Nestle / nespresso

1 Bahrain Review updated:

Hi,

Greetings, Nespresso markets itself as a very up market high-end luxury brand worldwide. The crux of which being Swiss quality and Swiss made.

We got a rude shock when we got the delivery of our much-awaited coffee machine when we saw that it was actually made in China. We inquired and when we insisted that they show us their demo machine we realized there was something fishy about the whole deal.

The demo machine is in fact made in Switzerland and the machine that we actually bought is made in China. When we bought this to the attention of the Nestle guys here they conveniently said they are not aware of this and when raised to the next level as per them both the machines are the same irrespective of their country of origin!!! This is funny coming from a Swiss company, how would you feel your Rolex dealer, which is again a high end up market luxury brand telling you that….
The one delivered for us Pic 1

The demo piece Pic 2

Also when we spoke to the delivery man here as per him this is how they do it and have sold quite a few pieces in the market and I am sure this is how they do it in lot of the other countries where this machine is sold and guess what both are the same price!!!

Hope you guys will take this forward and make the general public aware of the same….

Regards

A concerned customer……

Nestle
Nestle

Am

Comments

• Ky
      10th of Aug, 2009

Your naivety as to how companies conduct business is astonishing. The fact that the machine is made in china is irrelevant. This is what may companies do so as to make their business profitable. The fact of the matter is that its swiss routes made Nespresso what it is - a stylish accessory that produces the best coffee I have tasted outsde Italy. it makes no difference to me if the machine is mass produced in china or switzerland

• Sw
      9th of Oct, 2009

It does make a great difference if the machine is "Made in Switzerland" or "Made in China". Switzerland has far better labor and environmental standards than China ever will. It also reduces my opinion of the brand to see an expensive Swiss espresso maker from a Swiss company that's "Made in China".

• To
      4th of Jan, 2011

kyw, your ignorance is astonishing. The whole basis of amitn's blog was to point out the fact that Nespresso claim that its machines are Swiss made is clearly false and misleading. I can attest to this as I recently purchased a Magimix Citiz M190 machine from a department store which pushed the claim (probably unbeknownst to them) that these machines, other than the Essenza M100, are made in Switzerland. The machine is clearly Made in PRC (Peoples Republic of China). Now I am under no false pretense that 99% of appliances these days are made in countries where the labour is cheaper to boost profits. This is the natural course of a capitalist free market. However what does frustrate me is when companies make claims that are misleading. We can argue til the cows come about Chinese vs Swiss quality (I for one prefer Swiss built) but that is not the issue here. Nestle, your coffees are great and your machines stylish, but please come forward and be honest and clear to your loyal customers. That is all we ask.

• Pe
      15th of Jan, 2011

I have a Nespresso Krups Essenza (the basic model to understand us) bought two years ago. I was very happy with it but, last Christmas, and as it was a very interesting offer buying the SAME model, I decided to replace it.
    Fortunately I stored the first one, because with the new machine I found coffee taste less aromatic... The cause: The mechanism that closed the capsule doesn't close hermetically, and there is a water leakage that falls on the used capsule container. So, the high water pressure can't be guaranteed when making coffee
    Nespresso has changed the mentioned part: Before was completely made in stainless but now this part is made in plastic and stainless. It's true that the new machine is made in China, but design changes (obviously to reduce cost) are not factory responsibility, are R+D responsibility and I bet this department remains in Switzerland .Just to be fair.
    I returned the new machine and now I'm using my old one. If you are a happy owner of a two years old Nespresso coffee machine, take care of it!

• Pe
      15th of Jan, 2011

Attached a picture of the stainless part (if you compare with the last revision, now it is made of plastic with a metallic ring

• Fi
      22nd of Nov, 2015

Have noticed same thing with my Citiz - made in PRC. It leaks somewhere around the seal of the capsule - difficult to tell where but a continual stream of water by passes the cup and ends up in the drip tray. This didn't happen when I first got the machine (two years ago) but has gotten slowly worse over the last six months. Noticed the plastic "plunger" (referred to in pic) that is supposed to seal the capsule and suspect that it is worn and doesn't apply sufficient force on the capsule to effect a seal - design/material fault in my opinion. Will be going in to see Delonghi about the issue