NES / Awful experience

United States Review updated:

I was contacted by NES about a month ago with urgent phone messages that said I needed to respond to a pending legal matter. Upon calling them they proceeded to tell me that everything was set up to take me to court over this bill. They said that everything was in line and they had contacted my county and verified my employment. I agreed to work toward obtaining cash to begin paying off my debt. They made it sound like my window of opportunity was the last day of October. This was the time frame allowed for me to pay off the settlement amount of $3260 instead of the entire amount of $5360. I was to keep in touch with them and inform them of my progress. I called faithfully about every other day and agreed to make an initial $500 payment set up for Fri Oct 17th. I set this up over the phone. I set this payment up with this company with good intentions to establish rapport and trust with them and to hopefully be able to continue with an honest payment plan should I not have any success in obtaining the full amount of cash via a loan, etc. I felt I trusted them. However, they did tell me that payments were no longer allowed on my account; that they needed the full amount whether it was the settlement amount made by Oct 31 or the full amount after that date. I figured though that if I began making good sized payments that they would eventually accept that. They did have me scared though, thinking that this might not work and they might mean it if I couldn't pay in full. I wanted to avoid court at any cost. So I began working diligently on cash possibilities. They told me to keep in touch with them on my progress. I called about every other day. Each day when I called them I was told by a lady named Verena that working on obtaining cash and the pending $500 would delay the legal proceedings toward me until the end of the month. I have been pursuing other cash sources with no luck so far but have been determined and felt that I had a back up plan with getting the cash from my father-in-law as a last resort. HOWEVER, on Friday (yesterday) when I called to tell them that the funds were available to deposit my check, which they had asked me to do, they changed their tune. They gave me some lame story about how the other company (I'm not sure who they mean by this... I guess Capitol Resurgent Services who apparently had my Sears account prior to them) that my $500 payment was no longer good enough and that they'd sue if I didn't come up with the full amount within a half hour! I remained very polite and called the man sir and spoke nicely to him saying that I didn't think that was fair after they had reassured me that this initial payment would tie me over until the end of the month and supposedly until I obtained the rest of the settlement amount. (This man claimed to be president of the company and Verena had handed me over to him.) There was some discussion and I was being cooperative but he flat out hung up on me right in the middle of the conversation! i was stunned! At this time I began to realize that something did not smell right about this company and I began to have doubts about the whole thing. Tonight I have been doing research on this company and I have discovered that they are a very unscrupulous company that will start deducting unauthorized payments from accounts without the account holder's knowledge or deduct more than you tell them to, and use unscrupulous tactics etc. I had every intention of working with them because I am in a better financial situation than I was when I allowed this account to get out of hand. However, they just lost their chance when they treated me so poorly and unprofessionally and after I read so many bad things about them. I have emailed my bank requesting a stop payment on this check as it hasn't been processed yet. I am awaiting your response on how to proceed next. I don't want to skip out of paying a bill but I feel they must be realistic. I also have doubts because at different times when I spoke to them it seemed they were giving me different amounts for the settlement and for the total amount of my bill. When I think back about a lot of things, some things just didn't seem right. I certainly don’t want money being deducted from my account that would not even get applied to my debt if they are some shady outfit!I am also fearful that since my check hasn't already been deposited, that they meant what they said yesterday and they are skipping my $500 payment and just suing me right away for the whole amount.I realize I've given a lot of info here, but hopefully this helps you to help me. I appreciate it very much! Thank you very much!
Va

Comments

Pa
  19th of Nov, 2008
NES operates terribly. I've never been so verbally abused in my life. When I asked the man's name he hung up on me. This after stating I was going to be sued by California to collect the debt. This was today, 11/17/08. They said I needed to pay the full about of 1527.01, then they tacked on legal fees to bring it up to $2, 800. Then they said they would mark it down to $1068, but I had to pay it in full by the end of this month. I am already obligated to another company to pay $1200 by the end of this month andn explained that to them. They told me to call and cancel that payment with the other collection agency. I told them I would not do that - all the way they were treating me, talking to me very nastily. I've read so many terrible stories about NES online - so similar to my own experience today. Somewhere I read to attempt to call the initial collections company to try to get the account back with them, which I have just done. I need to fax the collections company with the experience I had with NES and they will make a determination of whether or not they will re-claim my debt. I am going to state everything they, NES, said to me, how they won't accept payments, the threats to sue, etc. I had offered to them I could pay the debt in full by December 14 and they refused and ultimtely hung up on me. I am hoping that the original collection agency wil take me back and let me work out a plan to have my bill paid in full by the end of December. I hope this works and I hope it works for others in my same predictament. Good luck! I intend to do whatever necessary to shut NES down!
Sa
  22nd of Nov, 2008
I complete agree with you! I just received my first call from this company on 11-21-08 (yesterday), BEFORE 8am (which is against FDCPA), threatening that this account was in the "pre-legal" stage and I needed to pay my account in full. Oddly enough, they offered me "the only possible settlement amount", which I still couldn't afford, and they then went on to cut the cost down even more. However, I was told by "Steven Bloom" (yeah right, like that's your real name) that this "small" amount was meant for "poor people who were really living in poverty". Since when is $4400 (down from 7250) something they would offer ONLY to people living in poverty.

I am so frustrated with companies like this. For anyone else who deals with calls as horrible and full of empty threats as this, get advice from experts, like Dave Ramsey.

According to other people's stories online-one coming from someone who worked there-NES doesn't seem to have the power to file suit, only to turn the debt over to the original company. I don't know if that's really true though. I do notice a pattern of a man identifying himself as an attorney, and NES as "NES & Associates, LPA" which is a "law office". This company doesn't even have my appropriate place of business, so they obviously aren't doing their research.

I will keep this site updated when I communicate with them from now on. I wish there was a way to link this to the other NES comment board on this website.
Re
  14th of Sep, 2016
I received a bill from NES for $353.00 for July: August my bill is $259.00. It is no one in the home, but my husband and myself.
I am furious my bill is extremely high. I went to NES. The individuals I talked to on two different occasions acted arrogant and no concern of theirs. one was a supervisor that promise she will have the district manager to call me. That did not happen. I ask for a payment history on my first visit, after being told "They feel my payments has been too low, and They determined my payments needs to be higher." I ask who is they, and we. I did not receive an answer. When I ask about the call from the district manager, on my second visit I was told she called but the voice mail was full.
I made all the correct moves to get my thermostat at 68-70., keep lights off, wash 1x week, and I do not have a computer hooked up.
My payment history do not reflect a bill been this high even when the kids was home. I believe a terrible mistake has been made about my bill and no one cares. NES has no competition, and they can charge what ever even if the meter reader is wrong.