Newport News / insider pass scam

I purchased an item from Newport News in January 2009. Today I realized that they've been charging me $14.95 a month as an Insider Pass membership. Apparently when you purchase an item from Newport news you are automatically enrolled in Insider Pass for a 30 day trial. After the 30 days are over, you are charged $14.95 a month for the membership. They claimed they mailed me information in regards to the membership, but I never received anything. If I'd known I was going to get these charges, I would have never bought anything from Newport News. I realized that the charges had been occuring for 5 months on my account. I called to cancel and found they have 2 options on their phone. One is to cancel and the other is to talk to a representative. If this is happening to you, talk to the representative. I told her I was pissed about the charges and what they were doing wasn't right, that I'd never received any information regarding the membership, and that I wanted the $76.70 credited back to me. The lady was very friendly about the situation even though I was not. I'm sure they get this all the time. She told me that the money was being credited back to my account and that my information would be out of the system once the credit occured.

BEWARE IF YOU'RE CONSIDERING PURCHASING THROUGH NEWPORT NEWS!!!

Wi

Comments

• Na
      16th of May, 2008
    Newport News - Terrible customer service!
    5100 City Line Road
    Hampton
    Virginia
    Phone: 1-800-828-2672
    www.newportnews.com

Newport News sent me the wrong item and what I did receive was in a mangled package, broken. The return shipping label was destroyed and not of use. They had already received payment through my credit card company. Instead of expediting shipment of the correct item ordered, I was told that I had to wait 7-10 days to receive another return shipping label in the mail. (What? - via Alaska???). Once they received the incorrect item, ONLY THEN would they send what I had actually ordered. If I wanted my item quicker, then they said that they would have to double-bill me for it and credit me later. I called my credit card company and filed a dispute. Newport News is not a customer friendly company - BEWARE. They screw -up but do not even try to appease the customer.

Also, they have used my phone number to call me at home to make sales. My phone number is on my state's "do not call" list to stop annoying consumer phone calls. Evidently Newport News does not check. I am reporting them for this invasion of my privacy, too.

• Be
      28th of May, 2008

I DID NOT RECIEVE AN ORDER, IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SENT OUT BY MAY 24 . I HAVENT HEARD FROM THEM BERTHA34

• Ki
      6th of Jun, 2008

Newport News are a bunch of crooks, I have had them mess up several orders and not fix them!
    So I waited a year and decided to give them another chance, I ordered the little green peasant
    dress from them and it just FELL APART the first time I wore it! It was a piece of pure trash!
    Looks like it was sewn together by three year olds the whole bottom tier came unraveled
    on the dress.
    I am about to contact this shiester company right now!
    I will NEVER EVER AS LONG AS I LIVE BUY ANYTHING FROM THOSE CROOKS AGAIN!
    BUYER BEWARE OF NEWPORT NEWS AND THEIR CHEAP AND SHODDY CLOTHES!

• Ni
      7th of Nov, 2008
    Newport News - Terrible shopping experience
    newport-news.com

Since their customer service is so poor, I thought I'd warn anybody before buying anything from this company. Back in June of 2008, I ordered a bathing suit from their website. Within 2 days, I was getting massive telemarketing calls and junk mail, to the point that I cancelled my home phone. Then, no info on my order. July comes, still no bathing suit. Then I log in online and my order's not even there, even though I was charged for it. Then I get a postcard in the mail saying it was backordered until August. So there goes all of summer without a bathing suit. Thanks Newport News. So it finally arives, I paid $9.00 in shipping and it arrives in a measly little bag. I try it on, it doesn't fit (of course) and I retape it in its original packaging and send it back. Almost 2 months later, I get a gift card in the mail from them for $17.62. My original purchase price was $36, including shipping. They refused to refund it to my card because they say that it arrived later than 15 days from when it was shipped (which is a total scam because I returned it that week) and then they said that they had to charge me another $7 to return it. So I had to eat the shipping to get it to my house, then eat the shipping to send it back, and got less than half of it back on a gift card that I surely will not use at that horrible retailer. Please, never ever buy from Newport News, you will have a long, drawn out awful experience (even if you like the item). Don't even bother returning it.

• La
      7th of Nov, 2008

Same thing happened to me to - Catalogs arrived every day

Watch out for the telemarketers too - They will sign you up for programs you say NO to and then when the bill arrives claim NEWPORT NEWS nothing about it and tell you to call the program itself.

Ask the program people how they got your account number sicne you never gave it out and they tell you it was Newport News Telemarketing Service provided it, they already had it and did not need to get it from me.

Needless to say I cancelled the program after some hassle because I called outside of the free trail period, only because the bill arrived after it was too late to cancel. I was also supposed to receive an info packet that surprise was never sent (Nice Scam - they have)

I immediately called NEWPORT NEWS back and told them to CLOSE MY ACCOUNT!
    I will do not business with any company that blatantly lies to the customers and crams unauthorized charges to my account.

• Tt
      19th of Jan, 2010
    Newport News - Company will not close account and continues to add fees onto a payment that cant be made
    Twanda Taylor
    18621 Golfview Drive
    Hazel Crest
    Illinois

I have not used a credit card for over five years in which I made a $200 purchase. Since then, I have made monthly payments on and off. For over a year, I have not worked and have continued to ask the company to close the account so that it does not accumulated the over the limit fee(which came from the company adding fees each month) and the late fee. I have asked that we agree on a rate mainly because the account has been closed and not active for over five years. The company insist on keeping the account open so that they can continue to add late fees and over the limit fees. The account is up to $700.00 now.

• Am
      31st of Mar, 2010

Did you return the purchases or keep them and not pay for them? If you would pay 25 cents a day - $7.00 a month, none of this would have happened.

• We
      27th of Apr, 2010
    Newport News - Horrible customer service
    Newport News

I have been a long term customer w/ this vendor. Due to a billing error, they made, my acct. was sent to a collections company. However, even after they corrected the error they refused to remove the derrogotory reference. I've spent thousands with them & I am dissappointed at their unwillingness to correct the problem they initially created. I even wrote a letter to the office of the CEO...never even received an acknowledgement.

• Nj
      13th of Jul, 2010
    Newport News - promo code not honored, no notification of charge increase
    newportnews.com

15th of Jul, 2010
    Newport News - Promotional codes not always honored, no notification of charges increase
    Newport News

I think their clothing is of a decent quality if you get it at a sales price or with a promotional discount. However, be cautious applying the latter. They reserve the right to cancel promotions at any time, even after you made an order without the courtesy of notifying a customer. I received the confirmation of the order for the right price but noticed a higher charge to my credit card after it was processed. That was how I found out they did not honor the promotional code after they completed my order. My communication with their customer service did not resolve the issue. The only resolution was to contest the charge with the credit company. This is certainly something I have not bargained for!

• Ek
      27th of Sep, 2010

Newport News does not AUTOMATICALLY enroll anyone in any paid program. That is against the law. You entered your e-mail address and hit enter in a banner ad offering free shipping on a future order. In english next to where you enter your e-mail address are the words "TRIAL OFFER" and "$1.95 charge". You were mailed an information package, which you likely discarded. You were sent a welcome e-mail, which you probably discarded in your junk folder. You didn't read any of the contract before entering your information. Please stop saying fraud and unauthorized charge without getting the facts.

• Ms
      1st of Oct, 2010

I have had the worst experiences as of late with both Spiegel and Newport News orders. I am working on getting the last issue resolved with Newport News.

I returned items to them in early July of this year and it took them 8 weeks just to show the returned items as processed on their website. I thought everything was all set until today when they charged my card the ENTIRE amount of the order. At this point, if my card is not credited today. I am well prepared to dispute the entire charge. This comany has the most ridiculous business practices I have ever encountered. I will never purchase anything from them again and plan to share my experiences with everyone I know.

• Jr
      28th of Feb, 2011

I had the same thing happen to me and unfortunately I didn't realize until TWO years later. I never received anything in the mail, and the amount taken from my account each month wasn't nocitable enough. They are very sneaky about this! They do not specify anywhere when you sign up that you will be charged! I still have the confirmation email and it does not specify anywhere in the email that I will be charged! This is a scam and I am insulted they will not give me all of mny money back. I am considering contacting an attorney and will tell everyone I know about the Newport News Scam.

14th of Jun, 2011
    Newport News - Bad Business/Cheap merchandise
    WFNB Newport News
    Virginia
    newport-news.com

I am finally going to vent about the pos company since they totally messed up my credit rating. I took out an account with these people a couple of years back and made all payments as agreed. Even though the clothes are garbage, fall apart when they hit the washer, and look nothing like they do on the models. I bought $500.00 worth of clothes, not a lot, a few pairs of pants a dress and some small items - came to about $489.00 (they charge a lot of interest). Anyway, I made the minimum payments on the clothes because I didn't like them, didn't wear them and threw most of them in the trash. I made one payment late in February because the economy tanked, but I did make the payment. I paid the card off the next month because I didn't want their trash, and that one payment has brought my credit down from 810 to 679, that along with a payment to Best Buy which I also intend to post on this website. Thanks for nothing...Piece of garbage company - I will never by your cheap, made in China, horrible smelling trash again!!!

• 1p
      21st of Jun, 2011
    Newport News - COMPANY STOLE MY MONEY!
    Northport
    Alabama
    twitter.com

The company is in bankruptcy. I called today because I placed an order back in April that I was charged for right off the bat, but never received. I have been calling for months and emailing with no responses. When I FINALLY was able to reach a live person today I was informed that they would not be giving back any refunds because they were in bankruptcy. They're still taking orders though, yet they have nothing in stock in their warehouse and they have no vendors shipping for them either. So basically they are taking people's money with no intention of paying it back. They haven't officially filed yet, so this is how they are able to do this legally. They are floating themselves with their customer's money. I should have filed a chargeback long ago. Lesson learned here! Also, if the company is in bankruptcy or intends to file, they certainly don't care if you file a complaint with the BBB, and the BBB can't do a single thing for you anyway.

• Bi
      17th of Nov, 2011
    Newport News - Trouble getting basic refund
    Newport News

Placed an order for approximately $77 on Mar 1. Paid $27.25 with a gift certificate and the rest was charged to my cc. There was a backorder item that was shipped on Mar 15 and was defective when I received it. I sent it back according to the directions and got a UPS receipt showing I sent it back on Mar 26. I got an email stating it was received on Apr 4. I never received a refund and when I inquired, I got an email on Apr 30 stating they were still processing. I waited and finally inquired again June 1. They then stated that I had sent it back after 30 days and they issued me a certificate! I simply wanted a credit to my card, because I do not want to purchase with them anymore, if it is this much of a hassle to get a basic refund for defective merchandise. Of course, they also took out shipping charges for me sending it back UPS, eventhough it is the company's fault I had to send it back. I called the company to tell them I didn't want a certificate, I wanted a refund to my cc, and was told that because I had used a partial payment of the $27.25 from a certificate, it had to be refunded that way, eventhough they originally charged the item to my VISA, since it was a backorder. I asked the lady if there was anyone else I could talk to and she hung up on me. I was actually pretty nice about the whole thing, not yelling or anything. So now I have a certificate that is useless to me and it's taken me over 2 months for a simple return. I order from Victoria's Secret and HSN etc. alot and never have these issues. It should have been a very simple return and credit to my card. I do have all my receipts to verify this information.

8th of Dec, 2011
    Newport News - Order
    Newport News

I ordered a dress on 11/23/11. I was advised that I would receive an email confirmation and I never did (yes, I checked my spam folder). Last week, I was told that the warehouse was moving, so that was the reason for the delay in receiving the dress. This week, the reason given was that I placed my order at a high order time and that's why it hasn't gone out. Okay, is one person working the warehouse?! Give me a break. Advice: managers, tell your reps to ALL use the same stock answer. You look like dishonest idiots and I will never order anything from your company again. Could I cancel the order? "Only a manager could do that for you and that's rare." Well, sweetie, I can have the charge removed from my credit card and send the item back, unopened. Very smarmy with sales!

• Na
      3rd of Jun, 2016
    Newport News - Order
    North Carolina

I made an order on December 1, 2011 amounting to $121.54. Newport News claim to ship within 10 days but partial order was received on December 20. I called customer service twice during the long wait and was not told that any of the items would be back-ordered so I was quite surprised when they informed me on the invoice that I would have to wait for one of the items. I returned the items received, which they received on January 3rd yet on January 4th they deducted the full amount from my account. I spoke to customer service who agreed to cancel the item not received and promised that the full amount would be reimbursed within two weeks. Today is January 5th. I will return to this site to say whether they have kept true to their promise. I am disappointed with my shopping experience with them and would NEVER recommend them to anyone. I must also mention that they take ages to answer their phones and that prior to my receipt of the items, when I called for confirmation of shipment they could only say the package was shipped but could not provide a tracking number. They also sent me numerous emails about their sales but did not send me one to simply confirm my order. Worst on-line shopping experience!