NLS Financial / Scam

I was granted a loan approval, then I was told I was appoved for a pick-your-pay loan, and then asked to drive 2 hours to a location (KIA DEALERSHIP), where I was basically introduced to a ton of stipulations regarding my loan that I was not presented with during previous conversations with the loan officer. Nonetheless I was not able to puchase a vehicle due to the fact that I was asked to put down money and not able to choose the vehicle of my choice. After a day had passed and my fustration settled I called NLS Financial, where no one would answer my calls and blatantly had no regard for me anymore. HOW RUDE!!! SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!!

Comments

15th of Apr, 2009

I got an email saying that my husband had been approved for an auto loan. Both his credit score, and mine, are in the low 500s. I was amazed and thrilled, but a little skeptical, and I called the number. The young lady, Christina, I spoke to at NLS Financial, out of Hagerstown, MD, said that he had indeed been approved for a loan amount of $32, 500, and even went so far as to give me a confirmation number/approval number. She said that I need to meet with the loan officer that same evening at a KIA dealership in Manassas, VA to finalize the loan. The loan officer, Taylor Green, called me to confirm the appointment, at which time I questioned her on the validity of the loan. She assured me that we had been approved and that they worked with most of the "reputable" dealers in the area, choose whatever car you want to purchase within that amount and she would cut us a check that evening when we finalized the loan. I told her that I was concerned that we were meeting at the KIA dealership, as I had no intention of purchasing a KIA. She assured me that they just allowed her to use the space and that I could buy from whomever I chose.

I spent the day negotiating the price on my car, sticker price of almost $30K, the dealer knew I was shopping and gave me the price of $25K. I told them that I had the financing in place and simply had to finalize the paperwork that night and would drop the check by. I took the car and left the decent dealership to show my husband our new car. When I arrived home, a friend, who like us, has a poor credit rating and could use a new car, was there waiting for me. When I explained the situation to her, she called the same company and applied, to be approved for a $26K car loan. She asked all of the pertinent questions and was given the same information I was, and was in fact, advised to accompany me and my husband to the dealership to finalize her loan as well. Even those the bells were going off in our heads, we all went to Manassas to meet with Taylor Green from NLS Financial.

When we arrived at the dealership, the KIA dealership with hardly any signage and was a hovel on the side of the road, I called Taylor to let her know we were there. She cheerfully assured me she would be right out to meet with us. We were directed by the incredibly shady looking salesperson to wait for her at a table. A couple of minutes later the same guy came out, Tim Williams, and said that she was running a couple of hours behind and he would go ahead and enter the information into the system. I hesitated but, given the fact that our kids were home with a sitter and it was already 7:15 pm, we went ahead to start the process with Tim. Tim was telling the three of us how, since we had been approved for $32, 500 for the loan and the car was less that $27K after taxes and fees, we could get $5, 500 in cash, the remaining approved amount on the loan. I was surprised by this, as the loan would not be collateralized for that amount, and asked him why the bank would be willing to do that since there was already the depreciation factor on the car, even though the price had been reduced so much. He said he didn't know, it was the craziest thing he'd ever seen but it was happening on a regular basis with this lender. I asked Tim if I should have the buyers order faxed over so that they could cut the check, and he said, "yeah, have him fax it to me so I can put it in our inventory". I was surprised by what I thought I heard and asked him why he would put it in to his inventory, an Acura TSX, and he said "what, no, I said I will get that for you". My husband and friend both agreed that they heard him say that and I had misunderstood. I asked when Taylor would be coming and he said "she may not even come, but we can handle it without her." At this point, I told him that I didn't understand how the loan could be finalized without the loan officer and I was not comfortable with the situation. He told me to wait a minute and walked away.

Another salesperson came and sat down and started asking for our information, as he had pulled our credit, which we had not signed a release for ANYONE to pull credit, and there was a vehicle that needed to be traded. I told him that we weren't trading, we would be selling the other vehicle to Carmax, as we could get a better offer from them and that Taylor had assured me that we could do that the next day. He said told us that in this case, I would have to be on the auto loan too so we could qualify for the loan, as NO ONE would approve a third auto loan for us. The only way to make it work without trading my husband's truck to them would be for me to be on the loan. I, like an idiot, gave him my social and said fine. He came back a few minutes later and started pressing the trade in issue again and at that point I asked him about Taylor and said that I needed to work with her, she had assured me that we simply needed to close on the loan and she would give us the check. He laughed and said, "nobody is going to GIVE you a check!" I was shocked and told him what I had been told by Christina, at NLS, and Taylor Green, the supposed loan officer. He said, "no, you misunderstood. We buy the car from the dealer, put it in our inventory and sell it to you." I asked him what would happen with the salesperson at Acura that had worked with me all day on the price and he said "he doesn't matter, we don't worry about him, this is how it works".

At this point, we all three were livid and I told him to give me our information back and we would be leaving. He asked if I wanted to just reschedule with Taylor and I told him no, I was not going to deal with them. He laughed and said, "you already have the car, you want it, we can make it work, its just going to take a little more work". I told him absolutely not, we would not deal with them based on the principal and I didn't NEED the car, it was just something I wanted and there was no way we would deal with them.

After leaving the dealership, I tried several times to reach NLS and Taylor Green and got no answers from either. I returned the car to the Acura dealer and gave him our credit information to see if he could get it approved through their banks. He said it was possible and he would call me today. I told him about the experience we had with the other group and he shook his head and said he had never heard anything like it!!

More than me being angry about a WASTED DAY and not having the beautiful luxury car that I do not need, there were a lot of people sitting in that dealership waiting for the same service we had just gotten. These people looked as if they had no other choice, many of them did not even speak English. We overheard one of the sales people so "no espanol" and shake his head at a customer and continue to speak, only louder. I can assure you, the second gentleman that came out to "deal" with us spoke Spanish. He had an accent and he was clearly of Latin decent, he could have easily assisted those people with understanding the terms of the deal that they were about to get swindled into.

• Su
      15th of Apr, 2009

I had a very similar experience. I submitted my info online and got a phone call within an hour that I was approved (not preapproved) for 32k. I was then told that I would need to meet Taylor at the same Kia dealership to finalize the loan and get the specifics - interest rate, monthly payment, etc. Taylor called me shortly after this initial conversasion and setup the meeting for 11. I received several calls the next morning to confirm the meeting time and that I could still make it. I arrived at 11 and was greeted by a young man that probably spent most of his day detailing cars. I mentioned that I was there to meet Taylor and he directed me to a table. He shortly arrived with an electronic tablet and said that he needed to input my information. I asked if Taylor was available...he said that we had to fill out the information first because they needed my signature and that Taylor would be out afterwards to talk to me. I again told him that I wanted to speak with Taylor first...he mentioned that I was to meet with Chris as well? I told him that Taylor had mentioned that Chris would be present during our meeting. He pointed out Chris and them again pressed me to fill out the information. I told him I wanted to talk to Chris first. Chris appeared to be the manager of the place. I mentioned to him that I wanted more specifics on the loan process since I was told I was already approved and just needed to finalize the paper work. He told me that they needed to enter my info into their system so that it could actually be submitted to the NLS underwriters for review and approval and that afterwards I would find out exactly what I could qualify for. The Kia dealership was just a middle man for processing the actual loan appliacation. I mentioned if he knew where Taylor was. He said that she was not there and what time was I supposed to meet her. I told him 11...it was already 11:15. I was suprised that he did not know any of the meeting specifics due to the fact that Taylor had said he would be sitting in on the meeting. I told him that I was going to try and get in touch with Taylor and try and figure out what was going on and if it appeared OK I would be back. I phone NLS and Taylor was not available. I called the cell number that they had for her twice and left voicemails and did not receive any call back. NLS may be a legitimate business and may actually help people but the fact that my 'Loan Officer" did not show up or return my calls to finalize my loan made me very suspicious. I am glad that I came across this blog before heading to the meeting.

• Cl
      23rd of Apr, 2009

I am confused by these blogs, what is a scam. Did these individuals get scammed ? Only thing I got out of the blogs was that the loan officer was not there. DID I MISS SOMETHING. Give me something solid on the Company because I am about the deal with them...I need a car BAD

• Gr
      25th of Jul, 2009

I had same experience on bait and switch. Also drove 1.5 hrs each way thru DC traffic in the rain. Consultant, Nicole Brown, never showed so dealer finance person took over. Dealer came back with wanting $ 2, 500 additional on a refi guaranteed by the lying consultant, Nicole, to reduce my costs and not cost me additional cash. I asked all the right questions up front and told here I did not want to wast my time driving for nothing. She three time guaranteed me a proper deal. Tried to reach their" Management " but they refused to return calls. I was told Amanda and Nicole ran the company.
    This company is loan referral scam ... avoid at all costs.
    Greg Sauser

• Kb
      4th of Aug, 2009

Stay away from this company. They are nothing but liars. I was searching from an auto loan on the internet. I received an email from NLS Financial saying I was approved for an auto loan with no money down. I didn't think much of it, but then I got a call. They told me I was approved for 26, 000 dollars. I was skeptical and kept asking if this was a pre-approval. They said no, they were a bank and not a dealer ship. I agreed to meet with the loan officer that was an hour and half away from where I lived. I am from Maryland and they required me to drive to Virginia. The loan officer Karen Fox then called me back to answer any questions I had. I asked again if this was an actual loan, or a pre-approval. Again the answer was they were a bank, not a dealer ship. I asked what the interest rate was. Karen said it depended on the car I picked. Red flags were raised. I decided to fight the traffic anyway because my curiosity was raised.

I was given the address and the very next morning we were on our way. First off, where do you think we pulled up too? You guested it, a dealer ship (Kia of Manasa.) Right there I was about to walk away, but we had drove all this way, might as well see it through, right? My appointment was at 9 but due to traffic we were arrived at 9:40. We walked in and I asked for Karen Fox who said she was meeting me there. The salesman said she hadn't gotten there yet, but she was on her way. He never asked when my appointment was. So she was 40 minutes late too? Hello...RED FLAG! We sat down and he said he just need my info for the bank to verify. As we waited, he offered us to go look around at the cars. Ok, there were like 15 cars on the lot with most being Kia rios, not my cup of tea with cars. We came back in and sat and waited another 20 minutes. In that time, I called asking to speak with Karen Fox. I was told she was probably on her way and was stuck in traffic. It was not near 10:30. I was told to ask for Matt Riely and he was always there.

After that, the salesman came back with 2 papers. Both had different amounts from another bank saying they would approve me for 12, 500 with 3000 down. I blew up. I wanted to get up and walk right then and there. The salesman asked to sit back down and inquired why I was so upset. I explained the "bank" had lied saying I was approved already and none of this was explained or the agreement. I then went on to say there were a couple of things on my credit report the bank couldn't have known about. Ummm, how did I get an approval then? Answer: I never did. I drove an hour and a half for nothing. I could have gotten that offer 5 minutes down my street in Maryland. When I told him I did not have the 3000 dollars to put down, he pushed about a cosigner or setting up to defer the down payment. I had had enough. I got up and left.

Karen Fox never showed, nor called. I never saw a Matt Reily. This was the biggest scam ever. I even explained to Karen the only reason I asked so many question was because I would be coming a long way. Please do not deal with these people. It will be a waste of time.