Newport News / credit card charges

Alpharetta, GA, United States Review updated:

I had a charge of $14.95 that I could not figure out what it was from. It did not list a name but a phone number. When I typed it in google I found out other people on here had this problem as well from this phone number. I found out it was from newport news, a womens clothing company. I had ordered a dress from there over a month ago and they asked if I wanted free catalogs so I agreed. Never once did the person I spoke to say there were charges. Whats strange is when I purchased the dress it came up on my statement as new port news. But the catalogs did not and were a phone number. That is because it is their shady way of stealing peoples money. Although 14.95 is not alot it is to a college student like myself. What is worse is that if I would of let it slip they would of continued billing me each month. Do not order from this company!

Comments

Sa
  11th of Dec, 2007
I placed an order with Newport News for the first time and this will be my last.

When I placed the order, the online ad indicated that I would expect the delivery in 3-5 working days. It's been at least that long. I did not receive notification that the order had shipped and what was shipped. Because they didn't provide enough information, I was not able to track the items so had to call the 800 number. I've been on hold for over an hour. Newport News indicated that they have customer service reps on call until midnight EST. WHATever. I'll keep my eyes open for eroneous charges to my credit card. Thanks for the head's up.
Ja
  13th of Nov, 2008
I am a victim of the $14.95 charge. It is such a shady way to take your money, and I have a big problem about it when I'm not getting anything back for that money. I called the number not knowing what company I was calling and the automated lady said I could cancel my insider pass or wait for a rep. I pressed right away to cancel it and took down the confirmation number. I got home and and looked up insider pass and see that I'm not the only one!!
have anyone try to get their money back?
My package ALSO took a very long time to get to me, it was probably like 2-3 week of waiting.
DEFINITELY do NOT shop at Newport!!!
Jo
  3rd of Jun, 2016
I totally agree !! I'm at the stage with Newport News right now where they are agreeing that I returned merchandise twice in December 2009 - and they keep promising me that they "put a rush on it" to remove the charges but here it is - February 16th and charges are still on my card.
Sl

Hampton
Virginia
Phone: 1-800-828-2672
newport-news.com

I placed several orders with Newport News in November of 2009. Never did I imagine the unbelievable hassle I was about to get myself into. I do about 95% of my shopping online (even groceries)and this company by far is the WORST!! I'm not even sure how this company can get away with doing business this way or how their employees can live with themselves for treating people in such a horrid manner.

After the items I ordered arrived nearly 4 weeks later, I found that most of them were of terrible quality (snags in the material, uneven, unfinished seams, huge sizes, etc.). I kept only 2 of the items and returned them immediately via their UPS sticker (which incidentally costs you an extra $6.95 PER ITEM and they will deduct this from your return amount...if you ever see any of that money back). I kept copies of the UPS stickers and confirmed the day, time, and signature of when it arrived back on their dock on December 16th. Two weeks later I called Newport News and they confirmed that the items did arrive and that the processing of the return would take about 5-7 additional business days.

Two weeks later, I called back and they said it would be another 10 days to process the returns. In other words, the company gets to sit on your money for as long as they want...hoping that you will forget about it or get tired of the hassle and move on. Six weeks later, I filed a dispute with my credit card company, providing them with the documentation from the UPS tracking system where Newport News had received the returned items. My credit card company could not get any response from Newport News regarding the returns.

Two days ago I received a "past due"?? invoice from Newport News for $233.00. This is about double the amount for all my orders and makes no sense whatsoever. So I called Newport News again (this makes 7th call so far throughout this whole ordeal) and they said that I owe THEM now for items that I returned 2 months ago and that they show in their records as having been received. Huh?

They told me someone would have to call me back (I said, yeah, I've heard that before). Today, lo and behold, someone from Nova Scotia called today trying to collect $233 from me for items returned 2 months ago. I couldn't believe it. I asked the extremely rude woman, "So, let me get this straight. You want me to pay you $233.00 for items I've returned 2 months ago because your company doesn't want to process the return in a timely manner? In other words, you want me to pay double for items that YOU show in YOUR computer as having been returned?" She just said, ma'am, you owe us $233. So I said, so after I give you another $233.00, how long before you credit back my account for the items that were returned 2 months ago"? No joke, she said 5-7 business days. Uh, huh. I started to tell her that's what the first person told me when I called to inquire the first time about my return and she literally SCREAMED through the phone, "I don't know how to explain it to you any better than that!" and slammed the phone down in my ear. Very mature and professional.

I wish I would have done my homework three months ago and researched this "company" before placing any orders with them. If you decide to place an order with Newport News and it isn't what you expected, you will be better off keeping the merchandise, giving it away, or selling it. Otherwise, get ready to be hassled for a long, long time.

Horrible, horrible company. Newport News...SHAME ON YOU!!

Spiegel / Newport News Logo Spiegel / Newport News