North American Bankcard / Credit Card Scam

1 San Diego, CA, United States Review updated:

After opening my own business here in San Diego, California, and many conversations with ALEXIS at NORTH AMERICAN BANKCARD, I decided to choose North American because she assured me, point blank, that their was no minimum monthly sales quota. I unfortunately discovered a month later that SHE LIED, completely, and I am more than mad, I feel extremely taken advantage of especially because I asked every question to ensure that I was choosing the appropriate company to open my merchant account, and she LIED. First of all, my equipment arrived over a week late. Second, the beginning of August, North American withdrew way more money out of my business bank account than promised, and it caused tremendous problems. I called them immediately only to discover that there is a $1700 minimum sales quota and if not met, additional fees are charged, automatically taken from my account. In addition, the manager of customer service was like talking to a robot, and funny how the sales person; Alexis in San Diego, was no longer available to talk to. And there is MORE, they are in breach of their own contract and to date, today, August 11, 2008, I have not received my merchant statement to account for all of the fees withdrawn form my bank. I am closing my business account tomorrow because I don’t trust North American having access to my account. I called customer service for the third time, stating that I want my fees reimbursed, she point blank said; “no, we will never do that”, and I got the run around. I also shipped back my equipment certified mail last week, so I have done my part. I have to say, I am so glad, by the grace of God, that I found out about the UNETHICAL PRACTICE of North American Bankcard eight days before the forty five day cancellation period. I was lied to, and please RUN AWAY before you get in to deep. I am shocked at the unacceptable business practices of North American Bankcard, and I doubt they loose any sleep at night

Comments

• Li
      13th of Oct, 2008

North American Bancard Company has been nothing but a headache. I have tried to get out of a contract for 2 months. 4 times I was told that (by their people) "we own the equipment" and all we have to pay is a $630.00 early termination fee. One of the 4 times they approved it through the managers. They even gave us the access codes to reprogram our equipment to use with another company. Now they say since we aren't returning "their" equipment we owe them another $1345.00. Which I priced the equipment new and it is only $372.00 to purchase elsewhere. I called them to send us a statement for the early termination fee because we closed our checking account and they said they will try to pull it from that account anyways and then turn us over to collection! WHAT IDIOTS! I have contacted our Congress and they are checking into this company because they say "there's a problem there that needs check ino". What a Scam of a business! Mr. Mark Gardner do you know what kind of company you have created!

• Ki
      15th of Jan, 2009

North American Bancard works very diligently to resolve all customer issues and complaints. Since our inception in 1992, we have worked with over 125, 000 merchants of all sizes and levels of complexity. We provide a high level of service and support to our customers, as is evidenced by the low number of complaints we handle. Occasionally we, like any other large company, may make a mistake or mishandle an issue. When these are brought to our attention we resolve them to the best of our ability. Our 250+ employees work hard every day to make doing business with NAB a pleasure for our merchants and stakeholders, all we ask is the opportunity to recover well.

The Free Terminal Program Agreement clearly states that the equipment is the property of NAB, is being licensed to Merchant, and must be returned in good and working condition within ten days of the termination or expiration of the Merchant Account. If you took advantage of this program, you would be responsible for the return of the equipment back to us and if not returned, would be responsible for the value of the terminal as described on the Merchant Agreement.

In regards to the fees that have been questioned, every Merchant Agreement will clearly list all the fees that may apply to each account. Section 5 Payment and Fees state, “Merchant agrees to pay and Merchant's account(s) will be charged for the discount, fees, and other charges described in this Agreement. Merchant also agrees to pay and Merchant’s account(s) will be debited for all fees, arbitration fees, fines, penalties, etc. charged by the card associations or network organizations on account of Merchant’s processing hereunder.”

Every merchant receives a Welcome Letter that will specify the specifics of one's account such as Monthly Sales Volume and Highest Ticket. In addition, it includes an addition copy of the Terms and Conditions as well as providing a website to view the Terms and Conditions electronically.

Unfortunately enough information was not provided for us to accurately determine your specific Merchant Account. If your account was incorrectly debited, or you believe your fees have been inadequately advised, then we would need specific information in order to properly address the concerns or correct any errors.

Should you have any questions regarding this response, please have your Merchant number ready and contact our Customer Service at 800-226-2273 Ext.1300, so that your specific situation may be properly researched and addressed.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Tippin
    Director of Customer Contacts

• Al
      10th of Aug, 2009

We've never owned their equipment..and they are STILL trying to charge US for $630 in cancellation fees PLUS some non discript additional fees of $157.50 for a GRAND total of $787.50. They also sent their "collections" bill to me personally at my HOME, threatening my personal credit rating. This is a BUSINESS account...NOT a personal account.. THAT alone is ILLEGAL. Also..
    They charged us monthly fees that are WAY above what ANY other credit card processor charges. This company needs to be SHUT DOWN.
    I am sending a copy of my contract AND this bill to the Connecticut States Attorney general, my attorney AND my accountant..

• Al
      10th of Aug, 2009

I realized that I stupidly signed their "cancellation" agreement..but it still doesn't make it LEGAL what they are trying to charge and how they are coming after me PERSONALLY when this was a BUSINESS account..and even their "cancellation" form lists my business name and address..

• Di
      9th of Feb, 2010

Even though an account may be setup for a business entity, most likely the owner(s) will also sign a personal guarantee. I don't work with NAB in any way, but I can tell you that almost every merchant account agreement includes a personal guarantee from one or more owners. Read your agreement, and you will likely find that to be the case. This allows them to collect payment from you personally, should the business not pay any amounts owed.

• Nj
      4th of Mar, 2010

I cancelled my account within the 45 day trial period...sent in the signed letter they required. They said they never received it...now they are telling me I owe $990 to cancel the service...they are automatically debiting $30 from my account for 3 years...I contacted the Better Business Bureau and they siad that because I was under contract and that North American Bancard said they never recived my cancellation letter, there was nothing they coudl do. When I told Customer service (and I use that term loosely), they boasted of their A+ status on the BBB. I am going to contact the Attorney General's office tomorrow. This is a Fraudelent scam and what they are doing is not ethical! They should not be able to get away with this!!!

20th of Jun, 2010

a true nightmare. has everyone else recently been charged an extra 80$ a year for a "pci" fee?
    a year into my contract they added another 80$ a year fee. Kimberly Tippen, in her comments below states they serve over 125, 000 customers. you do the math. Coincidence i assume that it equals an even million...
    I tried to cancel my contract, and it would cost 280 dollars at this point, or i just serve out the remaining "sentence" that i agreed to with the rep that i contacted (never to be found again...)
    I guess what i signed onto for 3 years is that NAB Services can add any amount for charges to my account at any point?

What they are doing is fraudulent and i agree. They should not get away with this.
    I missed my 45 day "trial" period, but got screwed anyway

Yes, stay far away! and somebody please help us!!!

20th of Jun, 2010

O, and oops on the math, thats an even 10 million!!

21st of Jul, 2010

This place is a nightmare. Please stay away! Mercury payments is a much cheaper and better alternative.

• Th
      17th of Oct, 2010

Personally it sounds like buyers remorse. All of the complaints state that they somehow missed the 45 day cancellation window, which is no fault of the company's. Also, one individual states that he sent a letter requesting cancellation and NAB claimed to have never received it. Had you sent it certified or signature return receipt for 85 cents you would have had proof of mailing. One would assume any business professional would know to mail such (time sensitive) letters with proof of mailing. And, lastly read the contracts that's what they're for. As much as I'd like to give the little guy the benefit of the doubt :(. I'm not convinced that NAB did anything wrong sorry.

• Pd
      20th of Oct, 2010

thegoodwife, your a [censor]ing idiot. We as small business owners should be able to cancel at anytime. NAB and their terms and termination is ridiculous. Luckily when I typed "North American Banc Card" into Googles search, one of the listed returns was "North American Bancard Scam" and was taking here. It's just a shady practice for a representative to call you and explain all the rates and conditions and then when we read the contract it says a different story. Ultimately the reps should be explaining everything to avoid confusion and the assumption that everyone is going to read the Terms and Conditions. Just be clear, we have better things to do than to worry about getting screwed from companies like this. Anyone agree???

• Pd
      20th of Oct, 2010

My mistake, the representative called back and issued an addendum that excludes me from the long term contract and is officially a month to month contract with only a 30 day notice to cancel with no fees. I apologize for acting on impulse after reading these posts. The rep actually went out of his way spending more than enough time trying to resolve my issues to get this thing moving. Hopefully I will begin processing credit cards soon. I also apologize to "thegoodwife" sorry for my comment, this process is new to me and was under the impression that someone wanted to screw us over. I would upload the document, but it is considered confidential, so if you want to this document (addendum), just ask. Maybe they have changed to meet our needs, either way I am satisfied.

• Rh
      28th of Oct, 2010

I signed up with them about 2 months ago. I was told there were no contracts and that the wireless credit card reader was mine.the first months billing was double so I called them. They said I had 2 credit card readers and that was the reason for the amount. I explained to them I had only 1 credit card reader. After staying on hold for an hour they fixed it. I asked customer service if I were to lose the wireless reader what would happen. He told me I would have to pay $1100.00. I don't understand this amount because I can buy a new one for $600.00. What a scam.

31st of Oct, 2010

These boards are full of so many uneducated or impulse oriented complaints it is ridiculous. I've dealt with a bunch of different companies for this service and NAB has been one of the good ones. Out of 125000 customers, to find somewhere in the order of 30 actual hard complaints is better than just about any other company I have come across. Are there some bad sales reps out there? Damn right there are. Does that mean it is a bad company to deal with? Nope. Every business owner needs to do some due diligence, but don't condemn the entire company if you have a misunderstanding or cannot read your own contracts!

That's right, virtually EVERY complaint I've seen against NAB is from a business owner who cannot read their own contract. And that's just silly.

As for the PCI fee, EVERY processing company out there is passing that along these days, and it's not a charge that they are assessing themselves—while it isn't a LEGALLY mandated fee, it is REQUIRED by VISA, MasterCard and Discover. Since processing does not have huge built in profits, that cost is passed along to the merchants. Sucks, but you can often get your processing company to reduce your annual fees to help out if that wasn't previously disclosed. It is a relatively NEW fee, which is why so many people don't understand it.

But there you go. It's not a bad company. Might have had a bad sales rep, or maybe just not a very good one, but NAB does respond better than the other companies I've dealt with.

• Ca
      26th of Nov, 2010

I agree wholeheartedly with the negative comments regarding the North American Bancard scammers. I was telemarketed by a sales rep here in Southwest Florida. I was looking for a credit card processing service last summer anyway and figured a local company deserved a shot. I asked the right questions as I have had credit card processing services before. I was satisfied by the answers to my specific questions, but did not realize that I was being lied to. I signed a basic agreement and was promised a three day delivery on my terminal. A couple of days later NABc sent a link to my actual contract. As I recall it was about 16 pages of fine print legalese including many bad things that led me to be worried. My call to the rep about these onerous "details" led him to assure me that these "didn't apply to me". I then emailed him the language of the "bad stuff" and asked him to clarify for me what this was. No response. Found this site on the internet and my blood ran cold. I'd been duped! My account was then charged $56 for services. I still had not even received the terminal! A call to NABc was dealt with by an Asian sounding woman who spoke extremely broken English. Like talking to a wall. No understanding on either side, except for my understanding that they were going to charge me over a thousand dollars if I was to cancel. I was frightened by the power of this company to remove funds from my account and had to close it. When the terminal finally arrived (one month), I drove it to the sales reps' office (boiler room), wrong address on business card, but found them anyway.By threatening nicely to turn this matter over to the Collier County Economics Crime Unit of the Sheriffs Office I was allowed to terminate by NABc with no charge. Good, or lucky, for me but it cost me some sleepless nights. The bottom line is that the sales rep was a charming LIAR, and it's hard for anyone to do due diligence when presented with an out and out con job. I wish that I had found this complaint site before I was conned and not after.

12th of Feb, 2011

We recently launched http://creditcardprocessingscams.com as an independent voice for merchants looking to start credit card processing or switch their current provider. We have no affiliate links or "preferred providers" on the website and are hoping with the help of merchants we can expand the website and shed much needed light on the industry as a whole.

8th of Mar, 2011

Absoultly agree with ALL of the scam charges at NAB!!! They are devious scammers. I have opted out of the mybizperks.com scam over and over and still they keep charging, correction, stealing from my account!!!

6th of Apr, 2011

Try returning the equipment after waiting for the contract to end! I just want the address! I've been waiting 4.5 months for a return phone call. I've called multiple time. I will continue to have the charges reversed in the account because the charges are not authorized. The contract ended 02-06-2011. Today is 04-06-2011. What a scam. I will never do business with HSBC or North American Bancard again. Today I am on hold again for with no one to talk to.

If anyone knows where to return the equipment, please post!

Thanks!

11th of Apr, 2011

I filed a BBB complaint, they value their rating and will usually respond with a resolution so they can attempt to maintain it. Get this, they begrudgingly agree to refund the stolen mybizperks fees but when I get my statement, they had signed me up AGAIN for it and stole the "fees" from my checking account!!! I've filed another BBB complaint. I urge EVERYONE to take 5 minutes and file complaints. They must be stripped of their rating!!!

• Sm
      5th of Jun, 2011

Wow.
    I'm a small business and have had their wireless card reader for almost a year. We have had zero problems with them. In fact cable broke recently, they overnighted one the next day. Dropped machine and it stopped working, they sent a new one out next day. Never had any over problems with their billing, never have had any problems with anything what so ever. Other than the fact that the wait time is a little long on the phone... (who doesn't seem to have a long wait time?) All customer service reps have been clear speaking and very knowledgeable about their equipment and billing issues.

We are really happy with them.

Small Business Owner,