Niagra Credit Solutions / Harrasing call

1 Buffalo, NY, United States Review updated:

I was called By this company, asking for a Woman named Claudia, I asked them who they were and what they wanted. They called Me dumb and stupid and hung up. Im really angry about this and want to as much to see them closed down. I will persist until I get an apology from this company. When I called Back and asked for one they hung up and said we will not do that.
They need to rethink that.

Ma
Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Th
      12th of Dec, 2012

@ manthissitesucks
    Great advice. I will be reposting it severally on this site and credit/quote you if that is ok with you. More people need this info.

• Re
      15th of Jul, 2011

"Since this poster didn't mention what the debt was FOR you might want to step back and reassess what you say. "

Whatever the debt was for is irrelevant."

Not exactly, in this case there is an admitted debt but we dont know what for. If it were for items like I have been sent to collections for, they have all the reasons to be upset.

I was sent to collections by a hospital 15 days after a procedure. I called my insurance to ask why they denied my claim and they said because the hospital NEVER contacted them for payment. Mind you, I went to a Dr. in that hospital before, so I know they had my information. I had to go through HOURS of calls with the collections agency, hospital and my insurance to get it all corrected, all the while I got letters and calls from the collection agency even after multiple times of telling them what was happening. I said I would send them a Do Not Contact letter and their reply was they would just take it to court and get a judgement against me.

now, in that situation, having a "debt" is relevant because in that case is was the gross negligence of the hospital to do its due diligence to get paid before sending me to collections. Not to mention, if they used a 3rd party, they sold it penny's on the dollar an are now getting some kind of tax break because they are showing a "loss" for my visit even though it would have been paid in full if they ever billed my insurance.

While the OP does have a debt, we are still unsure what it is. HOWEVER, just because they have a debt does not mean a collector can BREAK THE LAW. If you owed me money, and didnt pay, and I went and broke your car window to "even" things up. Guess what, Im getting arrested because I broke the law. The collection agency is doing the same thing.

My suggestion? Sent a Do not contact letter via certified mail with the greencard sent to you when they sign for the letter. When they call, tell them they are being recorded AND RECORD IT. Make sure you mention the Do not contact letter. Once you get this proof, take it to your state attorney, FTC (i believe that's right) or anyone else you can. Then if you can, check your laws for your state and see if you can sue the corporation.

15th of Jul, 2011

DEBT COLLECTION HARASSMENT

A federal law known as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act limits what debt collectors can do to harass you about debts. In most states, like Missouri, the state laws do not provide much protection against harassment. However, the federal law applies to all debt collectors, including attorneys.

The law applies only to "debt collectors." This means that the person calling you is collecting the debt that you owe to someone else. If the XYZ Company calls you directly to collect their debt, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act does not apply to them. However, if the XYZ Company hires a debt collection agency to collect the debts, the law does apply to the debt collection agency.

Debt collector contacts

A debt collector may contact you over the telephone, by mail, in person, or by fax. The debt collector cannot call you at unreasonable times or places. Typically, this means that they should not call you before 8:00 a.m. in the morning or after 9:00 p.m. at night unless you agree to let them call you at those hours. A debt collector may call you at work unless you let them know that their employer disapproves of this. If you do get contacted at work, immediately notify the debt collector if your employer prohibits this.

Stopping debt collection contacts

You can request that the collector stop contacting you. You should do this by writing a letter to the debt collection agency in addition to telling them over the telephone. Be sure to keep a copy of the letter for your own records. When the debt collection agency receives the letter, they should not contact you again except to tell you if they are going to take specific action concerning the debt.
    Debt collector contacts with other people

The debt collector may contact other people such as friends, relatives, or neighbors to find out information about where you live and work. Normally they can only contact these people once. In most cases, they are not allowed to tell these people about your debt, but only obtain information about your address and work.

If an attorney represents you on this debt, notify the debt collector of your attorney's name, address and phone number. The debt collector should then contact only the attorney.

What the debt collector must tell you

A debt collector may contact you initially by telephone. If they do, they are required to send you a written notice within five days telling you the amount of the debt you owe, the name of the creditor that you owe the money to, and what action you should take if you do not owe the money.
    Disputing the debt

If you do not owe all or part of the money that is being collected, you can request that the debt collector verify the debt. For example, if you signed a loan agreement, you can request that they send you a copy of this document. If you dispute the debt, you should notify the debt collector in writing within 30 days after you are first contacted by the collection agency. You should write them a letter explaining why you do not owe the money and requesting that they verify the debt. During the 30-day period after you are first contacted, the collection agency should not contact you again until they provide you proof of the debt.

Prohibited Harassment

Debt collectors can call you and request that you pay the debt. However, they cannot harass you or abuse you. These are the types of things that they should not do:

Use obscene or profane language.
    Make repeated frequent calls to annoy you.
    Telephone you without identifying themselves.
    Use threats of violence or harm against you.
    Threaten to arrest you if you do not pay the debt.
    Threaten to take action such as lawsuits, garnishments, or taking your property unless the collector intends to do so and it is legal. (Creditors must usually take you to court and get a court "judgment" against you before they are able to garnish your wages in Missouri.)

Debt collectors cannot make false statements about themselves or the debts. They cannot misrepresent:

they are government officials;
    that you have committed a crime;
    that they work for the "credit bureau";
    that the papers you received are legal summonses
    or legal papers, if they are not;
    the amount of your debt; or
    that there is an attorney involved, if there is not.

Debt collectors are also prohibited from:

depositing a post-dated check before it is due;
    threatening to take your property unless it is legal to do so;
    contacting you by postcard.

Payments on multiple debts

If you owe more than one debt to the same collector, you can specify the debt you are paying. If you clearly indicate that you are paying one account, the debt collector should apply the payment to the account you request. You should always keep records of your payments and correspondence with any debt collector.
    What if the debt collector has violated the law?

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act gives you a right to sue in state or federal court within one year from the violation. If you win, you can recover damages for your loss, court costs, and attorney's fees. Remember that the one-year period runs from the date the debt collector violated the law. You should act promptly to contact an attorney if you believe a debt collector has violated the law. If you fail to file your suit within one year of the violation, you lose your right to do so.

You can also notify the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) of violations. They cannot file lawsuits on your behalf, but they can investigate your complaints. Their address is: Consumer Response Center, Federal Trade Commission, Washington, D.C. 20580. You can also file a complaint through the Internet.

What should I do to prove my claim?

You should always keep copies of everything that the debt collection agency sends you. Use a file folder or large envelope and keep all of your letters together. Always keep copies of everything that you send to them.

When they call you, be sure to jot down notes of the exact words they used while talking to you on the telephone. Right after you hang up, write a summary of everything they told you, and what you told them. Note the date and time they called you. Be sure to write down their names and telephone numbers and the company they are with.
    Get help

If you believe you have been harassed by any debt collector, you should contact an attorney for specific legal advice on your problem. If you are elderly, or have low income, please call Legal Aid of Western Missouri for further information or advice.

Good luck to you!

13th of Jul, 2011

Regardless of HOW you choose to handle the debt situation most creditors hope the person they're trying to collect from don't know the law. Since it is illegal for them to harass you, I'd inform them that you have consulted an attorney. It is 100% illegal.
    Any poster here making comments that you deserve it and so on may not realize (or care) that debt collector harassment is illegal.
    Whether you pay the bill, or don'[t pay the bill, they cannot harass, call, threaten or anything in the meantime. If they persist, I would take legal action.

13th of Jul, 2011

Credit collectors are not allowed to harass you. It is illegal. Period.

• Re
      12th of Jul, 2011

Wow, you all are are super harsh. Some debts are things you would never imagine coming your way. Especially if it's anything to do with doctors, hospitals, and health insurance.

Two examples. -

My father is on VA and Medicare. He has an artificial vein in his arm that sometimes has to be cleaned out. VA is SUPPOSED to cover this, however the hospital will not charge VA, and instead charges Medicare. The bill my dad gets in the mail ( mind you, NEVER from the hospital, it's always automatically sent to collections) for this 3 hour max outpatient hospital stay and surgery? 16, 000. I wrote that right... SIXTEEN THOUSAND dollars owed AFTER insurance pays their share. Outrageous.

My personal example: I had multiple outpatient (some surgical) procedures done last year. Ultrasounds, barium X ray, colonoscopy, blood work ect. The total out of pocket cost for me was so much (1400 for the colonoscopy alone) that if my husband wasn't in school and had access to student loans there would have been NO way I could pay that debt in a manner that was timely enough to keep the hospital and doctors from sending me to collections.

Not to mention there was no diagnosis after all those procedures and he wanted to then schedule an endoscopy. I said no more and went to a different doctor. She was SHOCKED and the procedures he put me through because he did not follow normal protocol of doing less expensive, less invasive diagnostic tests first. I went through a colonoscopy in my 20's just to line this doctors pockets when all that was wrong with me was HEARTBURN!

Before you speak, you may want to think. You wouldn't allow someone to call your elderly friend or parent "vermin ###" because the Dr charges an arm and a leg for something just because they can.

The only thing I can hope for (if you REALLY are that rude an uncaring) is your username matches an e-mail you have and you loose your current or potential jobs when employers do an online activity background check.

12th of Jul, 2011

Get a cease a desist order. Have an attorney do that for you.

• Do
    Niagra Credit Solutions - harrassment at work
    420 Lawrence Bell Drive Ste #2
    Williamsville
    New York
    Phone: 716-681-6816
    niagaracs.com

Although I fully understand that the purpose and goal of this agency is to collect on past due debts, their approach and behavior is unacceptable. This company has not only made repeated phone calls to me at my place of employment, but they have gone as far as contacting my the Human Resources Department at my work, my immediate supervisor and even the Chief Executive Director of my Department. Additionally, they have made harrassing phone calls to my family members and made comments that we consider to be threatening, menacing and disturbing. These calls and behavior is completely unprofessional and should not be allowed. If necessary, not only will my family memberts but I will also be forced to pursue with legal action as needed for stalking and harrasment. I understand that this is a debt and I must fullfill my obligation, however, no person or citizen should feel threatened and there are laws against this type of behavior.

4th of May, 2011

Do Not buy from 2-10 Home warranty Co.

4th of May, 2011

This company needs a clas action law suit. They are a sham and rip off, P.O Box and shell game..Yje Attorney General needs to investigate this company along with the IRS.

• Ir
      4th of May, 2010
    Niagra Credit Solutions - harrassment at work
    niagra credit solutions
    Missouri

This company has been calling my home for over a year now looking for some one of whom I have never heard of before. Every time I tell them no one by that name lives here and to stop calling me they curse and yell and call me a liar. I am sick and tired of this harrassment. What can I do to make it stop?