NHS / Stop Smokimg / Child mimicking smoking

My 3 year old son has started to mimic smoking after seeing the advert for stop smoking he copies the little boy smoking a pencil and walks around like this saying i am smoking! None of our family smoke and we are all for anything that is in place to help smokers quit, but are having a nightmare trying to explain to our little boy that copying this is wrong. It makes me wonder how many other young children are being incorrectly influenced, perhaps it would be wise for this small part of the ad to be removed.

Comments

• Ga
      14th of Jul, 2008

I totally agre my 3 year old son is also copying this advert and we are having a mare trying to explain to him that this is nasty and that he should not do it.Worst of all anything he does his 19 month old brother tries to copy.It is rather irresponsible of the people who made the advert and also the people who passed this fit for television pre-watershed.

• El
      17th of Jul, 2008

I completely agree, we have a 2 year old daughter who constantly walks round with a crayon in her mouth pretending to smoke. She has never done this before and as soon as the advert comes on she runs up to the tv to watch the children then starts to copy. The advert is saying children copy what they see, we DONT smoke but thank you very much my daughter now tries to!

• Re
      18th of Jul, 2008

I totally agree my two year old was resently told off at nursery for walking around with a stick in his mouth pretending to smoke. When i approched him about it he told me 'mummy children can smoke on the telly'.This was absolutely heart breaking to hear from my little boys mouth.None of our family or friends smoke, but now because of an NHS advert my little boy wants to!

27th of Jul, 2008

I also agree, so strongly in fact that i have complained to ASA!! My 4 year old son has been pretending to smoke also and walks round saying "im smoking mummy!!" I am so annoyed that the people makng this advert did not have the intellegence to forsee the implications that this would have on young children! We are constantly told as a societythat we should "blame the parents" for our childrens behavior, yet no one in our house smokes! Somebody should take responsibility and remove this part of the advert!