company. They don't care about you or the system. They care about money. No matter what happens or who services your system, Northland has the blame game worked down to a science so that if the system does not extinguish a fire, THEY WILL NEVER PAY, REPAY, OR BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE! The sad truth that goes with this is that Ansul will back them to insure that they will not be held accountable. Northland is a money making machine. They charge top dollar for parts that they don't pay for. They charge anywhere from 100-500% mark-ups. You never get what you pay for. You will be treated like crap. Customer service is terrible. Employee treatment is terrible. None of the employees like their job (only because of the mgmt and owners). Northland makes their employees work on McDonald's type wages and deducts wages illegally on a whim. They have no set schedules (do you want some guy to do some highly technical job after working a 14 hour day the day before and having to get up a 3 am after being told where to go just the night before at 7pm?). They fire people like the wind changes. Morale is non-existent. Training is lackluster and lazy at best. Employees are trained to do just enough work to make Northland a ton of money in a day, and then treated like the ### of the earth before they are inevitably dismissed. Do you really want some underpaid, pissed off, undertrained, angry, disgruntled technician servicing your expensive fire system? I don't. The management at Northland is run by a group of husband-wife, friend of the family yokels who do what they want, when they want. They are used to getting their way and that is that. If you think that just being yelled and sweared at on the phone is bad (being a customer), then you should multiply that by your own social security number and you can then imagine what it is like for the employees. They are all racist (only one non-white male works for the company, yet I've heard that many minorities have applied and been denied whether qualified or not). Sexist (no women are allowed to work in the field-women have applied and tried, but Northland takes the "men only" stance). And the word "###" gets used liberally by the owners and managers because they feel they were "infiltrated" by the former technician you speak of (he happened to be gay and they despised it).
    Take my advice-GO ELSEWHERE!! Avoid Northland Fire and Security.

A very good friend of mine was mistreated and abused by this company, and ultimately fired. How else would I know so much!

• Gr
      12th of Aug, 2008

As a former employee of Northland, I agree 110% that the owners and managers treat the employees like crap! If I owned a restaurant, I wouldn't want the servicing my fire equipment!

10th of Oct, 2008

What about the fire that burned down the McDonalds in Big Lake, MN. a few years back? I used to work there and I heard that Northland screwed up and that was why the Ansul system didn't operate when we had a fire in the deep fat fryer. Something about a gasket or o-ring or something that didn't get put in? Good thing nobody was hurt or killed when that happened. After knowing about that, and reading the above comments, NO WAY would I trust Northland Fire to service anything!

• Pa
      12th of Oct, 2008

Hi.
    I WORK WITHIN THE FIRE INDUSTRY, AND AS MY COMPANY IS LACKING ON JOBS FORMYSELF. ONE NIGHT I DECIDED TO LEND A HAND FOR, SOME KNOWLEDGE AND DOUBLE TIME PAY ON ANSUL SYSTEMS, WITH ANOTHER TRAINED EMPLOYEE.WHAT A NIGHTMARE DIRTY JOB TO DO., MY MANAGERESS EXPECTS ME TO START DOING EXTRA WORK( UNQUALIFIED) AND TO START SERVICING ON MORNING/ NIGHT SHIFTS.I TOLD HER THAT IM NOT INTERESTED IN ANSUL AND THAT WAS THAT.I THINK SOME COMPANIES ALSO JUST IN FOR THE MONEY, REGARDLESS OF LOOKING AFTER EMPLOYEES LEAVING THEM TO FEEL NIGLECTED. I WOULD AND WILL BE USING MY BRAIN NEXT TIME IM ASKED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!! PJ

6th of Feb, 2009

They treat their employees terribly, the turnover speaks for itself.

• Et
      18th of Feb, 2009

I work for a company in the Brainerd Lakes area and our extinguishers were due for their anual service this February. The tech from Northland showed up unannonced on the 5th to service our extinguishers and I told him that no work would be done without me seeing a quote first. Someone from the Brainerd office faxed me a quote in a timely manner, which ended up being just about twice as expensive as their local competition (Nardini). Needless to say, they lost our business. Now normally, this would be the end of it, but no, the individual that manages the Brainerd office was waiting for me the following morning to discuss why we had switched. He proceeded to browbeat me and pulled out a Nardini invoice from the Minneapolis area, all the while bad mouthing Nardini and their pricing. Mind you, I was only shown the first page of the invoice which is the list price. I was not shown the second page where the discounts where factored in. In any case, I told him that we had done significantly better on pricing, which was true. I was then told that if we were that hard up for cash, he would be willing to lose money for two or three years in order to keep our business. At this point, I was thinking, "Buddy, you just don't get it" and I was realizing that this conversation was not going to go anywhere, as I do not want any of our vendors to lose money. I want them to year in and year out charge us a fair price for services rendered. I also want the to understand that I will solicit competitive quotes from time to time. He was caught at not being competitive, but rather than asking for another chance at our business next year, as any sane sales rep would, he would rather try to strong arm and intimidate me and belittle his competition. To be honest, this was all a bit amusing, as I have been involved in this sort of vendor management for the last couple of years and have never seen a vendor react in such a backwards way to losing business. In any case, it was amusing until today. Today, February 18th, I found out that after I told them that they had lost the business, which was on the 5th, they still sent out one of their techs to one of our other facilities, unannounced of course, and the plant manager not knowing any better let them in to service the extinguishers there. This is simply playing dirty pool and will not be tolerated. So my advice to you is this: avoid this company. Avoid them like the plauge that they are.

• Bi
      20th of Feb, 2009

Northland Fire & Security Inc. is probably the WORST company that you could possibly use to service your fire equipment. Call Nardini, Minnesota Conway, J.N. Johnson or even some of the smaller outfits. The management at Northland treats their employees like crap, and always have. They have the highest turnover rate of ANY fire equipment company in the Twin Cities metro area. In fact, it is so bad, that the employees at the time got so fed up with thier treatment, they contacted a union earlier last year to start the process to become a union shop. The union was voted in during June of 2008 and a contract was presented to the owners; husband and wife team Steve and Yesmine Benz, who refused any negotiations, contracts, etc. They even fired or tried to fire employees who supported the union. A complaint was filed with the National Labor Relations Board by the union, claiming unfair labor practices. Around the end of October, 2008 the employees of Northland Fire went out on strike against the company. Their service technicians are disgruntled, pissed off, take a lot of shortcuts servicing Ansul systems, that I wouldn't trust any system to function properly if Northland F&S serviced it. The owners, Steve and Yesmine fight regularly in the office, in the presence of the employees (and the occasional customer who walks in). Steve cusses out customers on the phone, and so does (or did) the "little-man syndrome", Brian when he WAS service manager.
    Their only comeback when they lose an account is to badmouth the competitor, claim they have no insurance, no license, that they aren't trained, qualified or certified. They can't, or won't compete solely on prices or quality of service (because there IS NONE!) The other branches of Northland are just as bad: Northland Fire Protection, Northland Fire and Safety. They are all run by the same family yokels, relatives of Steve Benz. Like the previous posters all said, you'd be best to avoid this company.

12th of Jun, 2009

I work in the Fire Extinguisher Industry and have dealings and interactions with numerous customers, both existing and potential new customers. What I can say is Northland is completely unaware of the level of customer dissatisfaction they have out there. But they don't seem to care about it either. They do seem to have the highest turnover of any other company in the Twin Cities, with technicians either quitting or getting fired all the time. When you look at the other companies, they seem to keep the same technicians on for several years! Which is good for the customer because it gives the technicians and customers the possibility to establish continuity. I can't say that I know what goes on at Northland, but comments from customers in the field tell a big story about the problems over there.

10th of Mar, 2010

To provide complete satisfaction and meet customers’ every demand, we are continuously rising to better and top class service in the area. We are distributor of Amerex Fire Extinguishers and Protex II restaurant systems. We are certified installers for Ansul and Phirana systems from Ansul Corporation. Any fire system we install we can also, at the customer’s request, have it legalized and also have the system written off.
    With the help of our expert, certified and experienced technicians and staff, we are committed to deliver best possible service to every job-be it a high rise building in big city or stand alone construction. We continue to expand and are now offering Sprinkler maintenance, Fire Alarm testing. Rex Fire develops working relationships with their customers. One call does it all for the service and testing of all your protection needs. To know more, just visit our website http://www.rexfireinc.com

• Co
      24th of Mar, 2010

I love this report of Complaints. It makes a Small Business Owner so happy when these large companies, yell at there customers! If you want a "Fire guy" that actually cares about his customers call Korsmo Fire out of Eden Valley, MN

• Nf
      27th of Jul, 2010

As a former & current employee of Northland I am just glad to have a job, I am sure some of the other comments listed are from other companies employees and x employees that have a beef with Northland. At Northland we just don't meet the the standards we set the standards. And we tell it like it is, this includes following state fire codes and standards, with trained and certified empoyees. SO IF YOU CAN'T COOK WITH THE BIG BOYS GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN.

2nd of Aug, 2010

As someone who worked “in the trenches” with NFS, I feel it’s time for me to weigh in: The first year-plus that I worked for NFS, I can honestly say that I enjoyed it. I was thoroughly satisfied with the job. There were a number of ideas that I brought to the company to not only make our jobs easier, but to increase income/profits for the company and put more $ in our pockets as well. I personally introduced a method for changing links that was faster and easier than the method they were currently using at the time. I also brought up the idea of replacing the “extended wand” type k-class fire extinguishers with new units based on NFPA-10 referring to the hazards of using the wand improperly could cause a “thermodynamic explosion” and as everyone in the fire equipment industry knows, if there is a way for someone to use a fire extinguisher improperly, they will!! This enabled us to sell many more K-class fire extinguishers (thus increasing NFS’s profits!) Prior to my arrival at NFS, Ansul R-102 system nozzles were being checked for clogging by inserting a pin or wire into the orifice, at least that’s how I was initially trained. I was discovering duct nozzles (especially broiler systems at Burger Kings) that had clearly not been checked in a long time. By checking the nozzles more closely, we were able to replace more nozzles (also increasing NFS’s profits!) I also suggested we start replacing the red tanks with new, stainless steel tanks when systems were hydrotested, which would also minimize liability and also increase NFS’s profits among other things. As I said, the first year plus I worked for them was great! We had quarterly sales goals to meet and we all met/exceeded those goals and received bonuses for doing so. I was constantly researching codes and other things to try to make things better and more profitable. My goal was to help make NFS the “premier” fire protection company! With the goal in the back of my mind to someday hopefully become the service manager. The one and only review I ever received from NFS was rave! I could not have received a better one. I was given a good raise, and things were good!
    Then, things changed.
    Maybe 2 weeks later, the owners claimed the company was having some financial “difficulties” and there was going to have to be some belt tightening. All of us technicians at the time felt that if we needed to help out, we had no problem with it. So commissions were cut, the bonuses stopped (but we still had the sales goals to meet), we were told to try to take shorter lunch breaks by grabbing lunch on the way to the next service. Our hours were now limited to no more than 45 hours a week. For many of us, the cuts in our pay had negative effects. But we were trying to weather the storm. Then, a couple months later, we all noticed the wife half of the ownership team shows up with a brand-new BMW X5 SUV. We all found it to be a bit odd, but let it go. Then, not too much later, the husband half of the ownership team shows up with a new GMC Yukon Denali. Now we were really starting to wonder! We technicians had to cut way back. I got rid of a truck that I really liked for monthly payments $150 less than I was paying. Another tech had to get rid of one of the cars he and his wife had to try to make ends meet. Yet for some of us, it still wasn’t enough. Then the owners bought a very expensive, much larger home that summer. That was enough to know we had been lied to. So all the technicians met off-site one afternoon to discuss our grievances and concerns and foment a plan for discussing it to the owners. We were met with comments by the owner: “I’m so sick of hearing you guys [censor] about money, I’m ready to fire every f’n one of you and start over!” as well as: “If you don’t like it, you can f’ing leave!” So in order to try to make ends meet, we all started to cut corners on servicing systems so we could finish faster and get out the door to the next customer allowing us to make more money. A lot of things were now being overlooked. Nozzles weren’t being checked (but we were replacing some anyway, whatever we felt we could get away with), cartridges weren’t getting weighed, and chemical in the tanks wasn’t getting checked as often, o-rings weren’t being replaced, yet we were still charging the customer for them. Red tanks were replaced sometimes with the new stainless steel tanks even when there were no problems. After all, it wasn’t us technicians who would ultimately be liable if something went wrong! The owners were never going to listen to us technicians, so we did what we could to try to make up the difference. We just didn’t care anymore. It was more about making whatever we could rather than providing the service that the customers had a right to. Was it wrong? Yes it was! But we had our own bills to pay, and we determined that ownership/management was not going to listen to us pee-ons. I myself am anti-Union, but mentioned a number of times that this was one case where a Union could help. As it turned out, the guys who stayed behind after I left did in fact attempt to bring a Union in at NFS, but the owners fought that tooth and nail. They “fired” guys who voted for it, or found other ways to get rid of them, and the Union was then de-certified a year or so after it was initially voted in.
    Myself, I finally grew so frustrated at NFS that I took an opportunity for another job, so I left NFS. It was amazing how things went from having a job I really enjoyed and supervisors/owners I respected to a job and supervisor/owners I really grew to despise. We became nothing more than money generating machines to them! “Mind-numbed robots” I used to say. It seemed they genuinely cared for their employees, but when I left, I felt as though they didn’t give a damn about any one of us.
    Now, whenever someone calls NFS to get an employment reference on me, according to them, I am probably one of the worst employees they’ve ever had! Never mind the fact that I was told personally by the husband owner that I was very thorough at my job, I had a ton of knowledge and experience, and was an asset to the company! And never mind the fact the one and only review I received was great! NFS is just pissed that I started my own company and have taken some of their customers. But the best way for NFS to get me out of their hair (and to stop me from taking their customers with my company) is to give me the good reference that I am entitled to! So maybe then I can walk away from this industry altogether and get a job in a field I have been seeking so that I can leave Minnesota for good! Which is really what I would like to do! But if not, I’ll close my shop and my company when and if I choose to and am just tired of it, and not when NFS decides for me. So. . .how about it Steve? Care to reply?

• Ha
      3rd of Aug, 2010

Well if you've read all of these complaints above it's not hard to figure out that these are ex-employees who have hatred for NFS. Every company out there has employees like these. You can never make anyone happy no matter how the company has policy set in place. The great thing about America is you don't have to stay at a job you don't like...QUIT and move on. Why complain about your bad fortune that YOU could have probably fixed yourself by doing your job and stop complaining!! The guy above stated he use to work here OK so what now you don't so move on. This is the problem you get these types of employees who think everyone/owners owes them everything. Well you don't know what goes on behind the closed doors, The late and long hours that get put in when you own your own company. 80-100 hours a week staying late at night to make sure everything gets done so everyone gets a pay check. Which is ultimately the main goal for everyone working is get paid. Quit complaining, bad mouthing and move on in life. Life is to short to act like this!!!

4th of Aug, 2010

Fireguy Minn - It is clear that you have nothing better to do than to complain about a former company that you worked for, and were subsequently fired from, for lying, cheating, and stealing. Is this how you treat every other job you were at? It didn't work out for you, so you complain about them, on a website for complainers? If you truly have started your own company, and it is doing well(as you claim), then shouldn't you be worrying about your customers, rather than complaining about the past, and what didn't work out? I really hope your current "customers" do meet the real you eventually, that will just mean more business for NFS, and other upstanding companies like them.

• Bi
      5th of Aug, 2010

If, as you claim that FireguyMinn was "Fired" for lying, cheating and stealing, I sure hope you got something to back up that claim. To come on here and accuse someone of theft or other perceived criminal activities borders on defamation and slander. Everything I've read in the above posts about Northland Fire & Security is absolutely true! Perhaps the company has changed, but I highly doubt it. A tiger doesn't change it's stripes. I know many people if the fire equipment field and I've heard many horror stories about the treatment of current and former Northland employees and have heard about and seen more than my fair share of shoddy work. If you work for Northland Fire & Security as it appears to be the case, check back to this exact same page in maybe a year or 2 and see if you still feel the same way!
    There's a reason why just about every other company in the Twin Cities somehow manages to keep the same technicians on for several years (some for 20+ years and longer) and Northland Fire & Security can't seem to keep anyone for more than a few years. Coincidence? It's because Northland treats their employees like [censor] and until they start treating them right, Northland Fire will remain a "second-rate" company. Let me ask you this: Have you ever worked for another fire equipment company? No? Then you don't have the experience of having worked for a "Good" company! Once you've had the chance of having worked for someone else, you'll see the grass is MUCH greener on the other side. You just don't realize it.

5th of Aug, 2010

"Bill T/FireGuy Minn/Robert/Fireguide/Terry/Gregg/Anonymous Person/Jordan" -Stop hiding behind all these different names, we both know who you are. And Fireguy Minn was fired for lying, stealing and cheating the company, and there is substantial proof. I know, the truth hurts, that's probably why you are on here, complaining, on a website designed for people like you, who no one will listen to. I am sorry that your misleadings were discovered, and susequently acted upon, by NFS. If it were me, and I was caught red-handed, cheating, stealing and lying to a company, that you claim "gave you a great review, " and I can only assume from that "great review" treated you very well, then I would leave well enough alone. But clearly, as I said before, you have nothing better to do, and you are very clearly jealous of what NFS has done, and built over the many decades of fantastic service they have provided to the community. Every company has bad seeds, and they get dealt with accordingly, as you well know. And I hope you don't service your "customers" like you stated you did when you worked for NFS, you said, and I quote "A lot of things were now being overlooked. Nozzles weren’t being checked (but we were replacing some anyway, whatever we felt we could get away with), cartridges weren’t getting weighed, and chemical in the tanks wasn’t getting checked as often, o-rings weren’t being replaced, yet we were still charging the customer for them. Red tanks were replaced sometimes with the new stainless steel tanks even when there were no problems." That sounds like top-notch "old-fashioned" service to me. And you wonder why Fireguy Minn was fired. As I said before, I hope your "customers" meet the real you. That will just mean more business for all the companies who don't provide half-assed service like that of which you provided when you were a "great" employee at NFS.
    I don't need to work for another company in the industry, a great company can strive in any industry. I only need to know what a great company is when I see it; owners that care about their employees, and their customers, and care about providing the best service; and having all the correct licenses, certification, and insurance, to ALL their customers, no matter what the industry is.

5th of Aug, 2010

For your information "FireCo Minn", I am not the same person as "Bill" or any of the others as you seem to think I am. I have no idea who any of the other posters are on this website/forum. As hard as that may be for your pea-sized brain to comprehend, there may just be others out there who are disatisfied with NFS's service and/or treatment of their customers or employees. I found out about the existance of this website several months ago when I ran into the owner of another small company (who also did some install work years ago for NFS) that I also run into sometimes at a company in St. Paul that I get some of my supplies from. He told me to Google for it. He told me there's a "whole web-page" of stuff about NFS. So don't go putting words in my mouth alleging that I am the sole poster to this forum! I tried to contact the original poster and the second poster several months ago to find out who they are, but received no reply. FYI: I don't badmouth NFS to any of my customers, unless they ask me something about NFS. Otherwise, I don't talk about them. I have better things to do with my time than to post incessant crap about this company or that company. I wish I could say the same thing about NFS! I get reports from customers all the time that NFS technicians tell customers or potential customers: (1. That I am not licensed. (2. That I am not insured (3. That I am not certified (4. That I am not qualified (5. That I use non-certified parts in systems etc. etc. All of those things are untrue!
    I AM licensed, and have been since early 2007. I AM insured, since the same time of my licensing. I AM Certified (more so than you probably) I am ICC (International Code Council) Certified (you can go to the iccsafe.org website to verify and do a search for ICC certified code professionals) I challenge you to take the same tests, but I doubt you'd pass though) I've been doing this type of work for over 15 years. I recognize some of the names that are listed on the ICC website, and there are certified guys from at least 2 of the larger companies in the Twin Cities area. The Certification requirement will eventually be adopted by the State of Minnesota, and just having Ansul Certification does not qualify you, sorry to say! Everyone will need to be certified through an accreditied agency (as I am!) And I attended the Ansul school for the 2nd time in March of 2008, I am also IFSAC Fire Inspector I & II Certified. You're welcome to visit my website for the full list of my certifications! (I'm sure you already have though). And ALL the parts I use are brand-new manufactured by Ansul or whoever the manufacturer of the system is that I am working on.
    So all NFS can really say to customers about me and to be truthful about it is that I am NOT an Ansul distributor. Thats it! Unfortunately, they don't stop there. I have several customers that have told me that some tech from NFS "was badmouthing you bigtime!" One even said to me that the technician "slandered the [censor] out of you!" To be quite frank, this [censor] needs to stop! Compete against me on price, quality of service, or package deals, or whatever service options you have to offer, but stop going in telling lies!! It doesn't serve me and it doesn't make you guys look any better either.
    This is only the second time I posted to this thread (that I wish didn't even exist) But keep in mind: I just discovered that the more you post, the more I post, and the more anyone else posts, it raises the poularity of this board and moves it higher to the top of the list and gains more exposure! So if people just shut up and stop posting here, eventually it will move back down and be harder to find.

6th of Aug, 2010

"Bill T/FireGuy Minn/Robert/Fireguide/Terry/Gregg/Anonymous Person/Jordan" - Just because you hold some State certification deeming you "certified" to service fire suppression systems, does in fact NOT make you CERTIFIED to service Ansul systems. You may very well have passed an Ansul course, but seeing as you are not an Ansul distributor, any and all service work you do on any Ansul system is null and void. As you well know (or should know if you truly did pass an Ansul course) it states in the back of the Ansul owner's manual and I quote "Do not allow anyone except an authorized Ansul distributor to perform maintenance on your Ansul system." Ansul will not back you up, and neither will the insurance companies for all your unfortunate customers. You can stand behind all the certifications you want to, but the Ansul one is the one that matters, you and I both know that. And seeing as how you are not an Ansul distributor, you are therefore not LICENSED to service those systems either. And since you are not an Ansul distributor, you are not insured to service Ansul systems, as Ansul requires a multi-million dollar insurance policy.
    So as far as being able to compete with you on price, we can't, you don't have to carry all the necessary licenses, certifications, and insurance required to correctly service your customers Ansul systems. And as you said before again I quote "A lot of things were now being overlooked. Nozzles weren’t being checked (but we were replacing some anyway, whatever we felt we could get away with), cartridges weren’t getting weighed, and chemical in the tanks wasn’t getting checked as often, o-rings weren’t being replaced, yet we were still charging the customer for them. Red tanks were replaced sometimes with the new stainless steel tanks even when there were no problems." If that is how you serviced systems when you worked for a licensed, certified, and properly insured company, I only wonder, and am a little concerned for your customers, how you service Ansul systems now; without the proper certifications, licenses, and insurance. Again, that sounds like good "old-fashioned serivice" WITHOUT todays technology. That is not hard service to contend with. I'm not worried there.
    And the more you post, the more I post, and the more your other identities post, just shows how disgruntled you are about being fired from NFS for lying, cheating, and stealing. It doesn't look good for Fire-X customers. I wouldn't want someone with this kind of anger and attitude "servicing" my fire/life safety equipment.

6th of Aug, 2010

First of all FireCoMinn, My Certifications aren't State of Minnesota certifications as you seem to think. They are International Certifications! ICC (International Code Council) They are INTERNATIONAL! In case you are too stupid to look at the www.iccsafe.org website, There are currently 11 people in the State of Minnesota CERTIFIED in Pre-Engineered Kitchen Suppression Systems (most of them from the larger companies). About 26 are CERTIFIED in Portable Fire Extinguishers (also from the larger companies). Those companies are being what is called ProActive (look it up, it's in the dictionary) They know that eventually Minnesota will require it! And they don't want to wait until the last minute scrambling to get everyone on board. But look at the OTHER States who HAVE adopted more current editions of NFPA 10, NFPA 96 and NFPA 17A: In those states, several people are certified with ICC! because they're REQUIRED to be certified through an accredited agency in their respective States, which ICC is an accredited agency! Their Ansul Trainining means SQUAT at that point! Other than they were trained by the factory! Which is not, I repeat NOT an accredited agency! When the State of Minnesota adopts the next editions of NFPA, you will be REQUIRED to hold an accredited certification if you want to remain in your field. Bottom line! If you are too stupid to realize this, then there is no hope for you.

And at FIRE-X Extinguisher Company, I inspect EVERYTHING thoroughly! I check the chemical quality and level EVERY TIME! I replace the fusible links EVERY TIME (Semi-annually)! I do NOT change the o-rings yearly as Northland does (because it's NOT REQUIRED!) So I'm not RIPPING OFF MY CUSTOMERS and charging them $10 an o-ring and $6.95 for a cartidge gasket that doesn't NEED to be replaced like Northland does) That TOO is straight out of the Ansul manual (but I doubt you've ever read it, all you post are talking points) I trip the gas lines to make sure it shuts down, I remove and check EVERY NOZZLE, I aim every appliance nozzle with a laser-aiming tool for pin-point accuracy (Todays Technology) I weigh each and every cartridge with a digital scale which gives me the exact weight (Today's Technology). Periodically, I insert and cut a test link to make sure there's no lag-time in the detection line, I adjust the trip hammer assembly if necessary to make sure the tension is proper, I check each nozzle cap for cracking and splitting at each service interval and replace if needed. I replace each nozzle cap annually as required per Ansul, I check to make sure the system is still configured for the kitchen as designed. When I finish at a customer location, I walk out knowing that if they have a fire, the system is going to work. That is the quality service that FIRE-X customers get from me.
    Think what you want to think, but I am licensed, I am insured, I am certified, I am Ansul trained, so DO NOT continue to insinuate that I am NOT! The more you guys keep saying that [censor] and telling customers that I am not does nothing more than to fire me up even further and makes we want to keep going after MORE Northland customers! And if it continues, I will initiate legal action for slander! I can PROVE in a court of law that I am licensed, I can PROVE in a court of law that I am insured, I can PROVE in a court of law that I am certified! I can PROVE in a court of law that I am being slandered and can get legal depositions from customers who have said technicians from Northland Fire and Security have slandered me (some have even agreed to do it!!!) You, on the other hand would be very hard pressed to prove that I have posted all the comments on here as you continue to insinuate, as it is simply not true. So how far do you want to take this????? Maybe, just maybe, if the technicians and ownership and management of NFS actually thought about stopping this childish [censor], I may stop going after Northland stuff. You have a choice: Stop the [censor], or I'll just keep on fighting and keep taking more and more from you. It gives me great pleasure to know that when I walk out from another Northland customer that I just took, I just took more money from Northlands pockets and/or bank account. That, is the ultimate satisfaction. I am not biiter or pissed off about having left Northland. Everything happens for a reason. I left there in 2006 to take a job in Iraq working as a firefighter because I was dissatisfied with my treatment over there as everyone else was. I just chose to leave. Best thing I ever did. Northland must really view me as a threat to their business when they have to resort to the tactics that they resort to. Lastly however, I would honestly like to leave the business all together as I'm getting bored with it! Sell off everything I have related to the business and move on to other interests. I have an interest in an area that could fill a niche that is seriously lacking in the Twin Cities, but I'm not going to try to operate both. I do NOT want to continue fighting this [censor], but I will if it continues. You can take the ethical and moral high ground and put this [censor] to rest, or remain in the gutter and keep it going. Which doesn't make either one of us look good, is not consistent with the values or rules of NAFED and is not consistent with the values of the Better Business Bureau and it's rules. Both Northland & FIRE-X could have our memberships suspended from the BBB and Northland could be suspended from NAFED for this kind of crap. Just a little something else to remember!

7th of Aug, 2010

All I can say is wow! I'm glad I don't work for either of your companies! You both sound like a couple of nut whackjob losers who need to get a life! But the company I work for, we service Ansul systems as well and we're not Ansul trained! We go by the manual and have never had a problem. We don't service that many Ansul though, most of our sytems are Badger. I hate doing systems anyway because they are filthy! I'm happy just doing fire extinguishers.