North Country Kennel / dog abuse/neglect

21662 Country Road 128Ironton, MN, United States Review updated:
3.9
Phone: 218-546-2811
I purchased a cockapoo in October 2008. Upon receiving her at the airport, I thought she felt rather emaciated, as her spine, hips, and ribs could be felt though her fur. After I had her checked by my vet, he agreed. Her stool specimen showed she was infested with hookworm and she was so grossly infested with giardia, the vet said "This dog shouldn't be alive." We have treated her with medications and have gone through 3 rounds and she is still infested with giardia as of today. We are trying something else now. I love her and will help her though this, but I should have known better than to support a puppy mill. (Which I didn't know at the time of purchase that this is what they are.)

Comments

Ja
  1st of Apr, 2009
I picked a puppy from them then backed out. Just had a funny feeling about it. Plus how could they have soooo many puppies for sale and so few staff? Too few photos and info about where and how puppies were housed etc.
Gr
  18th of Mar, 2010
My heart goes out to all of those people with complaints, However I too had issues with them. I purchased a ShiChon in 2008. His name is Bear. He is the absolute love of my life. I am almost in tears just writing this thinking I could loose him later in life. When I picked him up at the airport it was love at first sight. He sleeps on and off of my bed every night, and I would never let him get away from me. I think North Country Kennels is just as good as any other kennel in this country. If you want to blame them for your pets problems, then you should never purchase a puppy from anyone. Bear is healthy and strong. I followed their directions for his healt care to the letter, and only had minor issues with his ability to adjust to different foods. That was easily resolved and never experienced again. I just hate to see people bashing them for their puppies. There are never guarantees in life. Genetic mishaps happen with humans too. My issue is that I got the runaround picking puppy after puppy, to find they were already taken. I am so gratefull that I settled for the leftover. I was making the wrong choice all along though. My Snickers pup was the one for me...