Ned Stevens Gutter Cleaning / contractor fail to appear in a timely manner and claim to have work which they have not done.

1 MA, United States Review updated:

Enclosed is an excerpt of a recent letter to Ned Stevens Gutter Cleaning:

I made an appointment wit NS to come to my house and clean the gutters by Mid-December ´08, so that the gutters would be clean before the first snowfall on December 19. However, NS did not arrive prior to the first snow, nor did they telephone me to notify me that they would not come. As a result, with ample snow and ice threatening to destroy my gutters, I contacted a local handyman during a thaw in February. He did an excellent job, fixed the gutters, and cleaned them thoroughly. The very next day, on 18 February, while no one was home, a NS crew must have come along, because there was an invoice left on my steps. In it, NS claimed that they had cleaned my gutters, when, in fact, they had not (since they had been cleaned the previous day). So, not only had they failed to appear in the agreed period, but they also claimed to have done a job when they had not.

Like most homeowners, I am tired of contractors fail to either show up at the appointed time, or call to notify us about delays or failure to appear as agreed -- and then have the temerity to browbeat their clients.

In your latest invoice, I note that you threaten to release “personal information” to a collection agency, and to refer the case to your “legal department”. Fine, but if you take this route be prepared -- as I warned your customer representative when I spoke to him -- for a long, drawn out process.

Comments

• Ns
      13th of Oct, 2009

I handled your account personally. You called us 3 times to see when we would arrive, and you were SPECIFICALLY told we were coming late due to the snow!! You knew in late December that you were on an automatic schedule and that we would be there as soon as the weather permitted. Additionally, we sent you a letter, explaining that we would be late, and the reason we would be late (weather). Yet you never cancelled with us when you hired someone else. So, we did the work as promised. The consumer affairs board agreed with us that we did everything we could have done, and in fact convinced you to pay us for the work perfomed. We are an honest, hard working, family owned company. We have been in business, working 7 days a week, for 44 years. I don't know what more we could have done for you to make you happy.

• To
      22nd of Feb, 2010

I have also had a problem with Ned Stevens in West Chester, PA. They called me on the phone to ask if I wanted to be on a service plan. I VERY CLEARLY stated I was not at all interested in being on a service plan. I told the gentleman that they could call back in late Fall to see if I was interested in their service. The gentleman continued to talk about what would happen with a service plan if I desired one--I listened but NEVER agreed to be on a plan. Ned Stevens workers just showed up one day (about a month later) and claimed to clean the gutters (which I had cleaned about two weeks prior) and left a bill. I refuse to pay for a service I did not request and a service that I had done two weeks before they claimed to have done the cleaning. Ihave sent a letter staing my position and called several times to speak to customer service. Ned Stevens is still sending a bill--I consider it harrassment at this point since they have a recording that clearly states I did not want the service and signed no contract. Do not use this company!

• Mi
      17th of Apr, 2010

I received a bill today claiming they (Ned Stevens) cleaned my gutters on 3/10/10. First of all i was home that day and nobody cleaned any gutters. Second the gutters were overflowing with debris it was clear they were never cleaned. After my husband argued for 1/2 hour with no results- we told them to stop by and look at the gutters. They did and then claimed the worker must have went to the wrong house. They then asked if i wanted to still have my gutters cleaned. I said NO WAY!
    In addition the picture they claimed the worker took of the clean gutters was unable to be found once they showed up at my house. Sure there never was one!

19th of Apr, 2010

Tonya, you asked to be put on an automatic service schedule, which is different from a service plan. The service plan is pre-paid, while the automatic schedule is a bill at the time of service plan. I have listened to the call, and the service was in fact clearly authorized. We were only doing what you asked of us.

We are A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau and A/B+ rated on Angie's List. This is not due to luck, but due to hard work and striving to get better every single day. We have been in business since 1965 and want to earn our customer's trust and respect.

That being said, with regard to Michele, I am at a loss. Our Quality Control department investigated your complaint and found that the crew serviced the wrong home. While mistakes are a part of life, the crew was immediately taken off the road and suspended indefinitely, unpaid of course.

Our offer of service was an offer of FREE service. In other words, as an apology for our mistake, we were willing to do work for you for FREE.

We have been servicing customers for 45 years, and we work very hard to make everyone happy. You let us know what we can do for you to make up for our mistake, and make you HAPPY!

• Pi
      14th of Jan, 2011

Ned Stevens is cheaper than most because they use illegals that don't speak English. Then when you tell Ned that you don't do business with companies that hire illegals he asks "what does it matter?"
    A real arrogant, aggressive man that owns this place. He's a jerk and I would NEVER use them again

• Ji
      17th of Jan, 2011

I am seeing a horrendous pattern of Ned Stevens being a fraud...If you search Ned Stevens all you find ins mincontent and the same sad sorry story...STAY AWAY!!!

20th of Jan, 2011

We can't make everyone happy, but we can try (and yes every single gutter cleaner is an employee--not independent contractor--and every one is clearly documented). What I said is 'what does it matter that they don't speak English. Most of our grandparents didn't speak English either, and they not only worked hard, but were APPRECIATED by the people who they worked for).
    I received this review recently (copy and paste verbatim): "Ned---We received excellent service today--- very professional, thorough, and friendly. We are very satisfied with your work!!!" I received this earlier (copy and paste) "Your level of customer service is EXCELLENT! Thank you!" And recently received this (copy and paste verbatim): "Thank you for your commitment to great service - that's why I never hesitate to renew my contract! The leaves are all down now, so when your team is in this vicinity, I would really appreciate it if they could give the gutters a final clear out." I received this one a few weeks ago (copy and paste verbatimredacted to remove employee name and cust address): "Today I signed up for service to my gutters at 2 locations (the operator)was very nice, courteous, informative and professional. He is a VERY good representative for your company." And, I received this recently (copy and paste verbatim) " your company is excellent, especially for a seemingly impersonal industry where you never talk to or even see the service tech, but its always good, clean, & efficient. Gentleman on phone is always pleasant and gets the job done. Thanks so much. As long as that continues, I have no reason to go elsewhere. Happy Holidays!"
    We know it is not possible to make every single customer happy, but we absolutely TRY. I am sorry each of you are upset, but if you call and ask for the manager, I will figure it all out once and for all.

• Mo
      14th of Jun, 2011

i have been using NS for the last four years. I scheduled the spring cleaning a couple of weeks or so ago. A couple of days before they were supposed to come out, i got a call and the rep told me they had to increase the fee by 80%!!! NICE JOB NS!!! YOU JUST LOST A LOYAL CUSOMTER!!!

• Ne
      17th of Jun, 2011

While we are sorry you are upset, our prices have to be fair to BOTH of us. We cannot afford to lose money on a job, and still provide the level of quality that comes with our 48 years of experience and A+ Rating. I think you would agree that price is important, but quality is everything. Our price is commensurate with our level of quality. While other companies clean gutters for less money, they are not insured, they do not guarantee their work, and their quality is awful. Again, we are sorry to have upset you. We are just being fair to everyone involved.

24th of Jul, 2018

I impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon. Gutter Repair