New York Sports Club / deceitful billing practices

1 113 East 23rd Street, New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 212 982 4400

I've been a victim of a fraudulent business practice by this establishment.

In September of 2008 I signed up for a 12 month student discounted membership at the local branch of the New York Sports Club on east 23rd street. Nine months into the membership, in May of 2009, I informed the club that I would not be in the city for the next couple of months since the school year had finished and so they presented me with the option of freezing my account. I did this with the understanding that I could unfreeze the account at a future date. What I was not told was that the company would unfreeze my account on their own without notifying me, and begin charging my regular monthly fee of $76.49 from my checking account. What I was also not told when I signed my initial contract was that after the initial 12 months of my membership, the account would revert to a monthly membership until my cancellation. Since I was overall dissatisfied with the service at the gym and since I felt I was overcharged for my membership to begin with, I saw no reason to unfreeze my account.

Only last sunday, March 11, 2012, did I realize that New York Sports Club had continued charging my account every month. In the last 31 months since the club unfroze my account without notifying me, they have extracted $2371.19. I have not used a NYSC gym in that period of time, nor have I received any form of contact or evidence from the club (aside from the monthly charges on my debit card statements) that I was still a member there. Since you have to scan a membership card every time you use an NYSC gym, my usage reports show that I haven't set foot in one in this span of time.

Predictably, the company denies any wrongdoing and their offers are a refund of 2 months of charges! I'm enraged and I'm in the process of filing complaints with the Bureau of Better Business as well as the New York State Consumer Protection Board, and the Attorney General's Website.

If you or anyone you know is a member of NYSC please have them contact me as I am making a petition of active members to show this company that its members will not stand for these deceitful business practices which include exploiting college students with the fine print in their contracts.

Comments

• Nj
      1st of May, 2012

I agree with you Nicholas. They got me for $50.00 One would think that when the contract expires that that would be it. You actually have to cancel 30 days before the contract expires. They don't even send you an e-mail advising you that the contract is soon to expire. From what I understand LA Fitness runs the same way.

• Lu
      5th of Feb, 2014

I absolutely agree, I cancelled about a year into my membership over the phone. The worker on the phone assured me that my membership has been cancelled. 13 months later I go through my statement too see that they have been quietly charging me the regular monthly membership as well as a Jan bonus for them...my membership was $69.00, about $950 down the drain for something that i wouldnt even use because i thought i already cancelled it... I will deter anyone I know or will ever know from stepping foot into that building.