Newport News / hidden charge of "free shipping"!

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 281-575-6907

I recently received a bill stating that I purchased an "Insider Pass" for 14.95 from an online purchase, under an odd [protected] number. When I looked up what the number was it was a hidden charge fee for "free shipping" from Newport-News.com. I think this is completely absurd because first of all I never got any Free Shipping whatsoever. And even if I did-they actually "secretly" charge you for it.

And who knows how many times they will charge my credit for this misleading and false shipping claim. Just wanted to give a heads up about this.

Comments

Ki
  9th of Apr, 2008

That exact thing just happened to me! I am going to dispute it on my credit card and talk to newport news directly. That is upsurd!

Ja
  20th of Aug, 2008

I placed an order online in August 2008. I placed my order with a 20% discount and no shipping. It GLADLY gave me my order total which they claim is "estimated" and they GLADLY charged my credit card.I noticed they cancelled an item in my order, this is how I noticed the problem since the total was still the same minus the item not shipped. Sadly, they would not honor and credit the mere $6.99 that they owe me. They prefer that you refuse the package, dispute it on your credit card and file complaints against them, Let's make this a BIG deal. Their online practices are quite poor. If a code was accepted, they should honor the code. Funny how some are accepted and some are not yet they claim that the codes have to go through a verification process. I put in a code that did not work so I found another in the slew of magazines they send you and the next one worked, yet somehow their so called verification process works for some and not for others.

They are simply making money on those that will not take the time to file a complaint or return and refuse their packages. Please put the word out there that NEWPORT NEWS does not run a good practices website. The customers are being victimized. For all we know, the websites with codes that she, the CS rep account person, kept referring to, are placed by one of their own in order to draw you in. BEWARE.!!! HTe price they are charging you MAY NOT be what you are charged. I think they just cancelled an item on me just to get the credit card balance to look the same. My original amount was 19.82 for 5 items and they charged me $19.62 for 4 items because one was "cancelled". I think they thought I may not notice and many people really do not!

BEWARE of NEWPORT NEWS...BAD, CORRUPT, INCOMPETENT online services

He
  7th of Oct, 2008

1ST LET ME TELL YOU THAT THE SAME THING JUST HAPPENED TO ME. I CHECKED MY BALANCE AND SAW THAT THOSE FOOLS SNUCK T HAT 14.95 IN. YOU KNOW I CALLED AND GOT MY MONEY BACK. THAT'S RIGHT, I CALLED NEWPORT NEWS.THE BROAD NAME WAS LINDA. SHE HAS A LITTLE ATTITUDE BECAUSE I CAUGHT THEM. SHE SAID SOME BULL ABOUT ME CLICKING ON SOME KIND OF MESS TO NOT BE CHARGED THE NEXT TIME I ORDER SOMETHING FROM THEM. I TOLD HER THEY BETTER GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK AND I OPTED OUT OF THAT MESS AND NOT TO PLAY WITH ME. I GAVE HER ATTITUDE RIGHT BACK THAT SHE WAS GIVING TO ME. AND I WILL CONTINUE TO EXPOSE THEM!!! BEWARE BECAUSE THEY WILL TRY TO SNEAK THAT CRAP BUT BE ON YOUR P'S AND Q'S.

Ch
  8th of Oct, 2008

I will NEVER again order from Newport News. It happened to me too. I have been being charged $14.95 out of my checking account since August 8, 2008. I called and they agreed to refund me two of the three charges with in 7-10 business days. We'll see how that goes.

Ak
  11th of Oct, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I just had the same thing happen to me. I purchased some swimsuits in July and just noticed on my checking account something called Inside Pass that has been showing up for the last couple of months. I did a search and thankfully found this website. It is scandalous. I called customer service and they said that I must have clicked on a pop-up and it authorized the company Insider Pass (877-518-7283) to charge me $14.95 a month for this service of free shipping in the future. Why would I need $180 dollars worth of shipping from Newport News, pray tell, in a years time? I will not be buying anything from their company anymore and I think that it is ridiculous that they allow consumers (their customers) to be treated in such a fashion.

Bw
  6th of May, 2009

i havent been charged the 14.95 i check my account and noticed 1.95 had been taken out. i know that not alot but thats a dollar that i wasnt willing to spend. i canceled the so-called service i signed up for that i am still unaware of and im calling the company.

Ra
  15th of Sep, 2009
Newport-News.com - Fraud
Newport-News.com

Newport-News.com is a disgrace and their customer service is indescribable. Don't ever order from them unless you are not planning to get a refund from them.

On 6/22/09 I placed an order with Newport-News.com and returned the merchandise which they received on 7/14/09. Their website states up to 30 days to receive a refund. It is now 9/14/09 and still no refund.

I've been calling leaving messages, calling customer service this whole time and no one gets back to me. Customer service is useless they tell me the same thing over and over again like robots. I've tried to contact people in corporate who transfer my emails to Michael Pettipas, Office of the President, who is another useless person that I can't get a hold of. His number is 1-800-443-4856. In case anyone needs it and might have better luck than me.

When you call in customer service. At first I was told 6 weeks to receive my refund, then another day they tell me 7 weeks. Then "give it a few more days". Today I was told 8 weeks, and that they start counting from the day the items are "processed", not the day they "receive" it. It is unacceptable to have my promptly returned items sit at the return facility for 3 weeks to wait for "processing", In 3 weeks I should have had my refund in my bank account. Just now customer service tells me the items were processed on 8/4 and I have to wait up to 6 weeks! This is not prompt, this is outrageous. When I pointed this out to the call center agents and I have asked them "Why don't you honor your return policy as stated on your website?" They say "well the website is incorrect". If it's incorrect why has not anyone corrected it. Furthermore nobody in customer service or corporate seems to care about it's customers, and no one can help me resolve this issue.

I believe this is false advertising and fraud what this company is doing and it's very bad business to take advantage of customers just because they are online. I believe their return policy is a ploy to try to steal people's money if nobody speaks up. There is no legitimate reason for this company to hold customer refunds for as long as they wish. If you state 30 days on your website, I suggest you honor it, I believe any loyal company would. This has never happened in any other place where I shop. Just because you are not face to face with a customer doesn't mean that good business practices are no longer suitable.

What they are doing is fraud and I can't believe they're getting away with doing this. I've made complaints to the BBB and Consumer Affairs who are useless and no help at all as well. I'm at the end of my rope and don't know what else to do. Don't buy from Newport-News.com/Spiegel Brands unless you want to go through this dilema with their refund system. And what's funny is I did make another order after the one I'm having problems with and had to make an exchange. It took less than two weeks for them to process my exchange!! But still no refund. I know it's because I made a purchase and not a refund. I hope they shut down one day.

Kk
  25th of Sep, 2009

Same thing happened to me - except instead of finally giving me a refund, they gave me a certificate for the amount of my purchase short $6.99 for a "Return Processing Fee" and the certificate is only good at Newport News. This is dispite the fact that my return was made within 30 days after the original order date. I HATE NEWPORT NEWS! THIEVES!

Ma
  3rd of Jan, 2010

I too am a victim of "Inside Pass" via Newport News. When I received mail for Inside Pass I tried to cancel. I am doing my 2009 taxes, reviewing my checking account online, seeing $14.95 per month for Inside Pass. I telephone and can not get a person, just a recording.

Ma
  3rd of Jan, 2010

Inside Pass charged me 14.95 per month for nothing for 6 months after I cancelled. I want my money back! I cannot get a human being on the phone - just a recording.

Ro
  3rd of Jan, 2010

Same here. the wife ordered a dress from Newport News just before xmass and all of a sudden a $14.95 charge for Insiders pass shows up.
I'm sensitive to this because we just noted a similar scam from Proflowers and Easy Saver. ( That one got me for a years + worth of $15/month charges) Turns out both scam companies are the same one!! Encore Marketing. I'll dispute the charges and change the card # if I have too!.

In teh future, I'll be boycotting both these companies AND using a dedicated CC (or Paypal) for any over teh net purchases.

Tr
  24th of Oct, 2010
Newport-News.com - Return/Refund of Merchandise
Newport News
Newport News
Virginia
Phone: 1.800.828.2672
newport-news.com

I ordered three dresses and one bathing suit from Newport News on July 19, 2010. I did not like the way the items looked on me and the bathing suit did not fit, so I returned all four items on July 31, 2010, using the pre-paid UPS return label that came with my order. On August 6, 2010, I received an email confirming receipt of my order -- and then, I waited. After three weeks went by and the return of the items was not noted in Newport News's order system, I decided to dispute the charge with my credit card company. I had a previous bad experience with Newport News and I should have learned from that, but I decided to give them another chance. Well, FINALLY, on October 8, 2010, I got a credit on my credit card statement for the amount of the clothing minus the charge for the pre-paid return label. It should be over now, right? Not with Newport News, the email they sent me, which I didn't understand at the time, stated that they credited my credit card statement but that the charge would stay on my account until payment was received. WHAT?? Yes, they are still insisting that I owe them money for merchandise that I returned to them, that they acknowledged that they received. So while this should now be over, I still have to fight them to fix THEIR MISTAKE. This company is either incredibly unethical or incredibly incompetent. Either way, run, don't walk away from them. I can't say it in strong enough words that no one should EVER do business with them unless you're willing to lose your money.

"Customer Service" such that it is, is closed on the weekends (nice, huh?), so I'll be interested to hear the explanation from their customer service person tomorrow when I call them as to why they credited that amount back to my credit card if I did in fact owe them the money for this merchandise. I have sent them an email explaining this situation and THEIR ERROR, with a promise to follow through with filing a complaint with my state's attorney general, consumer protection and anyone else I can think of if they persist in attempting to collect this illegitimate debt. I may file the complaint anyway. Maybe it will help someone else understand what a bad company Newport News is so they can avoid the headache that I'm going through right now.

Hu
  17th of Dec, 2010
Newport-News.com - Return/Refund of Merchandise
Newport-news.com
newport-news.com

I ordered from this website. I recieved what I ordered, no problems. 2 weeks later my credit card was hit from 2 places and received bills from places I never ordered from. This took months to remove the charges from my credit card. I can only assume that my information from my credit card came from this site. I have never used it again, and so far have never had any issues with fraud again.

De
  20th of Jun, 2011
Newport-News.com - BE FOREVER WARNED!
Newport-News.com
Decatur
Georgia
daniel07@bellsouth.net

This complaint will serve to warn you that getting a credit from Newport-News.com has been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I am an avid on-line shopper. I have been ordering from this company for years and have never had to return an item, until now.

I ordered a coat from Newport-news.com in February, 2011 as a gift for my daughter. She did not like the way the coat looked on her so I returned the coat in Feb. The coat was charged, in the amount of $91.00, on my American Express card. I sent an email on March 22, to Newport Customert Service asking the status of the credit, minus the charges for the return. I provided the customer #, Invoice #, ship date, the method of return and the UPS tracking number. This is the result from my numerous attempts for credit.

March 22, 2011 - Email from Newport-News Customer Service - apologizing for the delay and that I should allow one to two billing cycles for my return to be processed. The credit should appear on my next or following statement.

April 12, 2011 - I sent another email to Newport-News Customer Service requesting the status of the credit on the coat. Explaining the same scenerio as notated above.

April 13, 2011 - Email from Newport-News Customer Service advising they will process my return today. Please allow 3 - 5 business days for the credit to appear back to the original method of payment or for a gift card to be mailed if the items were returned after the 30 day return timeframe or if they were not in the original (new) condition when returned.

April 12, 2011 - I began to get really frustrated because the method of the return credit is starting to change.

April 26, 2011 - I sent another note to Newport-News NO Customer Service advising them that I had not received the credit and if the issues wasn't resolved soon with a credit, Newport will be loosing me as a customer.

April 27, 2011 - I received another note from Newport-News NO Customer Service again apologizing for the delay in processing my credit for the long black coat.

May 26, 2011 @ 8:26 p.m. EST, I called customer service to speak with a supervisor. The customer service agent was not very friendly, however, she stated she would send a Red Hot Priority to get the credit processed ASAP in 2 - 3 business days.

June 2, 2011 - I called again because the credit had not appeared on my American Express statement on line. The agent was again not very friendly, but she said I wold get a credit of $72.05 on my next statement.

As of today, June 20, 2011, I have not received the credit on my American Express card.

I have been more than patient with this company and as of today, will never order or do business with them them again. Once I've been burned by a company, I refuse to do business with them EVER again.

Fi
  21st of Jun, 2011

oh yes, they recieved three blouses and a jacket from me (sizing was wrong) and after two months of being told their "new return process" is holding things up or that will be processed today, or just plain being ignored, i called and was told i wasnt getting any refund because they filed bankruptcy. Any return after april 2011- they are basically stealing your money. ( I must metion that their return process has always been HORRIBLE.) I asked why werent customers informed of this? Oh that notice just went out today i was told. Right, its two weeks later and i still havent gotten any notice. If i had known this back in April- i never would have ordered. Or, i would have just kept the items and gave them away! Bet they are still taking orders from people using that newport news card!