Nokia 5300 / broken screen!

The first nokia 5300 i purchased was in my jacket pocket late september. i hung my coat gently on my chair at work and later on, checking the time, realized the display had been cracked. this phone is suffering a poor design and marketing them knowingly is highway robbery. i had confidence in nokia products and even bought a second one thinking it was a fluke or something, and planned on sending my first phone in for assessment, to figure how its repair would be financed. i am still waiting to find out, however the second phone (the replacement) i purchased out of pocket broke in my pocket of my pants after walking in them. so disappointed. to add something also my roommate had this phone also, her screen broke also. not joking. so there are 3 broken screens, i've read of others, what is it going to take to get a different nokia, i don't even want a repaired one, or necessarily a nokia. the weirdest thing about these incidents was that both my screens broke above the right side of the keypad on the lower portion of the screen in nearly identical locations!

Comments

• Ke
      9th of Nov, 2007

Ya same here, just have the phone and the screens broken, this time at the top lefthand screen. I've already complained and by right we should get a refund or a replacement possibly of a newer one with a stronger screen!

• Li
      10th of Nov, 2007

OMG!! My phone was in my pocket for about 5 minutes and i pulled it out and the screen was broken on the bottom right corner also!!! I called tmobile and they said it would cost 100 dollars to replace! is there anything else i can do?? Advise smb!

• Mi
      11th of Nov, 2007

ditto here. The plastic covering on the screen cracked on day one. I have no idea how. It was never dropped or sat on. The electronic screen below it was soon to follow. I've never had an electronic device in this price range ($249.99 from t-mobile store) become unusable so quickly. Because of the cracked plastic screen cover, I didn't even bother trying to complain, since I figured the t-mobile store would claim I abused the thing. I had hoped that I could open it up and reset a faulty connector. Let it be known that the insides are not user friendly. Lots of pop rivets, no screws. I will not be giving Nokia another chance to take my money, and I would advise anyone reading this to stare clear of this model. The concept looked cool; the reality is frustration and anger. I really feel like I have been ripped off.

17th of Nov, 2007

I upgraded to the Nokia 5300 back in March 2007 my initial handset performed well for 6 months then 1 day the display became unreadable so I got a replacement phone from T-Mobile and 3 weeks later the Lcd screen cracked overall I like the features on this phone so I just ordered a replacement Lcd screen off of Ebay but I must admit that I'm very disappointed with Nokia now that I've found that this issue is common among users without abnormal abuse of the phone!

23rd of Nov, 2007

Just wanted to update you folks if your unfortunate enough to crack your lcd screen on a Nokia 5300,6233,E50 or7370 it is pretty inexpensive and easy to install a replacement lcd screen for these models if anyone needs a service manual for Nokia 5300 just email me i'll send it to you

• Mg
      25th of Nov, 2007

I am not going to elaborate too much since my story is almost identical. I was text messaging a friend, lay my phone on my desk. After 40 min. I decided to make a call and noticed a crack on the lower/left hand side. BUT I did noticed that when pressing the left side controls (above the keypad) the pressing of the buttons were creating pressure, just as when you put a finger on a laptop lcd. Which I thought it was unusual. In my case I had this phone replaced 3 times at no cost. But the screen will not be covered. I have found a replacement on eBay for about 3o (including shipping). I just hope it works out well.
    About buying another Nokia, it will be debatable or I will only buy it with insurance. But I think I will switch to the iPhone.

• Da
      2nd of Dec, 2007

I had my phone not even a week....I was walkin thru my kitchen and not even an arms length from the rug that was in my kitchen that I was standing on did my phone fall onto that and the screen broke...A soft ### carpet and the thing broke...theres a diagonal line goin across the screen and its crap that the thing broke so easily...They should make these better and put a recall on these phones and give people who have them a better phone for the trouble they had to go thru....

• Ba
      5th of Dec, 2007

This is my third nokia 5300 and my last. All lcd screens have busted. Lets file a lawsuit.

• Ar
      13th of Dec, 2007

I had my nokia 5300 for less than a month and when I pulled my phone out of my pocket to find that my screen was cracked.I couldn't beleive this my friend had the same problem 1 week before.I think nokia needs to do something about this situation.

• Sh
      13th of Dec, 2007

My lcd screen has broken of nokia 5300.. do i have to pay something for it... its underwarranty its been 3 months dat i ve purchased this phone... Please help i dont want to pay anything!

• Te
      17th of Dec, 2007

Exact same thing here!!! Had my phone for a month, took it out of my purse to put it on silent, set it back in, and then took it out a second later to double check that it was actually on silent and my lcd was cracked on the lower left-hand side... Took it to T-Mobile and they refused me saying that it wasn't a manufacturers defect and so it's not under warranty. LAME! I agree with Baron... let's file a lawsuit.

18th of Dec, 2007

Yes, I just put nokia 5300 in my pocket, its screen cracked, sucks, I don't how to do it, we can get replacement in ebay, but I am afraid it will be easy to crack again. I think Nokia should be responsible, they kid me? putting cellphone in pocket is abuse!! I agree with Baron and Tessa, let's file a lawsuit!!

12th of Jan, 2008

My husband has had the same problem, but with Nokia 6555. He's had the phone 3 weeks, it was laying on the center console of our car (not touching anything) -- when he put it down, it was fine. About an hour later when he picked it up, the LCD screen was cracked on the inside. AT&T is refusing to replace it, and Nokia wants to charge us for the repair, claiming it's "out of warranty" due to customer damage. He didn't do anything abnormal with the phone -- just set it down for awhile!! Am really angry about this, and won't buy another Nokia

• Mr
      20th of Jan, 2008

I purchased this same model cell phone for my son on 1/3/08. Four days later the phone was cracked on the inside of the screen. I'm glad to hear it's a defect on the phone, and not the carelessness of my 13 yrs. old. My son reassured me that he was switching from one classroom to another and had just used the phone few minutes earlier, then as he picked it up again it appeared cracked. Not sure what to do now since I didn't purchase warranty on it having all the confidence that since it's a new model phone, it would be under excellent condition. Just wanted to know that there's others with the same situation. As of yet, I haven't contacted the company, but as many of you have written in, it will be very difficult for the company to assume it's responsibility and replace this phone with one with better quality. Perhaps, a refund would be wishful thinking! Hope this helps others who are considering purchasing a Nokia 5300.

20th of Jan, 2008

Same here the LCD cracked while sitting on the bed side table...Only had the phone for 6 days. The screen is really thin and the LCD seems to close the the main screen.

• Je
      5th of Feb, 2008

My 2 kids each have this phone. Due to cracked screens we had 2 replacements sent. Now, guess what! The screens are cracked again!

5th of Feb, 2008

Yep, mine is at the repair center now with the same cracked screen everyone else has - I also have a brother and his wife a father in law and another relative all with the same cracked screens.

Then want me to pay 98 to have it fixed - no way - not gonna happen.

I am on the Nokia phone line now with a rep waiting for a manager - -I called over a month ago and they were going to call me back within 2 business days - never happened.

Nice elevator music.

Floor Supervisor Quanie on the line now - not too bright - won't fix it for free - and will not transfer me to anyone over her.

• Ci
      23rd of Feb, 2008

Same here, and crack at same place, lower right corner, out of no reason, no dropping of phone, nothing, isn't ther a cheap replacement available ,30 bucks seems to be a lot, just took it few months back, wat's the best thing to do,new phone??

• Ci
      23rd of Feb, 2008

Did anyone filed the lawsuit?

• Da
      15th of Mar, 2008

dude my phne screen is cracked on the left
    its all the way up the middle its soooo gay
    plus now it takes exactly 14 minutes to turn it on

so dumb
    i hate nokia with a passion