Nike / football boots

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

Because he loves Ronaldo we bought my son a 2nd pair of football boots.
The first pair he had to stop wearing because of the smell - like really strong cat pee.
But guess what after playing a football game in really wet weather the second pair stink exactly the same - terrible, unwearable!!!
Don't buy - Junior.

Comments

24th of Aug, 2008

I totally agree with you. My son has had his T90 for four weeks now and we cannot keep them indoors anymore because of the horrible smell. Socks his has worn in them have adapted the smell too, and the smell does not disappear after washing them several times.
    What to do? Does Nike do anything about this?

• Ka
      24th of Aug, 2008

Same thing with my son's boots, another neighbout confirmed her daughter's boots smell like cat urine as well...it's disgusting!!! Hopefully Nike will send a credit for a new pair??

15th of Sep, 2008

Oh my goodness!!! I have just spent half a day soaking my son's Nike total ninety boots in vinegar, I've put them twice through the washing machine and have all but given up on getting rid of the horrible cat pee smell. I thought the cat had peed in them. I'm going to make some sounds at the Nike shop now...

• Ca
      18th of Sep, 2008

My son has Nike T90 boots and the smell after getting wet is unbearable - a tom cat in the house would smell better!
    Four players in his team have the same problem as do several players in a friends team (all witn Nike boots). Players with other makes of boots who have played the same matches are fine.

• Pd
      23rd of Sep, 2008

We are also suffering with nike football boots smelling of cat pee! It is quite dreadful.

Is there a solution? What are Nike doing about this??

24th of Sep, 2008

Also have Nike 90 and the stink!!! Just like cats wee. Another Mother had the same problem with her sons and she took them back to the shop and had a huge problem changing them.
    Any response from NIKE!!!

• Jg
      25th of Sep, 2008

Don't bother trying to get Sport & Soccer to take any action. Their attitude is tough luck, indeed thet tried to make it seem that we were not looking after the boots properly. Spoke to the Customer Services Manager, who had clearly been told to just stomewall any complaints.

Suggest no-one buys boots from them or their related companies.

Wrote to Nike, who have suggested sending the boots back for them to inspect. Can't believe they are not already aware of the size of the problem.
    At least they were more sympathetic that useless SPORT & SOCCER.

30th of Sep, 2008

just an update - sent two emails to Nike customer relations now and no response just some automated email response saying they are experiencing lots of emails and will get back to me. What terrible customer services! I will try the shop now where we bought them...

30th of Sep, 2008

Had a reply from Nike. Have been told to take the boots back to the shop.

• Pd
      30th of Sep, 2008

Had reply from Nike - suggested I try shop or return to them. We are going to return to Nike - am also going to sent copy of all above comments! Think it could take a while to get any response but think returning them to shop could be difficult.

30th of Sep, 2008

Just want to aggree with all of the above comments, my son's boots have the same bad smell and so do several of the boys from his football team. A company the size of Nike can afford a recall or pay the consequences as myself and the other parents have decided not the buy Nike Football boots again

• Sh
      3rd of Oct, 2008

We have gone through 3 pair just for spring and fall soccer. All 3 pair stink to high heaven. Makes you want to gag. Most of the kids on our select team have the same issue. We have owned the old total 90's and did not have a problem with the smell at all. I think Nike changed the kind of synthetic leather (Soft PVC-free synthetic leather "maybe they should put the PVC's back in") they use and I'm guessing they are well aware of the problem but don't want to fix it

. I'm trying to find exactly what the old 90's were made out of, to compare the shoes. It is a shame that many of us long devoted Nike fans will be switching to Adidas. Nothing wrong with Adidas, Nike is one of our sponsors and I hate to switch but we all have to breathe fresh air. Sorry Nike. Fix the problem and I’ll be more then happy to come back. If anyone knows what kind of leather the old shoes were made out I’d love to know.

• Na
      8th of Oct, 2008

I have just come online to find out how to complain to Nike about this dreadful smell! Glad it isn't just me! The first time they wore them and left them in the porch I thought a cat had got in! They reek to high heaven and nothing can get rid of the stink! I have two boys with matching boots and it is awful. Any suggestions on who to call?
    Thanks

• Ju
      14th of Oct, 2008

i would like to say also my sons football boots stink of cats pee they cost a 100pound and only had 4 weeks .How do i get rid of smell.Thanks

14th of Oct, 2008

Just come on the computer to see why my sons football (Nike) were smelling and stumbled upon a thread dedicated to the smell... stinking the house out but have to leave them here in order to dry them - I can tell you however that immersing them in a bucket of water containing fabric softener doesn't help the smell!!

Hello again.

I suggest the following customer service person should be contacted by everyone on this forum. Tracey.Mitchinson@nike.com.

Don't get excited, this person at Nike UK will send you some cut and paste response along the lines of .."We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding the performance of the item you have purchased. It is through such feedback from our customers, both positive and negative, that we can continue to introduce as many quality measures as possible to combat such issues in the future", ...blah blah.

They will finally tell you to go back to the shop or Nike will 'inspect' them at their UK office if your shop won't take them back. This person is aware of all the complaints on this site as I directed her to it and yet surpisingly the company is not recalling its faulty footware or giving immediate refunds to customers. Poor skills really. By the way Tracey endeavours to get back to you withint 24 hours of your email being sent. Good luck!

• Sh
      15th of Oct, 2008

its not just nike... got 2 sons whose boots both smell of cats pee, one are nike the other adidas... washed them still stink!!!

• Le
      15th of Oct, 2008

OMG (OH MY GOSH!!!) I though I was the only one who's sons trainers smell so disgusting.

I have two sons with these trainers and both pairs smell as bad as each other!! I certainly won't be buying total 90 trainers again. I agree with another poster, I never used to have this problem with the older style of toal 90's.

Having looked, the old style were made in Vietnam and the newer style is made in Indonesia although I cannot see on either of the styles what fabric has been used. Whatever it is, it is certainly to Nikes detriment!!

I have sent an e-mail to Tracey at Nike. Let's see what is suggested that's if I even get a reply.

• Da
      15th of Oct, 2008

We are also having to suffer the same dreadful smell and the boots have to live in the shed. If Nike are unwilling to respond to these complaints then I'm afraid it's goodbye to Nike for ever. There is plenty of competition out there and of course I will be telling all of our friends about our experience of Nike after sales service.

• Le
      15th of Oct, 2008

Here is the reply that I got from Tracey of Nike... not really that much help.

Thank you for your reply and the details you have provided. The correct email address for advice and information regarding Nike products or information about Nike UK is consumer.affairs.gbr@nike.com . The address which has been posted on the link you kindly provided is my personal email address.

Here at Nike UK Ltd, we do not have an onsite inspection facility, therefore do not receive product back directly. We entrust all our retailers to adhere to the guidelines set by trading standards with regards to returns, and any feedback with respects to quality and performance is reported to Nike via the retailer through the defectives procedure in place.

As a consumer your legal contract is held with the retailer. However If you have tried to return the footwear to the retailer already or if it is not possible for whatever reason, you can send certain products directly back to Nike for inspection.

If you wish to return the product to Nike, please return it to the address below using Special Delivery and ask the post office for a certificate of posting. If this service is not used Nike cannot be held responsible for goods lost in the post. We regret we are unable to refund postage costs.

Nike Returns

PF Box 184, Newcastle Depot

Unit 3A Princesway North

Team Valley Trading Estate

Gateshead NE11 0PS

In addition, please enclose a brief letter detailing the problems which have occurred with the product and any proof of purchase you may have. Please note that we need you to send both shoes.

On receipt by us, an external inspection team will inspect the product. Please allow 7 – 10 working days for this procedure. If the product is found to contain a defect, an alternative replacement will be issued. If however, for whatever reason, this is not possible, we will issue a credit which can be redeemed via Nike’s Consumer Affairs Department. The amount of the credit will reflect the age and wear of the product returned. Please note that we are unable to offer refunds. All refunds must be obtained through the original place of purchase only.

Please further note that the following cannot be accepted: -
    · Products evidencing excessive wear, misuse or alteration.

· A size, fit, or style selection complaint.

· Products older than 3 years from the original date of manufacture. The manufacturing date can be found on the tag inside the shoe.

· Seconds or other B-grade product, which is clearly indicated at point of sale.

Products purchased through a Nike Factory Outlet Store should be returned to the original outlet store or another Nike Outlet Store.

Finally, for your reference your legal contract is with the retailer.

Yours sincerely