New York And Company / Bad customer service

On this day (1/31/2009) I entered the store with a pair of jeans that I had purchased on clearance with the security tags still on them. I let the store associate (Salina) know I did not have my receipt anymore but I merely just wanted the security tag off my jeans. She replied in a very nasty manner that it was my responsibility to check for this before I left the store and proceeded to tell me she would take the security off tag this time but next I need to check my clothes. So while she was in the process of taking the tag off my jeans and handing them to me I expressed how it was not my fault that the store had an incompetent employee who was their responsibility in the first place and not mine to check for these things. She gave me a mean look, took the jeans out of my hand and put the security tag back on the jeans and said " Well if you�re gonna act like that then I will need a receipt!" I was very stunned at this point and asked to speak to the store manager which she replied that she was the store manager (later I found out that she lied and she was not the store manager). I expressed that I needed to speak with the corporate office and demanded the phone number she wrote this on a piece of paper I then asked her if I could use their store phone and she shouted NO! I was very upset at this point, I called the number she gave me and was on hold for 40 minutes and no one ever came to the phone so I called my husband who was at home to see if he can go online and check the phone number, he gave me a different number that he found the website so I called it. I talked to a very nice lady on the phone (Shaquana) and explained my situation; she turned around and clearly stated that the store employees acted very unprofessional.
I put a formal complaint with the mall security of the store. I was in that store for about 2 hours before the "real" store manager (Jennifer) came up to me and said that if I showed her my California drivers license that she would take the security tag off. I asked her why she waited 2 hours for her to tell me this; she had no explanation. I also asked her why would I need to show my drivers license since Salina had taken the security tag off in the first place and because I voiced my opinion she maliciously put it back on, again she didn�t have any response and didn�t seem remorseful at all.
I was treated unjustly in this store in addition there was no apology from either of them. I was given dirty looks while they whispered behind my back the entire 2 hours mocking me. I went home crying with my jeans which by the way still have the security tag on them!

Ri

Comments

Ia
  16th of Nov, 2009

Would you be able to provide me with this phone number? I have not been able to get through either and when you 'contact them by email' as the web page calls it they just send you an auto generated email stating to call them instead.

I have to agree with you, NY & C has gone downhill. I used to love this store but recent experience with our local store made me return the items I bought because I didn't want to support the store and the unprofessional manager of it.

Ch
  1st of Oct, 2011

Recently I placed an order online and when I received my items, they didn't fit me so I had to return everything at the store, basically did not get my shipping and handling returned, they ALSO did not refund me the tax cost. Rip off! Well, I decided to reorder online and my second order, I accidently submitted the order and ordered the wrong size. I called customer service, they said they could not access the order to change it for me. That pissed me off! Basically, their company is nothing but a rip off and I will never purchase from them again in the future.

7th of May, 2012

This comment does not relate to the given store, but is a problem with the company. As a veteran employee, and as a friend of many current employees, I am appalled at the lack of concern given to your sellers. When I worked for Express, my comfort was a consideration. I was given breaks after the proper amount of hours works, time was dedicated to my training, and I had a clear understanding of what dictated grounds for termination. This is not how New York and Company runs its company. I never once received a 15 minute, and rarely received a 30 minute break for 7+ hours of work. I, and everyone at the stores that I worked at, was encouraged to allow discounts to customers when situations warranted it. Scheduling was never given in advance, and the atmosphere did not facilitate learning.

I have heard of two employees who were recently terminated without the consent of the management staff (Ie: Corporate fired them without consulting anyone on the team). One employee, who gave a discount to a customer under the training of her manager, was fired without a warning. Why are we trained to give out discounts, and then fired afterward? Furthermore, this employee has nearly 40 hours scheduled the rest of the week. Who is to cover these shifts? Of course the company can't afford to have breaks covered, they've fired half the staff regardless of competency. Other retailers DO NOT operate so poorly. I would be greatly surprised if this company lasted for many more years.

Additionally, the quality of New York and Company's clothing is abysmal. I don't know how many times I had to process returns for damaged product that couldn't even make it thirty days of wear. Clothing that went through the wash once came out destroyed. I shopped at New York and Company so that I could wear the brand name at work, but I certainly have not continued that trend after breaking with the company.

My heart goes out to those who are still staffed at the New York and Company stores all over the country. How long will the company keep abusing them? How long will the company keep jerking them around?

In conclusion, I am writing because:

1) New York and Company don't treat their employees well.
2) The training given to employees is insufficient and leaves to improper termination.
3) Regardless of New York and Company's policies, their clothes are of poor quality.

New York and Company has lost my service and the service of many others. How far is it willing to go?

Dy
  18th of Feb, 2016

I went to New York & Company and open a charge about two days ago. I had some items that I took back on yesterday 2-17-2016. I went to a rack with some pants and the price said twelve dollars. I call the associate to the rack and asked her about the price. She stated that I need to take that price down because this is the wrong price. I asked her as a customer that New York Company suppose to honor the price as good customer service. I have been working with the United Postal Service for ten years and I know about customer service is making your customer happy. I told her I understood about her taking price down for the next customer but I didn't understand about them not having good customer service with me. I spoke to the manger at the Florence store and she said that she could not honor good customer service since they change to a outlet. If this matter can't be resolve I will cancel my card. Thank you, Diana Brown (843) 992-2613

Je
  30th of Sep, 2017

Yes I agree with you. I use to shop there when it was Lerners NY. Customer service is horrible there. I made a complaint and called there home Office and I never got a letter saying they were sorry. MY story was I was looking for work pants and the girl suggested work pants with spandex for the more hefty woman. She showed me a pair of sweatpants!! I said to her did you jsut call me hefty?? I said I cant believe you just said that!! She ignores me. I said im a size 8 and just to let you know I just lost a bunch of weight. Again she ignores me. Others heard her comment and thought how rude. Now just to say no matter what size we are that comment shouldnt of been made. So there I am crying in the store I was so uncomforatble. Note to NEW YORK AND COMPANY when someone asks for dress pants are you going to offer them sweatpants?? Are you allowing your employees to be rude to there customers? Maybe thats why you have lost so many customers. Jennifer Hoffer trinity fl