NetOpus / Charges without permission!

Had themselves listed as our long distance carrier with charges for same without permission of anyone from our company. They do no respond to e-mail and i can not reach anyone by phone.

Va

Comments

De
  13th of Dec, 2006

This company is a SCAM !! Mystery charges have appeared on my phone bill payable to NETOPUS. Have tried to contact them, but big surprise, they will leave you on eternal hold and never did pick up!

Do
  20th of Dec, 2006

I received a letter from netopus.net saying that someone by the name of Micheal Johnson ordered a website service for my company. There is none in my company by that name. The Netopus letter claimed they were going to bill me through my phone company after 15 days. Not being able to reach a human at Netopus through their 800-507-5288 phone number (the phone message sounded far east Indian), I called my phone company to let them know I had not ordered any such service and told them it sounded like a scam.

Ji
  27th of Dec, 2006

I got a letter congratulating me for ordering a website for my real estate company and they will bill me $34.95 on my phone bill. I never ordered a website from them.

The phone company cannot stop the charges from going on my bill.

I will report this to my local authorities, cuz this is a SCAM.

Ga
  29th of Dec, 2006

I also got a charge on my local bill for web hosting which I did not order... they had a recording where they asked my name address and phone number and asked if it was correct and then they made up a phony recording which said that they would charge me if I did not cancel within 15 days.... I DID NOT GIVE THEM PERMISSION TO CHARGE ME ANYTHING AND DID NOT AUTHORIZE THIS CHARGE.

This is FRAUD to modify the recording saying that I agreed to charges which I did not.

Sa
  5th of Jan, 2007

I have also just seen a charge from Nov. 24th from netopus.com, but when going to netopus.com, they refer you to netopus.net. Netopus.net looks to be an online directory for businesses the first time, but the second time I try to go there it gives me a sitebuilder. So, it looks like I supposedly ordered webhosting, and assume that the same charge will be on my phone bill for December. I have not been able to contact this company or the phone company yet. I do remember a phone call asking me to verify my business information, which I did, and he had me record the verification twice. I assume that as was already mentioned they will doctor the recording to agree to phony charges. Anyone get any resolution yet?

Ne
  8th of Jan, 2007

I just received my damn letter today, and find that they have created a website with my business name without permission. We already have a website and this will confuse any web crawlers looking for us. I think this is tied in with a call I received 2 weeks ago from Yellow Pages, where I specifically, categorically, and repeatedly told them I would not purchase a service and they guaranteed that I would not pay for anything unless I agreed in writing. Everytime we had this discussion on the phone, the would then go back through the pitch again from the beginning (4 times), and I'm sure they only kept the last version. But they did something like this to me to years ago and I didn't even know it until I found some strange charges on my phone bill. When I'm off this note I'll be calling my phone company then the Attorney General of my state.

Kept trying their support line and it was busy and kept cutting me off.

Ji
  19th of Jan, 2007

We had the same problems as Steven Jenson had. Was being charged for website that was never ordered. Had my name and tried to say that I authorized the website, but I never received anything in writing like Steven did. When trying to call the number to discontinue the service and be reimbursed I receive recording saying that they are receiving high volume of calls at this time please call back.

If you have not had your account cleared up I called my main phone company number (Bellsouth) and they connected me with the billing service that billed for NetOpus and she is going to credit my phone company and put a block on NetOpus company for me.

I told the phone company I refused to pay them that fee and boy do they connect you really fast to the Netopus billing company.

I would advise anyone with the same problem to notify the federal trade commission and your state district attorney. We are.

Good Luck.

Ki
  24th of Jan, 2007

I took a call from a woman a few months ago who want to offer 15 free days of their web hosting service. Because I am usually polite to sales people before I turn them down, I listed to her pitch. I told her that I did not want to do this, and she kept pressuring me to try the 15 free days. I asked her if I would automatically be charged at the end of 15 days for the service. She said no, I would not have to anything to discontinue the service.

We never even used the website, never looked at it. And now I am receiving 34.95 charges every month. My phone company will stop billing me for this (good for them) but they don't seem to know anything about the company, no address, no direct line to their billing dept. I don't want this to appear on my credit report. I have tried to call the toll free number for NetOpus 24 times in the last month and only reach a recording that tells me to call back later before disconnecting the call. This is so frustrating! Does anyone have a number for NetOpus billing Dept. Maybe I could get through there. This is so frustrating!

Pa
  24th of Jan, 2007

I have had several calls from this company and they have asked for personal information such as my date of birth. I have a policy of not giving out personal information to anyone calling me. I am glad I checked on this company. Their approach was suspicious and based on these comments, I will be watching my phone bill. Of course I will not do business with them. Thanks for sharing your experiences with this company.

Ka
  29th of Jan, 2007

Had their reps call behind a facade of "updating a yellowpage listing and intern fought with me over the phone to get me to sign up to this service, when I said I was not interested in this service, the rep got more persistent. We declined the offer then had a chletter come to our office welcoming us to the service, then a charge appeared on our bill for the service we did not order. Cannot reach them by phone nor will they answer their emails. I faxed them today we'll see what happens. I guess next is the FTC.

Ge
  29th of Jan, 2007

Rep called business. Sales person answered phone with common greeting giving name, Short conversation, refuse service. Bill appeared on telephone as "other". Am fighting with phone company now. Filed fraud complaint with FTC. Talked with corp.agent at phone co. in Atlanta. Now awaiting callback. Incidentally, phone co cannot cut off service if you refuse to pay third party charges. You also can call service ( in most phone companies) and request blockage of third party charges. (Won't help with current problem, but will/should prevent another occurrence. I am looking for FTC address to contact next. Note: Does anyone know criteria for getting on phone co. list to get them to collect for these fraudulent charges?

Er
  31st of Jan, 2007

We also we approached with the idea of a free internet listing confirmation and an offer for other 'services'. We told them that we had all the internet provider support we needed and that we would not be signing up for anything!! This conversation was supposedly recorded.

We have since been billed through BellSouth for their unspecified 'services' . Where do we go from here?

Bi
  1st of Feb, 2007
NetOpus - Beware - unsolicited service!

I received a call a few weeks ago from a person with an Indian accent saying that he was representing the yellow pages. He verified my name and company address. I did not agree to sign up for anything. In fact, the subject of being charged for a service never came up in the conversation. Today, I received a letter from Netopus saying I was signed up for a web hosting service. I tried to call them numerous times and received a message after being on hold for a while stating "Please try and call back later as our call volume is too high right now". I bet it is too high if they are pulling this crap on a widespread basis!

Luckily, I am part of a big corporation and I will just turn this over to our legal department. Be careful, these people don't even mention anything about charging you until the bill shows up in the mail. I called my phone company and they said there is nothing they can do about it. Guess I'll just have to change my phone service and get a new number.

Li
  5th of Feb, 2007

I have been trying to rid my phone bill of the scammers known as netopus.net since March 2006! I have called and sent e-mails and was told charges would be taken off my phone bill and lied to so many times! I have filed complaints with everybody and still have had no resolution. I guess I will need to see if my local News station would be interested in helping me out. Anyone interested in this venture?

De
  16th of Feb, 2007

I am still uncertain if my netopus situation has been completely resolved. I know that they are not continuing their charges on my account. I just got off the phone with them and they said they will be crediting my account for previous charges. I was given an employee's name and their employee number as confirmation. My phone company gave me this number to contact them with 1-877-736-7500. The lady claimed that she was not netopus but that they were the spokes company for net opus. However after I refused to get off the phone until could talk to someone in the billing department, she finally told me she would credit my account within the next two billing periods. i hope this is a help to someone.. the other posts definitely helped me out.

Jo
  28th of Mar, 2007

I also was scammed by NetOpus. First I contacted my phone company and told them I would not pay the charges and wanted to know when they started. They told me that I would not have to pay but I would need to contact Payment One at 888-296-8076 who was doing the billing for NetOpus who removed the billing from my account and they gave me the number for NetOpus 800-736-7500 then they tried to tell me that a Sarah in my office had authorized the charges which is impossible because I run a one man office and better yet they sold my company a web site when the business that I own and run is a web site development service so why would I buy a web site from another company??? They had no answer for me on that one. I did receive an email from their customer service department that I would be happy to forward you if you like. I hope this helps. Joe

Ma
  3rd of Apr, 2007

I need to rate the company NetOpus as good due to their innovative services!

Ar
  5th of Apr, 2007

Hello all and thank you for your postings. I am writing on behalf of NetOpus, and want to try to explain some of our actions. I first want to say that I am not going to deny that some negative outcomes have come from our sales methods, but we are not some scam operation, and do offer a great and valuable product. The good news however, is that we are moving to a new phase of operation which is focused on quality and customer support. So I am happy to say that most of these issues will all be in our past.

The problems you have all faced, or have read about involve our sales and prior customer service methods which have primarily focused on outsourced labor, as some have pointed out, is India, among other places. While we give these people very specific instructions, we have learned, to our dismay, that they do not always follow our policies and procedures as well as we would like. A clear example of this is in our sales representatives who are overly aggressive and impose sales upon unwilling customers. We are confident and stand behind our product 100%, and would never intend to sign up unwilling customers. Recently we have just moved to a new sales method which imposes a far superior verification protocol for making sure that each sale is valid and accurate.

I encourage each of you to contact me directly if you have any questions or comments. We take every customer response seriously, and are implementing efforts to attend to customer needs with greater speed. Each of our customers is valuable to us, and we strive to be a powerful resource and tool to the consumer.

I can be contacted directly at aadams@globalyp.net. I will be happy to deal with any issues or answer any questions. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Da
  10th of Apr, 2007

Sub: Unauthorized charges

I got a phone call at work by a woman that I could barely understand on 2-23-07 she needed to verify the company information that she had for our address phone number and such, she asked my name I gave it to her not thinking about it she then rambled on about something I kept telling her that she needed to contact our headquarters in Skippack PA she said she would.

This morning I got to work and got an email form headquarters that there were $37.00 worth of web hosting charges on our phone bill they called the company and they said that I authorized them to start there service I NEVER DID this is a scam the have people call that barely speak english and that is how the get you. This company needs to be stopped.

Do
  23rd of Apr, 2007
NetOpus - Charges for service I did not order!

Our home number is the contact number for our church, I had a call for our church to sign up for internet service Yellow Pages, with netopus. The Indian speaking person let me to assume it was just verifying the church would be in the local Yellow Pages. I had been tricked before with the same company. I ask to talk to the manager after being pressured by the salesman,someone came on the line and said he was the manager. I in very plan words told him I did not want the service, we did NOT have a computer at church, I DID NOT want it and NOT to add our name. I received my Verizon statement and charges of $37.31 was added to my bill. I can't get through to the company, HOW CONVENIENT, on the phone. I am contacting my bank NOT to ALLOW THE CHARGES TO BE PAID. I, also, wrote to the company(I have a copy of the letter) NOT to add the church and I DID NOT APPROVE OF THE CHARGES AND WILL NOT PAY.