The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website
Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In

New York State Motor Vehicles / Out of State I.D and Marriage License

1 NY, United States Review updated:

If you move to New York from any other state (like Florida) when you go to get your license your out of state I.D is not considered proof of your name.I know that for a fact. I was married in Florida 19 years ago, when we moved here I waited 3 years to drive. I had a Florida State I.D card, marriage license, New York bank account, N.Y business license, Federal and New York State tax returns, New York voters registration and proof of utilities and my social security card.All under my married name-Susan Linda George- Jelis ( I still have ALL those papers including tax returns) The problem? New York told me my Florida I.D card was not valid in N.Y as proof I was married and changed my name! I was told I wasn't married in N.Y so I would have to go to court and get it changed here.I showed them my name changed, social security card, needed first to get my Florida State I.D after marriage. No Good. My Federal and N.Y tax returns-no good. My N.Y business license/No Good. What was considered Good? I could only have my name hyphenated George(maiden) Jelis (husbands)if I could show them a CREDIT CARD with my name hyphenated.My credit was under my husbands name!So if you move here be aware all the real I.D you have is not needed. Throw those away because all you need is a credit card real or not.No real I.D is accepted. By the way they just keep renewing that for me. I've had 4 photo's taken but they said I did not need a new updated photo since I moved here and got a license in 1994. That's right 1994.They send a picture to me I guess is similar since most people change after 14 years. Once again, as I have posted here before, no one will ever look at my paperwork or speak to me so I will tell others to save them the same grief I have spent years trying to get help with here.Will I move? No. I can keep informing others.

Sort by: UpDate | Rating


  • Ri
      21st of Jul, 2010
    0 Votes

    It is extremely difficult to move here. I also had a similar issue when I first moved to NY with getting my license. Passport usually does the trick.

Post your comment