Neighbors Moving And Storage / Awful company

I shopped around and checked the prices of all denver area movers and neighbors moving and storage promised me the best price. I spoke with multiple people about the agreed upon price. Now that I am trying to get my belongings out of storage, they are trying to charge me $832 dollars more than the original agreement! keep in mind I am a single girl, with relatively small amount of belongings and furniture and I am doing a local move. So I offered to come pick up my stuff myself, and they are trying to charge me $530 dollars just to pick up my stuff!! They have been extremely unresponsive, I had to leave 3 messages just to get someone to call me back to schedule my next move and now they expect me to pay a ridiculous amount of money just to access my stuff to move myself, even thought the agreement was that I had already paid for both parts of my move. And they were extremely late in coming to do my first move, and they never called and warned me about it. I was late to a meeting, and they acted like it was a regular occurrence for them.

Please don't ever use these guys, they seriously are criminals. I would like to know what to do in my situation. I am completely being taking advantage of, and I'm not sure what to do! please spread the word and don't make the same mistake I did!!!

Comments

• Ac
      6th of Jun, 2009

We just used Neighbors for a move from Colorado Springs to Parker. The guys were nice enough, but inexperienced to say the least. I almost threw up when I went to unpack my wedding crystal and saw that every piece was wrapped in paper, and all my crystal was stacked on top of each other in a box (NOT a beverage box - the kind with the individual sections for glasses) and then other items were stacked on top of my crystal! It's a miracle that only one glass was broken. They also used my good linen napkins to wrap some of my breakable items in, because they didn't have any bubble wrap with them.

They damaged a number of items, including big scratches to the foot board of our bed, cracked a wood support frame on our son's crib and then tried to hide it by using tape to put it back together, scratched up a frame on one of our wedding photos (that one made me FURIOUS) because they didn't pack it right, disassembled our son's swing set and then misplaced a bunch of the bolts so it's sitting in our backyard, half put together, and they were using one of my good Henckel's knives to cut things with!!!
    They also took our $400 Ralph Lauren comforter and tried to throw it loose, along with our bed pillows, in the back of the nasty, dirty truck. I caught that one and told them that they needed to be put in a box. I mean, come on! How stupid can you be? (and by the way, I was on bedrest during this time for my pregnancy, so I couldn't supervise what they were doing).

There are a number of other things that they did that really made us mad, but all in all, we got NOTHING in return from Neighbor's for the number of items that were damaged. Their claims policy is AWFUL - you're responsible for paying the first $500 in repairs. What a joke. I wish my husband had read the contract better, because we wouldn't have used Neighbor's if we had known how crappy they are.

• 12
      29th of Jun, 2009

Truly bad moving company. Save yourself the headache and do not use them. They are not qualified movers. It took them SEVEN hours to move a 2 bdrm apt. into storage. They didn't even break a sweat until the 5 hour. They damaged walls during the move. Didn't care about my "fragile" boxes as they'd put multiple boxes on top of the fragile ones. Were not careful with those boxes whatsoever. Some of my items are broken such as a lamp (which they tried to hide by sticking the broken piece in a trash can). Unbelievable.

• Ni
      13th of Aug, 2009

I am still recovering from a Horrendous experience with Neighbors Moving & Storage 10 days ago. Their salesman quoted me a rate of 4 hours @ $108/hr -- I thought that sounded about right. I was going from a 2-bedroom condo in Aurora to a 2-bedroom apartment in Centennial. I paid a $100 deposit in advance. I figured I'd owe maybe $350-400 more.

Well, these guys were the slowest movers I've ever seen and just plain STUPID. They did a lot of things the slow way and the hard way. So it took 6 1/2 hours. They also don't TELL YOU about the $250 transportation and diesel fuel surcharge either. So instead of $350 -- they wanted over $900 !! I then argued on the phone with the dispatcher to haggle it down to $788. Well, that amount didn't clear my debit card because I didn't have that much in my account at the time -- so they refused to unload anything else and LEFT !! I took 8 days to get the rest of my furniture and boxes after I argued with a higher level manager and we settled for around $600.

Then, the icing on the cake, not only did they refuse to re-assemble my large L-shaped computer desk, they broke both doors on my entertainment center and I am missing shelves from my tall solid oak bookshelf. I called them and asked them where are my bookshelves -- surprisingly I have not heard back!!

This moving company is unscrupulous, unethical, unprofessional, uncaring and runs itself like a mafioso company! Their way or the highway! Put the word out to everyone you know -- do NOT use Neighbors Moving & Storage...ever !!!

• Sf
      30th of Nov, 2010

Not that this will be a surprise to anyone, but THESE GUYS ARE CROOKS!
    My local move was grossly under quoted and when I was told of an 18% transportation service charge and I explained that it was not disclosed in the quote, the "dispatcher" Josh (aka the OWNER) on the phone told the mover "If that guy doesn't pay you, lock his [censor] up in storage and then he'll pay me." This is all after I spoke with Josh and he told me he didn't have the authorization to waive the fee and would have to speak to someone on Monday about it. HE OWNS THE COMPANY!! But still he tried playing it off like he was just a dispatcher. He told me "I'm not putting my job in jeopardy just so you don't have to pay something that all our customers pay. Call back on Monday and we'll review the sales tapes and, if the charge was not disclosed to you on the call, your CC will be refunded." Well, needless to say, I've been calling all day and have been put on hold, transferred, or just hung up on by Josh himself, some douche named Cody and was told that the sales person I dealt with "doesn't work in the home-move division, so you must be mistaken." Grade-A A-holes!

1st of Sep, 2011

Real class act. I'm being sarcastic.

Helpful and insightful for the weeks prior to the actual move. Once booked, it was another story.

We were booked to move on the 30th of last month. Fine.

We called on the 29th to find out what time they would come the next day. Oops. We haven't found a truck for the area. Maybe on the 31st.

We were asurred that the movers would come on the 31st and we should not worry.

On the morning of the 31st, oops no movers...maybe on the first. But wait..our lease is done on the 31st and we have to move. Sorry..maybe the 1st.

We called the "head" of long distance services.

HE: ( annoyed at my inquiry) Sorry sir, we don't have any trucks in Philadelphia.

ME: Um. we're in Pittsburgh.

HE: Fine! We don't have anything in Pennsylvania

He promptly hung up on me.

Long story short, we had to cancel our contract. God knows if we see our deposit. We had to book a Uhaul that day and rush our whole apartment in a span of five hours.

Thanks Neighbors. Expect a call from the Better Business Bureau.

• Va
      30th of May, 2012

The initial sales pitch is good, yes and yes the price reasonable. What Neighbors Movers fail do tell you is they are not movers at all but a broker that resales your bid to other less than reliable movers. When do Neighbors tell you this, 2 days before your pick-up date. By then it's hard to find another mover and Neighbors promises to find a mover and it unfolds, oh you didn't know we only broker moves? Where is that in the ad or indicated in the contract. Even tho your initial contract specifies a day for pick-up, a storage location and a date for delivery. Once your contract is resold they wash their hands of the contract pocking the hefty fee leaving you at the mercy of another reseller who adds another finders fee and could less about your schedule saying they have a 5 day window for pickup and 7-21 day for delivery, yes two days prior to your commitment. If you want to pay more than the brand companies, love uncertainty, take time off from work and more time off from work, spend endless hours on the phone trying to contact someone about your move, good luck in the department, stress did I mention stress and guess what, the final delivery is subcontracted to a brand company - go with Neighbors. There advisement is 100% wrong - do NOT use!.

• Sc
      19th of Jul, 2012

I am having very similar issues with Neighbors Moving and Storage. I used them for a move almost one year ago and I am still trying to obtain reimbursement for damaged items as the movers dropped my furniture down the stairs. After reading these complaints, I am seriously considering a lawsuit. If this happened to us, I can only imagine how many others it has happened to. I am going to contact the Better Business Bureau and I encourage you to as well. Time for retribution.

• Sc
      19th of Jul, 2012

I found out that we can send in our complaints to the Consumer Affairs Division in either Broward, Miami-Dade or Palm Beach. Visit your counties consumer services/affairs division for information (search online). They will complete an investigation. The department number for Miami-Dade is 305-375-3677. I have contacted them and been informed how to place my compliant and what I would like to have done.