NewspaperArchives.com / Content unavailable, due to &OUR& problems

United States Review updated:
I became a member of NewspaperArchives.com in June, 08. For two months, I was able to get information, but since that time, I have not been able to get into my county and some surrounding counties in Pa. My local newspaper is definitely unavailable ALL OF THE TIME "Due to errors and they are working on this and please be patient". It's been since the latter part of August and still it is not fixed. I have sent many letters, and their answer was, it should be one week and that was two months ago. The last email they sent back to me was two weeks ago, and they said they have to take it SLOW because they might very possibly lose a lot of newspaper content. Surely they have backup in case of such a loss. They have extended my subscription 4 months, and that has been almost used up and still no "got your errors fixed". So what I think that once you pay (NO REFUNDS), they make it so that your local lookups won't work. Perhaps it is possible that they save money by doing that. So, in all I had full use of their archives for 2-3 months, and now they are having all kinds of problems, blah, blah, blah. Maybe they need better tech support. I want to warn you all, don't buy unless you have money to waste.
Va

Comments

Ch
  5th of Jan, 2009
Customer Service is non-existant!! I also had "technical" problems...I never could log in. After asking for my password for several months, never got it. So I tried to cancel it. I sent numerous emails, and never heard back. I eventually forgot, as we all do. Until I was billed again 3 months later. So I sent numerous more emails, never heard back. I called and left countless messages. Finally got a call back saying they needed my email address to cancel it. So I went to the site to get the customer service phone number again...and they have removed it from the site. (guess they didn't like those pesky customers calling!) So I now sent another email, and will try to send a fax today (that is what they offer for "contact") Absolutely rediculous.

Sad thing is I used the site several years ago, and it was great. Found lots of good info. So I signed up again a few months back... and nothing but a disappointment now...
Aw
  28th of Dec, 2009
Hi, pay with a credit card and then their "no refunds" policy is not trumped by the Fair Credit Billing act. Anything that doesn't work right like this can be contested on your bill if you pay with a credit card, just be firm. I would like to say that your statement that they shut down access to your local newspapers is a bit paranoid. There is no massive conspiracy out to get you. Newspaper archives management and tech support is way too incompetent to even be able to shut you down. The service is wonderful when it works. Unfortunately a lot of the time the darn thing doesn't work. Writting tech support is a waste of time. They are very incompetent and unresponsive. What a shame it is, too.

NewspaperArchive.com Logo NewspaperArchive.com