Nissan North America / llack of service and lack of goodwill on the part of nissan north america

United States Review updated:
4.45
Nissan North America
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN [protected]
www.nissan.com

We own a 2002 Nissan Altima which we took into the dealer to have the spark plugs replaced. Car had close to 120000 miles with the original plugs. The service manual states to replace plugs at 105000 miles. While removing the plugs one broke off because it had been put in too tight, the head had to be removed and taken to a machine shop to drill and tap out the broken off plug. This cost me $1501. When reporting this to Nissan Consumer Affairs, I was told had this occurred while still under warranty (60000 miles) Nissan would have assumed the responsibility for this cost. But why would I replace spark plugs at 60000 miles when car was operation perfectly and your service manual states to replace plugs at 105000 miles???

I am completely amazed at this lack of service and lack of goodwill on the part of Nissan North America.
Va

Comments

Sc
  29th of Dec, 2007
I must agree with the service that Nissan is providing. I have a 2006 Nissan Altima. It now has 35000 miles on it and it has been in the shop over 20 times. Everytime I have taken it to the dealer. The dealer service is just as poor as Nissan servcie. DON'T EVER BUY FROM DENNIS DILLION IN BOISE IDAHO. I have a radiator leak that I have taken into Bronco Nissan 6 times now and I can still smell the radiator fluid when I park it in my garage. This is after a brand new motor was installed in it due to the recall. Check your VIN you are probably on the recall list for a new motor. I have spen countless hours trying to get this thing running the way it should. I was always told that Nissan has vehicles that run well and don't break down. NOT TRUE! I have replaced everthing from the computer, brakes (less than 7000 miles rotors needed turned due to squealing), radiator cap, motor, clicking everytime I stop in the automatic gear shift (they say this can't be fixed so I have to listen to a click evertime I stop) This is suppsed to be the saftey latch that keeps you from throwing it in reverse. Let's see I have had to have them fix bubbleing in the window tint, front grill peeling off the paint, Oil leak in the front left axel, clamps on the radiator hose, seal 0-ring that was leaking radiator fluid. When the computer was installed Dennis Dillion said that the odometer was at zero and it was not so when I went to take it in for another service they then said it was out of warranty. I have taken the vehicle in for the 30,000 mile service that cost $700.00 and then I was told I needed a new motor after I had that done. That is just not right. Trust me on this DON'T BUY A NISSAN UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET TO KNOW YOUR SERVICE GUYS ON A FIRST NAME BASIS. I HAVE SPENT SO MUCH TIME ON THIS VEHICLE TAKING IT IN TO BE FIXED. I have a 94 GMC truck that gives me less trouble then a brand new Nissan. After all of this and talking to Nissan North America so called customer service I can't get my phone call returned after they stated a day that they would. I have called twice now with no returned call. I think the dealer on the dirt lot would give better customer service! regards, Scott
As
  25th of Jan, 2008
I also agree with the service from Nissan. I have a 2001 Altima with 54,000 miles on it. On August 18, 2007 I was involved in an accident where the left side air bag blew. After 5 months I still don't have my car because we (Royal Motor Group in Cortland NY) are waiting for parts. I had over $6,000.00 in damages to this car ranging from new front and rear fenders and doors on the driver side, new rim, new leather seat beacuse the air bag was in the seat, ect. The part we were waiting for was the left side impact sensor for the air bag. Nissan North America had sent Royal this part several times but it won't fit in my car. Come to find out 3 weeks ago Nissan no longer makes that part. Royal had to overnight (1/8/08) Nissan the bad part from my car so they could spec, mold, make and sent the correct part back to us. Nissan called Royal looking for the part because after a week they hadn't received it yet. Come to find out they did receive the part on 1/9/08, but they couldn't find it. This was the last straw for me - called BBB to file an offical complaint against Nissan North America. Amazingly on 1/18/08 Royal received the part. Now I am waiting for the Main Airbag Module because the airbag light won't go off. So now the total repair bill is close to $7,000.00. All the while I was in constant contact with Nissan North America's Part Coordinator for Northeastern US Alexis McCleary, who I might add was worthless. They parise themselved on great customer satisfaction, which I don't understand. I was also informed today what i will not receive any compensation for my car being down for 4 months because they didn't have the brains enough to realise that this was a part they no longer made. It is pretty sad when the body shop and the parts department at Royal know my voice when I call, I don't even have to say my name. I for one will never buy another Nissan again.
Mu
  17th of Mar, 2010
I have a 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe I bought new. I had nothing but PROBLEMS, never buy one from PETRO AUTOMOTIVE in Hattiesburg, MS.. They are eager to sell but not eager to fix. I am yet to get an owners manual. My car wouldn't start for several months I would get stranded and have to have my car jumped off. Petro said I couldn't get a battery because the reports that were run from to different machines didn't detect that my battery was bad. I had to keep jumper cables in my new car because I never knew when or where I would be stranded. Finely after numerous attempts they replaced battery and said mfg. put the bracket on too tight and the acid and water leaked out. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. My door locks randomly I have been locked out of my car with both sensors layin on front seat. My sunroof is broken I was going down the road and the black part that sunroof fits into when closed, was standing up lopsided for the world to see. The day I puchased my car seen trunk liner was falling down, have had several attempts to fix it but I always get the runaround. Try talking, or emailing the owner and get NO response. He has time to get on FB on show off his AIR PLANE, BOAT, AND VACATION PICTURES.
Sm
  10th of May, 2010
I am going through a nightmare of a recall situation with their Ontario office and Jose Velija. Their department is designed to not service their clients so they get fed up and pay for the recalled part because we have been out a car going on 3 weeks because of Nissan's apathy and lack of HUMAN rights service, let along consumer rights.
Sa
  7th of Aug, 2010
WOW! I am not suprised that other people are having the same nightmare I am. I took my vehicle to the same dealership I bought it from in 2002 for service recently. Upon checking it in, they told me it had two open recalls! After several weeks of rental car bills, and no responses from Nissan North America, I folded and paid the 1525.25 repair bill. They charged me 1070.00 to install a new ECU (that was part of the 1st recall), and 455.25 to install a new fuel injector. The ECU which was part of the first recall, failed to fix the problem, so they told me I needed an injector as well. I tried to reason with the service manager...why would I pay 1070.00 for a new ECU if my car runs exactly the same after the new part was installed? I was told there was nothing they could do. Nissan North America never called me back, and never contacted the dealer. I called them everyday for 15 days, and was assured on several occasions that I would receive a call from a manager...never did. When I asked if there was someone else I could speak to they said "no". I have owned Nissans for almost 15 years. NEVER AGAIN.
Mi
  15th of Oct, 2010
I agree with all the comments! I purchased a 2010 Nissan Altima 2 months and 11 days ago. All of the sudden my brakes started failing and I nearly had an accident. I took it to the dealership I purchased it from and after having their "super tech" take it for a test drive, I was told it scared the heck out of him because when he went to use the brake, it felt like it wasn't going to stop then it suddenly grabbed and he thought he hit something! I'm sure glad he wasn't me having to drive home on the highway in heavy traffic the night it started happening everytime I tried to use the brakes! They contacted Nissan and explained what was going on and I was told it was the brake booster. That they must have gotten a bad batch of them on the assembly line when the car was being built. They said they had to order it and it should be in the next day. Nope. Then I was told it would more then likely be in the next day after that. Nope, again. Now I'm being told it should be in the beginning of next week. I'm not holding my breath on that one. I'm sick to death about this. I bought a brand new car, only to have it sit in the shop for a week and counting, because they said it was too dangerous to drive. Its going to feel real good writing a check for my 2nd car payment for a car that's not even in my driveway. :(
Up
  6th of Dec, 2010
I understand. I too am having problems with my 2005 Nissan Altima. I have replaced 3 sensors, Cam, O2, and Crank. I was suprised to see that there was a recall, however my VIN number was not on the list!!! Nissan North American stated there was nothing that they can do. Gish. Thanks alot!
Br
  20th of Apr, 2011
nissan is totally loosing business with the decision that company is making with it's customer, I have a 2008 Altima SL that i bought brand new and already had problems with the computer system, Guess what 'even know i have the GOLD protection Plan' Nissan turned me down and i have to pay for repairs---------First and last nissan in the family!!!
Sc
  27th of Jul, 2011
I have a 2004 Maxima SE, loaded with ev.but GPS.I am on my 3rd set of tires with only 91, 000 miles on it.Transmission is slipping.interior is total crap, scratches from the cheap finish on the console and door trim.Uneven glove compartment door, console finish peeling right off, ouyside chrome strips that run along the roof, been replaced once, already peeling, and now i have to replace my motor and regulator for my driver's side window.Wow, love the qulity i got out of this 32 thousand dollar car I bought brand new.Never again, it will be a Ford.Have had 2 previous ones, and even traded my last one in on this Maxima.Boy, do I regret that..sorry quality for such a pricey car..sad...
Jt
  22nd of Sep, 2011
I agree wholeheartedly. I cannot even get in contact with Consumer Affairs. Been on hold with them for over 3 hours. Initial phone number asks for an MCI charge card. Guess that way, they don't hear any complaints. Been waiting for two months for a resolution on extended service plans.
Lj
  19th of Apr, 2012
Although Nissan produces good automobiles, I am currently working there and I hate it. It was related to us in training that Nissan has workers friendly policy, and a code ethics policy that each employee must follow. I have found that not to be true at all. We were told about the training we were suppose to recieve; did not go that way. Didn't happen. The manager in the zone Truck trim, zone 2 have had relations with employees over there and up hold them in all there wrong because work in that zone as a technician, yet, he was promoted in that zone. The defects he does not report. He fix them and move on. They are stopping the line because the off line people don't want to assist the new people with their work. Not all does that in that particular zone. They boost about how Nissan will get rid of temp workers before firing them. You report things and nothing is done to change things. Truck trim, Zone 2 could be a great place to work, if some of the trouble makers over there were eliminated. As they say " they aren't going anywhere", and I believe it. Nissan is a great place to work over all. The mindset of the people there is just outrageous. The manager told me that the SOS job allocation is not considered as a requirement for Nissan anymore. I know that is a ly because Ashley just told us all the things that will be used on the floor and need to be signed off on once we have completed our training. Since I am the whistle blower, It's best to eliminate me. This comment isn't just for me, it's for all the people that are coming in wether it be under Kelly, Minact, and so on. We deserve to be treated with respect. If we didn't need our jobs, we would not have wasted time applying. I have noticed people that have been there 9 & 10 years think they own the place. they think they can't be removed, and I believe it. I have been told that I will be sent to training to get certified, but I know that's a reason to get rid of me. I am a long ways form being slow. Everyone is sweeping things up under the rug and doing nothing to maintain that workers friendly enviroment. I filed a complaint and no one was question about anything, nor was nothing said. I guess that's the NISSAN WAY tho.
Jm
  20th of Aug, 2012
I work at nissan, also. I work around the Metal line. It is not so bad, but there are a lot of things I see wrong with the people. I know one lady just started there at in january and she has been cheating on her husband, who she said has a tumor on hos brain and cant work right now, with another person and a supervisor who told her he would help her get on with nissan and move up when she goes to 2nd shift. The supervisor has already been in trouble for messing with people on the line and talks about at least two other women he is with. I really wouldnt care if I didnt have to hear about it and Chris would help train us instead of talking to Jackie and Shannon all the time. They tell us we need to volunteer for more overtime, but always asks them first. I said something to my manager and I havent seen anything done yet. Between not getting the proper training and being distracted having to hear them tell me their all of their business, I want to quit sometimes.
Mr
  13th of May, 2014
1. We purchased a luxury vehicle through NMAC for the past 2years and they are terrible. I have been paying the same price for 2 years with no drop in payment, when I asked about it they fixed it. The next month I was late with a payment and it went back to the previous price with no explanation. I spoke with a so called supervisor, to which I was told it went back to that price because I miss a payment. That makes no sense. They have held my payment, and also lost my payments and also applied my payment to someone else’s account
2. We recently moved and needed them to send the title to the new state so we could register our car. Problem this was after calling her every few days to see where it was. This left us with an unregister vehicle for 10 days. I called back and then I was told that they will not send the copy of the title until the payment is made. They should have said this from the start when I contacted them. 10 days ago. Was told that all the fax machine in the company were down after I wanted to speak to a manager about the rep lying about the fax. But I had my friend at the dealer send a fax and they received it. In summary--THEY HAVE LOST EVERYTHING I HAVE SENT THEM, and it is apparently not their problem
After changing my address with them 4 times over the phone it was never updated, until 1 month later
Ch
  29th of Jun, 2015
Letter to Nissan Nashville.

June 30, 2015

General Manager
Nashville Nissan
25 Vantage Way
Nashville TN 37228
RE: 5N1ED28T23C62531

Dear Sir or Madam;

Good morning. I am writing you to express my frustrations with your Service Department over the last year. In this letter I will explain with detail the occurrences which led me to a decision to part ways with your company.
On June 17, 2014 I brought my Nissan XTerra to your dealership for the first time. I bought my SUV from a private party, and needed key copies. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I arrived and there was not a charge for this service. At that time you were held in high regard.
On August 28, 2014 my water pump and radiator succumbed to heat. While under the hood I agreed timing belt should be changed, as this was an original part with 140, 000 miles. I knew this would be an expensive repair. It was not my wish to carry $3100.00 in cash. Also, debit cards usually have a limit much lower than $3100. So I went to my bank and got a cashier's check for exact amount.
I was insulted when your service advisor and cashier took mu driver's license information. This was a check for certified funds. I asked cashier and service advisor if they were aware of this concept. They said yes, but continued punching my information into your transaction approval pad. I offered my bank's phone number and teller name to expedite this process. Eventually your computer was so gracious to approve certified funds.
After a few more visits for occasional squeaks, brakes, lube, oil changes I encountered a broken starter on October 21, 2014. Servcie advisor told me problem was an after market starter. I approved a Nissan manufactured part. I was also advised a small oil leak would eventually require a new gasket, but oil leak was fine for now.
Little did I know this leak was ruining my starter. Had the service advisor told me this, I would have authorized oil gasket change at same time. Oil gasket was changed April 13, 2015.
April 13 I also experience a "check engine" light due to a faulty sensor. Sensor was changed. I paid my bill, drove seven miles before "check engine" light reappeared. I was furious and brought my XTerra back to your service department on April 15. A vacuum hose had worked its way loose. Even worse, at first repair apparntly no one took SUV for a test drive. This was an unnecessary re-repair that made my trip to work very inconvenient.
Finally, in late June the SUV starter failed again. My repair was over mileage warranty. I was told the oil leak had drenched starter. Here I stood, having bought two batteries and one starter more than what was needed.
June 25 was the last straw. I am glad you applied a discount to my repair, and let me have two days' car rental free. However this is too little, too late. After spending more than $7700.00 in your shop, I would expect a free rental, or at the least full disclsoure and repair of my problems.
I am willing to admit buying a private party used car comes with risk. But you were unable to fix, the first time, some of my car's problems.
You lost a customer. I will certainly and politely dissuade my friends from visiting Nashville Nissan. I do not have time or patience for such inept communication and repair. I shall take my business elsewhere.

Yours truly,

Nashville Nissan
25 Vantage Way
Nashville TN 37228

Dear Sir or Madam;

I was insulted when your service adviser and cashier took mu driver's license information. This was a check for certified funds. I asked cashier and service adviser if they were aware of this concept. They said yes, but continued punching my information into your transaction approval pad. I offered my bank's phone number and teller name to expedite this process. Eventually your computer was so gracious to approve certified funds.
After a few more visits for occasional squeaks, brakes, lube, oil changes I encountered a broken starter on October 21, 2014. Service adviser told me problem was an after market starter. I approved a Nissan manufactured part. I was also advised a small oil leak would eventually require a new gasket, but oil leak was fine for now.
Little did I know this leak was ruining my starter. Had the service adviser told me this, I would have authorized oil gasket change at same time. Oil gasket was changed April 13, 2015.
April 13 I also experience a "check engine" light due to a faulty sensor. Sensor was changed. I paid my bill, drove seven miles before "check engine" light reappeared. I was furious and brought my XTerra back to your service department on April 15. A vacuum hose had worked its way loose. Even worse, at first repair apparently no one took SUV for a test drive. This was an unnecessary re-repair that made my trip to work very inconvenient.
June 25 was the last straw. I am glad you applied a discount to my repair, and let me have two days' car rental free. However this is too little, too late. After spending more than $7700.00 in your shop, I would expect a free rental, or at the least full disclosure and repair of my problems.

Yours truly,