North American Lottery Incorporation / Scammers and liars

I received a notice in the mail at the beginning of August-2009 about winning the North American Lottery in the amount of $50, 000. I was 1 of 4 individuals that won a lump sum of $200, 000. I began reading this notice and thought it was too good to be true until I saw a check for $4, 800. It looked real enough, it had a watermark on the back and everything. I checked the bank out that was on the check and found out it was a real bank, in fact the bank, SunTrust, is the bank my boyfriend's parents bank at. It went on to say that $2, 900 of the money I received had to pay for government taxes and I had to cash the check and go to a Western Union or do a moneygram in order to pay the taxes and receive the rest of the lottery money. My so-called contact was named David Jones, he sounded like he was from Africa or the Middle East somewhere and I could barely understand him. I thank God my mother didn't raise a fool because I imediately started to investigate and found out it was a scam. When I called the number on the notice, I got a voicemail and I could not leave a message, but like 5 minutes after I called the number a man called my phone number back. I thought that was too weird. He instructed me not to tell anyone about the winnings and go straight to the bank and cash the check and call him right away so he can tell me where to send the money for tax payment. I then called up my bank and sat down with them and had them to call the number and the bank sure enough said that was a scam. Even though the bank that was on the check was a real bank did not mean it was a real check, and my bank told me if I would have cashed that check I would be responsible for paying them back. Watch out everyone, it's awful that some people are taking the time to figure out new ways to rob you of what you work so hard for.

Ed

Comments

• Mt
      2nd of Nov, 2009

I received a check dated 9/26/2009 from NOrth American Lottery Foundations Sweepstakes in Elkridge MD. A check for $3995 was enclosed financing the security deposit fee of $3250. The letter stated I was to contact the claims agent, Andy Jones at 416-836-5051 prior to depositing the check.

Bad punctuation really got my attention as well as no return address. I thought it was very strange that the amt of the check was greater than the amount needed for the security deposit. I held on to the letter for several weeks and am just now researching.

The business name of the check is Smart Balance Inc in Paramus, NJ. Couldn't find it on Google. So then I checked out North American Lottery Foundation and made it to this page as well as some others.

Thanks to others for reporting this fraud. Hopefully, others receiving this letter will take the time to research. Use common sense. This check could not have come at a better time, but I would be worse off if I had not listened to my inner voice telling me to wait and ask someone else's opinion. Watch out for these leeches - those who don't have the decency to care for others.