NJ Transit / employee attacked customer

To whom it may concern,

My name is Brian Szeto and I was boarding bus 163T from Port Authority Bus Terminal to Ridgewood, NJ on 2008/07/04 5:30pm, license plate number 0XX8242.

While my wife and I was waiting to board the bus, an NJ transit employee, who is a 6 ft tall, approx. 250lbs, African American, decided to block the bus entrance and let other passengers board the bus first. I politely asked him for an explanation but I did not receive a fair response from him, and he even told me to shut up. I was very upset and asked him what was he going to do. He then went on to use his big size (I'm only 5 ft 8 and 159 lbs) and used his back and violently pushed me into the glass wall behind me, leaving me with chest pain afterwards. He even tried to claim that I was trying to push him even though he was much bigger than I was. Eventually, my wife and I was finally able to board the bus on route to our journey. When we leave the bus, I politely asked the bus driver for his name and the name of the NJ Transit employee who pushed me. Unfortunately, he abruptly refused and claimed my wife was taking pictures of him, which she did not, and called NJ Transit dispatch. I was still feeling discomfort in my chest and became even more upset about the situation and decided to call 911. During the wait for the police, the driver made a racially offensive comment saying 'this is not China', which was also heard by other passengers onboard. The police and ambulance finally came to resolve the situation, and I had my chest and my overall health condition checked by the medical dispatcher.

I am very very upset about this situation and the terribly quality of service which NJ Transit provides to their customers. Worst of all, I never expected an NJ Transit employee would attack a customer and make racially offensive comments about their customers, which is very shocking to me. I, my family, and my friends will no longer feel safe while riding with NJ Transit as long as the employee involved in attacking me is still working for NJ Transit. Therefore I'm asking NJ Transit to promptly investigate into this matter on behalf of myself and my wife, and also on behalf of your company and your employees.

In closing, I hope NJ Transit will resolve the matter to my fullest satisfaction and also pay for any ambulance/medical fees caused by this incident. I will also reserve the right to further pursue this situation in a lawful manner until I feel this matter is fully resolved.

• Sadasia's Response, Sep 24, 2018

Three 99 passed my stop

Va

Comments

• Ni
      26th of Aug, 2008

Please let me know if you got an answer to your complaint and if it was worth complaining. I would also like to find out which is the best way to lodge a complaint and be heard. Thanks for your help.

• Lo
      14th of Nov, 2008

Why aren't the numbers on some of the buses clearer so we can see them as they are approaching? Many times when I'm waiting for the
    156 bus in the morning, either there's no number on the bus or there's a small piece of white paper in the bottom corner saying what bus it is. Either you have to have 20/20 vision or take a guess & flag the bus down & then you find out it's not your bus. This is ridiculous-don't we pay enough to at least have numbers on the buses!

14th of Sep, 2009

September 14, 2009

To whom it may concern,

On September 15, 2007, I was approached by two New Jersey Transit police officers while in the Morristown Train Station. They identified themselves as Officer John White and Officer Elaine Donnadio. Officer Donnadio took issue with my feet being on the bench that I was sitting on, and insisted that I wipe the bench with a wet paper towel. I did as she asked, and left the building.

As I walked away after reaching the sidewalk, I noticed that the officers were following me. They then approached me and Officer White began to write a summons. While he did so, both officers seemed to be trying to provoke me and cause me to lose my composure. When I would not allow that to happen, they seemed to become even more determined to do so.

Officer White then insisted that I sit down on the sidewalk, because he felt that I posed a threat to them. When I made them aware that I would not sit on a dirty sidewalk, and asked that he complete the summons, Officer Donnadio forced me to the ground and handcuffed me, while Officer White pressed my face into the ground. I was then taken to police headquarters to be processed.

It seems that Officer Donnadio was very upset with me in that she applied the handcuffs far tighter then was needed. This caused me great pain while in transit, which I indicated to the officers. That information seemed to please Officer Donnadio, who told me to shut up. Once we arrived, I was forced to lie on the cold floor for approximately ninety minutes until I was released – still handcuffed, moaning in pain the entire time due to the misapplication of the handcuffs. My insistence that I needed medical attention went unanswered by Officer White, who observed my condition from the time I arrived, until I was released.

I left the police station with severe pain in my shoulder, hoping that it would feel better by morning. When the pain persisted the next day I went to the hospital. The X-rays showed that I suffered a separated shoulder and torn ligaments.
    It’s bad enough to fear that NJ Transit offices would write a summons that is unwarranted simply because they feel that someone offended them. It becomes worse when those same officers will take someone into custody if that person refuses their unreasonable demands in response to their demonstrating their authority. However, if it were known that these officers had applied handcuffs to a dog so tightly to cause physical pain and damage, and forced that dog to lie on the ground like that for one and a half hours, most would consider that to be animal cruelty. For them to do this to another person is inexcusable.

It is my opinion, having suffered at the hands of these two officers, that they don’t deserve the honor to wear the badge that they have disgraced.

If I had been aware at the time that New Jersey Transit provided a forum to voice my outrage regarding my mistreatment by these officers, I would have conveyed this to you two years ago.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

James Blaney
    51 Washington Street
    Morristown, NJ 07960

• Je
      22nd of Jul, 2010

NJ Transit is the worst! Worst employees (they make DMV look humble) and worst managing of a systematic (or lack of system) mass trans!

Isn't int strange how close to quitting time (4-6pm) there's a "switch" problem. Or some train breaks down? It's happened way to many times. NJ Transit shouldn't be surprised when people are upset. We're paying way too much for very [censored] service.

• Or
      10th of Nov, 2010

ALL THE COMPLAINTS ABOUT NJ TRANSIT ARE VERY VERY TRUE. THE WORST PEOPLE EVER WORK OR MANAGE THAT COMPANY. RUDE AND IRRESPONSIBLE PEOPLE ...PLEASE PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATE MAKE CHANGES OR SHUT THAT COMPANY!
    PERSONALLY I FOUND MY SELF IN A THREATING SITUATION WITH ONE OF THE PASSENGERS WHO LOOKED DANGEROUS AND UNDER DRUG USE. I REPORTED THE SITUATION TO THE BUS DRIVER WHO DIDN'T DO PRACTICALLY MUCH .HE KEPT THE GUY ON THE BUS AND ME A YOUNG FEMALE I HAD TO GET OUT OF THE BUS AT 10 PM AT NIGHT .
    THAT BUS DRIVER WILL BE MORE RESPONSIBLE NEXT TIME WHEN THIS SITUATION HAPPENS TO HIS DAUGHTER OR GRANDDAUGHTER.

• Ms
      2nd of Dec, 2011

i take train 3815 everyday from penn station mew york to new brunswick. the driver of the train just cruises to reach destination. he is fashionably 10 to i5 minutes late affecting my work schedule. i have called new jersey on several occasions. no steps have been taken to correct the situation. today the train reached at 7.10 am. there was no inclement weather situation, yesterday it was the same ordeal. can a supervisor look into the matter and contact me at my work 732 745 8590 and ask for anu. i have a data about train 3815 about perssitent delays with schedule. i will be happy to proviide the data for the last two years. can a supervisor please me contact me at my work number

26th of Apr, 2014
    NJ Transit - Missing schedule
    NJ Transit

I just came off of the 166T on Saturday April 26, 2014 that was supposed to leave at 5:30PM. I waited more than 100 minutes for this bus to arrive at its gate, which then left at 6:50PM, and left under its capacity despite an extremely long line of customers. No apologies nor explanation was given to the customers, . There was also another bus employee sitting in the front seat who also got off of the bus before its first stop at a gas station in Palisades Park, violating passenger safety rules of NJ Transit.

14th of Aug, 2018
    NJ Transit - 113N 9:05pm

This is a joke!!! Every night the 9:05pm arrives half an hour late!! I check the satellite, no traffic! WT[censored] This is ridiculous!! In the night and in the morning as well. This is the worst bus line there is!!! I'm moving out of NJ just so I don't have to deal with this [censored]!! Can't even get the website to work correctly!

• 59
    NJ Transit - Bus terminal Lakewood nj
    Lakewood nj

On July 11 I guy name Fred harassing me the guards do nothing for it it's the night guard people beg u for money but this guy Fred just was letting him and friends hang out inside it was 4 30 am my name is Mark trayner you can reach me at 732 278 5347 t y pls take care of this today

NJ Transit Bus - Bus 167Q
    Hackensack
    New Jersey

I am at the busy stop for a 6:26 bus Ana it's 6:41 and there is no bus. This is a constant issue. All the 167T & 177 come on time and Th 167Q gets by passed. Unacceptable for people that have to keep to a schedule. @ 6:44 # 7443 the missed bus and the bus that is on time is now here.

• Gf
    NJ Transit - Train service
    Millburn
    New Jersey

From top to bottom this is a horribly run institution. Constant delays, over crowed trains .. I could go on and on..it's an absolute travesty that a super power has a train system which is third world caliber.

• Mc
    NJ Transit - bus
    Lodi
    New Jersey

Bus 151 did not arrive for the 7:46-7:50, 7:52 or 7:55 shift. Late to work 1/2 hour. Any issues ?

• Il
    NJ Transit - Train
    Newark
    New York

The train 5413 from Newark (7.59 am) for Raritan is ALWAYS late every single day. It's not possible, people like me can't go work always late!!!

• Pi
    NJ Transit - Nj transit worker

I was on the train 11:06 to Trenton getting off at Elizabeth when the train crew member flips the seat while my bag was there causing it to fall to the floor then states I'm in charge here you're a passenger then goes on to calling me ignorant and other names then threatens me bye saying I will have you removed from the train

• Ni
    NJ Transit - I am complaining about a accident i was in on nj trasit
    Irvington nj
    Lewisnnj@gmail.com

My name is niadeia I was on the bus the bus was going to fast and made a wide turn a crash into a parked car i was sitting where the crash happend and was injured. I need help from nj transit to help with my issues

• Na
    NJ Transit - Bus route 126 Hoboken Path via Willow ave
    Hoboken
    New Jersey

Bus 126 on willow avenue in Hoboken does not stop during morning commute! I was waiting for the bus today, April 3rd, from 7:45 to 8:15 - none of the buses would stop! Buses would go with signs "not in service ", the drivers see over 20 people waiting, and would not stop for passengers!!

• Am
      20th of Aug, 2018
    NJ Transit - My Daughter Chin.
    Trenton
    New Jersey

I Was Riding The 601 Nj Transit & The bus driver didnt look to see if my daughter was sitting down ( I had my two daughter & my son with me ) my mom & lil brother was also on the bus. He pulled off not knowning my daughter wasnt sitting down and she hit her mouth and chin on the seat. Now she had a bruise on her chin. It was bus number 5562.

• Sj
      26th of Aug, 2018
    NJ Transit - 158
    New Jersey

Late again. No bus at Lincoln harbor for over an hour during rush hour. Not a reliable service into the city.

• Ne
      28th of Aug, 2018
    NJ Transit - 165FP 6:43am STOP #11504 Soldier Hill Rd and Livingston Ct, Paramus

The 165FP 6:43am STOP #11504 Soldier Hill Rd and Livingston Ct, Paramus comes one day than its off others. We have been left waiting for this bus only to be disappointed when the bus does not show. We are left waiting for the next bus 7:09am. Sometime waiting more than 25 minutes in the cold.

Bus did not arrived on:
    Thurs 2/1
    Tues 2/6
    Wed 2/7

• As
      1st of Sep, 2018
    NJ Transit - Lost Items On Board
    New York

I recently took the NJ transit 10:07 pm train from New York Penn Station to Newark Penn Station. I left a bag of important documents on board of the train while getting off. If anyone has seen this bag please email me at asvora81@gmail.com.