Nokia N80 / non-honoring of warranty

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I purchased a New N80 on eBay from a cellular store on 8/15/07. The phone works great and I love its business application (Outlook). On Thursday 7/24/2008 I was carrying the phone in my front pants pocket. I removed it from the pocket to place a phone call. At that time I discovered that the screen had a big Starburst that covered 3/5ths of the screen. I had nothing else in the pocket and there is no visible evidence of scratching, or any unusual ware on the handset. The problem appears to be due to a faulty electronic part in my phone.

At the time of purchase the N80 was not available through US carriers. I am on the AT&T network, but not under contact, as I do international travel periodically and need an unlocked phone. As such, I often purchase my phones directly from handset distributors. Increasing my cost for the handset, but giving me the flexibility I need. Since the phone is not offered by my US carrier, it did not have certain functionality on the AT&T network. This was acceptable to me, as I was able to use the phone I wanted (N80).

I contacted NOKIA USA repair/warranty department the first time via phone on Friday 7/25 and was told there was nothing NOKIA could do to honor their 1 year warranty. Per their comments, I found a cell repair shop that would repair the phone if I could get the part (screen) as it is a simple repair. When I contacted NOKIA and explained that I found a repair shop and only needed the part, requesting that they send the part to me. Nokia responded that they could not do this, I must find a way to send the phone to their repair in Great Britain. In consideration of the NOKIA brand and reputation, I found this answer unacceptable. This is not an inexpensive phone, but they show no consideration or support. If they do not honor their warranties purchasers should be made aware of this. But the lack of support in resolving this issue is not acceptable to me.

Comments

• Ra
      1st of Apr, 2007
    Nokia N80 - Poor camera results
    Pakistan

I am surprised to see very bad camera results of N80 it has 3-Mega pixel camera but its result is poor than 1-Mega pixel. I contact with teletec Lahore pakistan. I told me they have already informed to Nokia about its bad camera results. What customer can do on this kind of statement. Can anyone solve my problem. I purchased this set to find best camera quality but disappointed to see all this story described above.

• Ga
      28th of Sep, 2007
    Nokia N80 - Poor quality product!
    India

I would say NOKIA is good only in low end phones, after the launch of N series they should no more be allowed to launch Highend phones. After hefty amount of Rs. 24000/- i bought N80 just 4 months back even in warranty period kept the same with so care stopped working abruptly. Keys stopped working.Visited nokia care center which is under HCL technologies, they refused repairing the same after telling me that it is liquid damage. Even though i being an old customer of Nokia know how to handle mobile phones had kept this costliest handset with very care, but was shocked to know that service provided by them would too be so worst. How can a high end phone allow liquid going inside until n unless it would have fallen in Sea/Oces/River/water full container/doing swimming?? Out of which my phone never had gone through these as i am well aware of keeping the items safe from these things.

NOKIA just knows how to push out the hard earned money from customers pocket instead of giving them good quality and highly safe phones in these kind of conditions also.

SONY & MOTOROLA does help their customer in this regard too... came to know from my friends...

So dear friends please help out your friends by spreading this knowledge to all so that they doesn't fall into the Trap of NOKIA bugged N series phones and specially N80...

• Mi
      11th of Oct, 2007
    Nokia N80 - Poor service!
    South Africa

I have a Nokia N80. The phone is still under warranty and does nothing but freeze. I feel all the phone requires is a software upgrade. When Contacting MTN they say a software upgrade follows in line as a repair and will take 6 to 8 weeks. My complaint is why can Vodacom do a software upgrade in an hour successfully and MTN have to take 6 to 8 weeks.

Nokia is Nokia whether it has a MTN or VODACOM simcard in it. It should still be repaired equally between networks. I feel this service is pathetic and moving me towards Vodacom and definitely away from Nokia as a Mobile Phone Product.

Possible cellphone customers must think long and hard before going with MTN as there service provider and secondly going with Nokia as a handset.

• Mu
      24th of Apr, 2008
    nokia,N80 - Poor service!
    India

to nokia dealers
    my brother has buy a nokia N80 series phone
    before 6 months back the phone was brust
    my brother was send the cell bangalore
    but here repair is not done

what can do

• As
      27th of Sep, 2009

I used Nokia N80, display coming very slowly why? plz send me email - rosario.balsingh@gmail.com

• Bi
      5th of Jul, 2011

I purchased a Nokia 6555 Red Quadband GSM World Cellphone (Unlocked) online on February 7, 2011, just 5-months ago and Nokia is telling me that they will not honor the warrantee based on the serial number of the product. This is a brand new cellphone that should be warranted for one full year!
    From now on, I will NEVER purchase another product manufactured by Nokia.