nco financial systems / Fraud business practices!

On 1/13/07 i received a notice from nco financial services telling me that verizon had placed my account with them for collection. I also tried to contact these individuals and each time i thought i had gotten through the person answering would ask me to please hold and hold and hold. They never came back to talk to me. I attempted this several times with the same results each time. I have every intention of contacting verizon tomorrow and inform them of what i have discovered. I would also like to thank ComplaintsBoard.com because without reading the other responses from individuals i would not have known of the problems other individuals were having with this same company. Thanks very much.

Va

Comments

• Va
      19th of Jan, 2007

Right about 11am today (1/18/07), my cell phone rang.. but, instead of hearing a voice, I heard a recording, saying, someone will handle YOUR CALL in a moment-- sorry for the delay.

I found this strange, as I don't have this number published to anyone. So, I "waited" for whomever was calling to inform them to take MY number off their calling list. Finally, after a minute of "premium" time, some guy with broken English wanted to know if the person he was talking to was me. I demanded to know the name of the firm calling and what type of business they were in. He told me after a couple of tries. NCO Financial Services. I had never heard of them. He then asked again if this were me. I said, ummm, no, but you can remove my number from your call lists,, as this is a cell phone and I get charged minutes for taking your call, and then hung up. I'll be interested to see if they call again, as some other reporters have written, and will carry it to the next level which would filing a complaint with the FCC & BBB (though, the later is useless for the most part)

7th of Feb, 2007

I mailed in a check to NCO and was contacted by a very rude person from NCO telling me it should have arrived. It had only been 3 days. I tried to say that postal mail could take up to 5 to 6 days to be delivered, but the woman began yelling at me so I hung up. This company should be closed down - the people are rude, and unprofessional!

16th of Feb, 2007

Hello my name is Robert I work for nco financial services. I cant believe the garbage i have read on this site about the company.

We are very fdcpa compliant and if we have broken fdcpa laws it is mainly because debtors give misleading information to dodge their debt. For instant we run live messengers that leave messages on consumers voicemail which is totally legal considering our skip tracing team was given numbers that were deemed to be accurate the proper thing to if the number is bad is just to call and tell us and we would simply remove the number. I find reviews about our company to be even partially true. All i have to say if debtors dont like phone calls they should pay their bills like any other normal human being. About 90 percent of the people I talk to have in collections for over 2 months and clearly show no intention of paying their accounts simply tell us you are refusing to pay and we will send it back to our client and as far as rudeness if debtors payed their bills on time they would still have customer service we are not customer service. People need to grow up and get a life I think the us should be name United States Of The Offended. What a bunch of low life deadbeat crybabies.

22nd of Feb, 2007

NCO has been calling our unlisted LANDLINE to collect from a welfare loser name Brain Day! They call everyday and will not remove out #. This number was Brian Days cell # in 2004! We were assigned this # by the phone company when we moved into a new house. They are harassing non English speaking losers just like the ghetto blaster they lent the money too!

• Si
      26th of Aug, 2007

I also work for Nco Financial Services and honestly having idiotic consumers like you guys trust me its very hard to deal with that ###. I work for the prelegal department and i get ###s that dont pay ### for 6 months and scream when we call. excuse me but when you had a ###ing minimum payment on ur first bill of 10 dollars and u couldnt pay it? You guys think we don't note the files? Just like when u guys ### that we got the wrong number...and wonder why we keep calling...trust me we know more than u ###s think. It's like sitting on the other side and screaming on the fone and hanging up not wanting to hear our side...if were trying to help...if we wanna advise u of something...Seriously consumers make it seem as if THEY ARE DOING US a favor by making a payment..lol...its ur credit not ours. We have parents that get their 3 year old children to pick up and say theyre not home..common. We deal with millions of consumers a day and we get about the same 5 different ### lies everyday..so dont think were falling for anything. The company isn't even half as bad as it seems..honestly i know we can get annoying..id hate to be called all day too..and i hate calling the same ppl all day too...but i dont understand people who pick up everyday and say "hes not home" (talkin about himself) and not out somwhere looking for a job.

• Ri
      25th of Sep, 2007

What part of unsecure Credit or Loan Do you not UNDERSTAND! You,"NCO", are the idiots for not backing credit by collateral.

• Nc
      28th of Sep, 2007

I have to say after reading the nco employees comments i would side with anyone against these rude obnoxious bottom dwellers. This is horrible biz practice.

• To
      21st of Oct, 2007

I had a bill with NCO, I paid it off. Now they are charging me interest on a balance of zero, i owe them $25.00 this month. I would like any NCO employees to justify that, charging interest on zero.

28th of Mar, 2008

Yep, after reading the comments posted by those nitwit employees of NCO my opinion has been confirmed... you are a bunch of illiterate idiots who couldn't get a decent paying respectable job if you tried. Did NCO pull you guys off the welfare line? Or did you drop out of school for this wonderful "career"? Who, other than NCO, would hire you?

Your ###ic use of profanity, the thoughtless, disrespectful and repetetive use of the term "###" simply demonstrates not only your lack of class, but also your utter lack of intelligence and education as well as the complete lack of integrity that obviously applies to everyone at NCO. Clearly, this is typical of your behavior on the job as well.

NCO has been slapped with the largest penalty ever by the FTC ($1.5 million) for the extremely deceptive, fraudulent and misleading collection tactics they use to extort huge amounts of money from what they hope are unsuspecting consumers. When caught using this scam tactic by those who know what they are talking about and those who know federal and state law, they reluctantly and grudgingly apologize for the "error" and back off.

WARNING: NCO constantly sends bogus collection letters to consumers using invalid accounts numbers trying to collect on accounts that never existed with any institution, or on accounts that were paid off or charged off years ago (long after the statute expired) in the hope that unsuspecting consumers will agree to make payments under the threat of legal action. If you stand up to the bully that NCO is and file complaints with the FTC, the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office (Penn. is where NCO is based and there is an online complaint form on the Penn. Atty. Gen. website - it is free), as well as the Attorney General's office in your state, they will back down. Be sure to send copies of your letters to the Atty. Gen. to NCO's legal department. Demand that NCO provide you with all documented evidence proving that you legitimately owe the debt. It is THEIR responsibility to prove that you owe the money - it is NOT your responsibility to prove that you don't. They are LEGALLY required to supply you with any and all information regarding the debt or they cannot go forward with any collection activity, nor can they legally post anything to your credit reports. Include in your letter that they are to immediately stop making all contact with you except to tell you that they are terminating collection action.

NEVER agree to make a payment and NEVER send them any payments. If you do, the debt is considered "renewed" and the statute of limitations on the debt begins to run all over again (check your state for the statute) as well as the legal time debts and collection activity can be reported to and remain on your credit report (seven years). Agreeing to make a payment or sending a payment is the ONLY way a debt can be renewed; debts are NEVER renewed because you talk to someone or send them a letter, or simply because they are sold to another collection company so don't be fooled by that line by some unscrupulous debt collector - and they WILL try to intimidate and scare you with that line. Collection agencies are always buying and selling debt for pennies on the dollar, never for the actual "face" amount they are trying to collect.

Do a Google search and read the Fair Credit Reporting Act and go the Federal Trade Commission website for more information on your credit rights under federal law. This is how you beat bullies like NCO at their own game. Hang tough, you will prevail!

28th of Mar, 2008

I'd like to add to the above Michigan Consumer post: DO NOT EVER GIVE YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER OR ANY OTHER PERSONALLY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION (such as your address, phone number, place of employment, other account numbers, etc.) TO ANY COLLECTION AGENCY OR DEBT COLLECTION CALLER. ONLY USE THE ACCOUNT NUMBER THEY HAVE ASSIGNED TO YOU. THEY CAN FIND WHATEVER INFORMATION THEY NEED WITH THEIR OWN ACCOUNT NUMBER EVEN IF THEY TRY TO TELL YOU OTHERWISE. INSIST UPON ONLY USING THEIR ACCOUNT NUMBER, AND ALWAYS REFER TO A DEBT AS BEING "NON-VALID" IF YOU KNOW THAT THE ACCOUNT NUMBER IS FALSE. The less you say to them, the better. Keep your answers vague. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS. HOWEVER, THEY MUST ANSWER YOURS!! Although they probably won't, because that's just they way they are.

NCO may try to tell you that the "account" was not included in a previous bankruptcy. Even if you have declared bankruptcy in the past, do not tell them so - remember, be vague with your responses to them! - and do not let this tactic intimidate you, because all your debts are usually included in any bankruptcy proceeding. Companies like NCO regularly search public records and are prepared to use this information to scare you into sending them money. Debts included in bankruptcy proceedings have been legally charged off in federal court and are NO LONGER collectible. The institution where the debt originated took a tax write-off on that debt anyway, but that doesn't stop them from selling the old debt to companies like NCO.

There are many, many websites with postings about NCO and their fraudulent activities. A Google search will return hundreds of these websites with loads of useful information (check out www. /link removed/ for lots of info.). The Federal Trade Commission has a free online complaint form, as do most Attorney General offices in each state. The complaint forms are free and so are the online complaints.

A Google search will also give you samples of cease and desist letters to use when corresponding with collection agencies. Remember, the collection agency is legally required to provide you with ANY AND ALL information they have regarding any debt they are trying to collect. If they do not provide you with that information, they cannot continue moving forward with collection activity.

Google the FDCPA and FCRA for more good information on your rights under federal and state law.

28th of Mar, 2008

Block your number when calling any collection agency by dialing *67 before their number. If this feature isn't available where you live, call from somewhere other than your home, cell phone or place of business or they will trace your number and start calling you.

• Pa
      1st of Apr, 2008

I've read both sides of it, NCO employees call the consumers "###s" and the people say they're lazy, uneducated fat ###. My estranged wife works for NCO in Mobile Alabama and I'll have you know she BARELY graduted high school and she has dropped out of community college not once, but TWICE because she's an ignorant ### ###. She has kept this job for almost 4 years now because she gets to sit on her fat ### and talk on the phone all day everyday while supporting her vietnamese house husband while he does the dishes and prepares her meals. She also abandoned her 3 children in the middle of the night leaving without a damn thing, no money, no food, not even a note as to where she was going. Yeah, NCO is a real moral facility of employment. If You would like to inform this child abondoning whore exactly how you feel her name is April Hook and her number is 251-665-5600 Ext. 2981. If you do, please, email me and tell me about it. Take out some aggressions on NCO's employees.

• Te
      4th of Apr, 2008

Announcement: The Cyber War against NCO financial has begun. We are beginning by offering you this quick easy method in social engineering.

step 1: when NCO calls, apologize for your late payment, be nice.

step 2: explain that you are moving or have moved and that you need to change your phone number.

step 3: give them the phone number of a member of congress or an individual at the FCC INSTEAD OF YOUR NUMBER.

step 4: They will ask you for your new address, say that you are not sure yet and that you will call back to update that later that you are late for work.

step 5: smile as you realize that they are now harassing the government instead of you.

More to come NCO. You threw the first stone... now, we're just going to ### you up. Oh, and we are pretty sure we can track down the smart ### mother ###ers who posted above. We hope you like spam ### suckers. ### us? NO ### YOU!

COPY AND PASTE THIS MESSAGE TO AS MANY MESSAGE BOARDS YOU CAN FIND ON THIS TOPIC. DO YOUR PART IN THE CYBER WAR AGAINST NCO FINANCIAL. WE'RE GOING TO JAIL OVER THIS ###, SO, WE JUST WANT TO SAY YOU'RE WELCOME IN ADVANCE.

MORE TO COME... LOTS MORE... YOU LIKE AUTO DIALER? WE LIKE BULK MAILER... LET'S SEE WHO IS TRULY THE KING OF THIS ###.

THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY:

CYBER HITLER

• Ne
      11th of May, 2008

By rule of thumb I block repeat phone call
    no matter whom it is from if no message is left.
    Not shure if it is them using a unknown
    name, unknown number and hanging up.
    If it is them, at least leave a name and number.
    I can be rude as well by answering the phone
    with a Co2 horn!!!
    Maybe you should do the same.

12th of May, 2008

My wife just received the same Verizon / NCO notification notice which was completed invalid and neither of us had evidence of validity.

You can see by the responses from apparent NCO employees that they are unprofessional. If a real, professional representative of any company takes the time to post a response you'd figure it wouldn't be laced with profanity and unfounded accusations.

Follow the advice posted all over the internet if received unfounded notices from NCO.

3rd of Sep, 2008

nco financial systems took moneys out of my banking acct. but I do not know what for or how they got access to my account. My bank says they had my acct numbers, but I never gave any authorization for a withdrawal of funds by anyone but me, they used an electronic check with no signiture from me. I don t owe anyone, at least they could have sent me a bill first to me a chance to pay. So what do I do now?

• Je
      2nd of Jun, 2009

The FCC has refused to take action against harassing phone calls placed by NCO on wireless lines.

NCO started their campaign of telephone harassment while I was on vacation with the family in Disney on May 7. I am standing on line for the Great Movie Ride in Hollywood Studios. They leave a pre-recorded message wanting a call back with a collection disclaimer and they say the bill they are collecting is on behalf of Bank of America, they provide an accunt number and a dollar amount. They threaten to feeze all of my bank/credit accounts unless I call back immediately. I was concerned, because I didn't know of any past due accounts. The account number was unrecognized, and it seemed they were clueless that I only had one credit card with the bank and a really small Pension from the days I worked as a receiptionst 20 years ago for a local predecessor bank that had eventually been acquired by Bank of America.

I get 6 calls that day - only one message - the rest all hang ups. I wound up shutting down my cell phone and not even bringing it with me when touring the parks. By the time I got home on May 10 - three days later, I had 42 hang up calls from NCO.

I called the bank Monday morning May 11 and they said all my accounts are in good standing. In fact they already acknowledged I paid off my credit card in full from vacation via an online transfer, and it was pending process and would be complete in 24-48 hours. They searched by address, social, account numbers, even by dollar amounts and there was not account in my name. Bank of America has stated they are in no eway affiliated with NCO. They do not use NCO for collections and they said I should not give them any information or money.

NCO calls again, I am told to "hold on" by their recording for "someone will be with you shortly to discuss your collection account". The first words out of their mouth is phishing for name, social, and other personal info. I give them my cell# and tell them to stop calling. Long story short, they threatened law suits, extremely unprofessional talking over top of me, not listening, and making every effort to provoke me to lose control of the coversation. These are known tactics people phishing for info use. If you lose your cool, you say something in anger they later use against you. NEVER lose your temper with people like this, just hang up and don't argue. Report them to the powers that be.

So, I took my own advice since they refuse to listen. Reported the incident and details to the FTC, Attorney General in my State and PA where they are located, the BBB, reported each harassing follow up hang up and line seizure call to the FCC, and the Comptroller of Currency to see if they can covince Bank of America to take action against a company harassing me in their name for a bill that they have no record of as well as publically advise people to do the same and share their stories.

The FTC responded with a letter referring me to their website for a summary of my rights. They will not take action.

To date, it has been 45 days since I FedExed my complaints to the Attorney General in my state and PA - no response.

FCC refused to pursue despite the fact they are using an automated dialing system to seize my wireless number, and cause significant expense by not disconnecting the call. I have filed a complaint with my company to pursue for company billable minutes in their campaign of terror. Maybe we could all track those billable minutes and put NCO in collection for unpaid wireless charges.

I reported them to child welfare for terrorizing a minor as my phone was answered by my neice, a minor child when my hands were full and I was expecting an important business call. Child welfare, loved the report as the woman taking the call was a victim of NCO's predatory phishing and she is looking for a way to escalate. The child came to get me and said it was not my client but some man telling her that her "mommy" was going to jail unless she paid them for Bank of America. The young teen got an education that evening as I explained to her how predators like this work and shared with her credit rights, and how people have been taken advantage of. I was impressed to learn she already knew about phishing from an internet safety class they took in school. It was built into the Health Education Program. Obviously NCO knew all about me assuming the child was my daughter.

I am also trying to solicit involvement from the Department of Banking and Comptroller of Currency to launch investigations against NCO for fraudulently phishing for information in the name of Bank of America, when the Bank has stated they have no affiliation with the company.

That's about it on my list for now.

• St
      19th of Aug, 2009

I received a phone call from this people who said, i am calling in behave of an attorney, and the bill is from NCO Financial. Never heard of that company before and started to worried me. Any how i ask how much is the bill for he stated 3500 dollars... I said give me your address so i can send you a check. They told me its over seas. I knew right away that something was wrong. Cause i don't have a bill that outstanding... Be Careful i feel real sorry for are elders. cause this people probably could scam them... be careful for a phone number..305-728-3048

• Do
      21st of Aug, 2009

If anyone here gets a letter from NCO please go directly to http://www.creditboards.com/forums. The people there are all like you and are very knowledgeable in collection agencies and credit laws. They are consumers helping consumers. It is FREE and you will learn so much about your rights as a consumer. Do NOT talk to or call these people on the phone. Do NOT admit to owing them anything or agree to set up payments, do NOT send them any money. Please follow my advice and go to CreditBoards! They WILL help you!

• Jl
      11th of Sep, 2009

I keep getting harassing calls from these freaks about people with the same last name as mine. Absolutely no relation, yet the calls keep coming. Last May my wife and I refinanced our home and we both had credit scores over 750... These mutants at NCO remind me of hitler's brown-shirts...
    What is this country coming to?